Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

“Julian, read me one more story?” Tanner asked from his race car shaped twin bed that had arrived around midday. Marcus had been grateful that it and Audrey’s canopy bed had come that day because it had given him something to do with his hands… something to keep his mind off of how badly he longed to have his hands on Abbey.

“He’s already read you three,” Marcus grumbled, eager for bedtime.

Audrey giggled and tugged at his scruffy beard, “Are you done with her hair?” she questioned, pointing to the doll in Marcus’s hand.

Marcus looked at the lopsided pony tails and nodded, “Yep.”

“You aren’t very good at hair,” Audrey noted.

“Alright, you two, you’ve kept Marcus and Julian busy long enough. They might be suckers for you antics but I’m not. It’s time for bed,” Abbey scolded with a smile as she stepped into the bedroom.

Desire flamed to life inside Marcus the moment he saw her. Her hair was in a sloppy ponytail and she was wearing one of Julian’s button up shirts and a pair of black leggings that hugged the curves of her calves. Marcus’s mouth watered at the thought of running his tongue along each and every line and curve of that soft body of hers. She was what he wanted, what he needed, what his mind and body hungered for every second that he breathed, even his dreams were full of the little minx.

“But mommy!” Tanner whimpered. “I want one more story!” He rubbed at his sleepy red eyes and Abbey shook her head.

“We’ve had a busy day, bub, and you’re exhausted. Tell Marcus and Julian good night and I’ll tuck you both in and sing your lullaby.”

Marcus smiled as Audrey hugged him tight. He stood from the bed, rising to his full height and towering over the little girl, “Tomorrow I’ll teach you how to use a lasso just like I promised. You’ll be ready for the rodeo come summer.” Marcus winked at Audrey as she giggled and snuggled up under the blankets he slid over her.

Marcus passed Julian as the two switched pups. They had offered them separate bedrooms but the siblings had insisted on staying together so that’s what had happened.

Marcus stood over Tanner who stared up at him with sleepy green eyes that looked so much like his mother’s. Marcus loved these pups. There was nothing he would not do to keep them happy and safe. There was nothing he would not give them to see a smile on their faces.

“Marcus, can I be in the rodeo too?”

“Well I don’t see why not,” Marcus replied with a wink. “You’re the best cowboy this ranch has ever seen.”

Tanner smiled, “I love you, Marcus,” he whispered sleepily.

Marcus kissed his brow and pulled the covers up to his chin, “Love ya too, cowboy, now get some sleep.”

As Marcus and Julian left the room, they both paused beside Abbey and breathed in her scent. Her arousal was like a drug raging through Marcus’s blood and he couldn’t stop the growl from rumbling out of his chest before forcing his feet to carry him from the room.

“Marcus, where did we put those candles we bought for power outages?” Julian asked when the brothers entered the kitchen. They both knew that Abbey’s nighttime routine with the pups would take close to thirty minutes.

“Why do we need candles?” Marcus asked, opening the refrigerator to find something to eat. He needed anything to keep his mind off of Abbey and what they would be sharing just as soon as she came down those stairs.