Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

                “Jason, are you sure this is the right way?” Joseph asked as they rode along the deserted mountain road. The roads were nearly impassable for their rented SUV and darkness was closing in around them while fresh snow continued to fall.

                They had been heading west all day, following the tracker on the truck Abbey had stolen from him, but surely there had to be some mistake. Why would his wife, stupid as she was, ride up into the mountains with roads this treacherous and getting worse by the moment?

                “This is the road the GPS said she was on,” Jason replied irritably as he pointed to the nearly snow covered road sign as they passed by it. “Although I don’t see how in the hell she got up here in that old truck.”

                “Sheer stupidity brought her up here,” Joseph sneered.

                Jason shook his head, “More like fear.”

                “Well she should be afraid. When I get my fucking hands on her I’m gonna…. What the hell was that?” Joseph craned his neck around and looked out at the darkness and snow around them but couldn’t see much of anything.

                “What did you see?” Jason demanded.

                “I don’t know… it was big though, and black. Do they have bears out here?”

                “Shit, I don’t know,” Jason snorted, “We’re out in the middle of nowhere.”

                Joseph flashed a grin, “You reckon it was bigfoot?” The brother shared a laugh and then Joseph yelled Jason’s name when he turned his gaze forward again and saw the tree lying across the tight, winding road.

                Jason slammed the brakes and Joseph gripped the dash board as he was thrown forward and the SUV fish-tailed while sliding across the thick snow.

                His heart was pounding with fear and adrenaline but somehow Joseph managed to chuckle nervously once the SUV came to a stop. He squinted through the darkness and falling snow to see the edge of the mountain ledge only twenty feet away from the hood.  The glow of the headlights illuminated the sheer drop as well as the edge of the large pine that had their path up the mountain blocked.

                “Looks like the end of the road for us, Joe.”

                “Like hell it is,” Joseph spat as he threw open the SUV door. Cold air and snow blasted into the vehicle.

                “Shut the door! It’s too damned cold out there!”  Jason complained.

                “”No. We’re going to move this tree. I want to find that bitch tonight.” Joseph was done letting Abbey make such a fool of him. The bitch was going to pay and she was going to pay with her life.