Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

                "What is your mommy's favorite dinner?" Julian asked Tanner as the two of them stood side by side in the empty kitchen and stared at the cabinets.

                "Sloppy Joes!" Tanner exclaimed with a bounce.  

                Julian frowned and looked down at the boy doubtfully, "Are you sure that's your mommy's favorite or is it Tanner's favorite?" he questioned, tweaking the boys tiny nose gently.

                Tanner laughed and ran away from him before leaping up into a stool, "My favorite!"

                Julian laughed as he leaned against the counter and crossed his arms over his chest, "What's your mommy's favorite then?"

                Tanner made a big show of shrugging, "I dunno."

                Shaking his head, Julian glanced out the window at the men finishing up their workday. There really wasn't much to do most days during the winter months and they'd all be leaving before four. Julian wanted to make tonight special for Abbey. He wanted to cook her favorite meal, focus on her happiness, show her that not only would Marcus and he protect her and satisfy her sexually but that they also genuinely cared about her happiness.

                He was sure that Marcus would grumble about Julian bothering him while he had alone time with Abbey but he wanted to know what her favorite meal was so Marcus would have to get over it.

                (Marcus?)

                Several long seconds passed before Marcus replied, (What do you want?)

                (I need you to ask Abbey a question for me.)

                (Needy, that's what you are,) Marcus laughed. Julian realized his brother and Abbey must be having a good time because the gruff, normally grumpy man seemed to be quite cheerful. (We're standing beside the truck waiting on Audrey to get out of school... what do you want me to ask?)

                (I need to know what Abbey's favorite meal for dinner is.)

                There was a pause and then Marcus was back, (She said she doesn't care what you make for dinner.)

                (That's not what I told you to ask.)

                (Hold the fuck on then you pain in the ass and I'll ask again!) There was the brother that Julian knew and loved. Julian rolled his eyes and waited on Marcus to speak again. (She said she doesn't know.)

                (Doesn't know? How can the woman not know?)

                (I don't know, genius. You're the smart brother, remember? And I'm not about to question her about it anymore because she's tearing up over here. You've made her cry.. or made me make her cry. Good job!)

                Guilt tore at Julian, (How did I do that?!)

                (I don't know but buy her a necklace,) Marcus chuckled quietly. (She loves necklaces.)

                Julian didn't take the time to try to figure out what his brother was talking about. Instead he closed the link and sighed, "Guess what, Tanner?"