Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

                Abbey could barely feel her legs as she approached the truck, weaving almost drunkenly. Her mind was still floating somewhere in the clouds and she knew she had a goofy smile on her face yet was unable to do anything about it.

                Never in her entire life had Abbey imagined that something sexual could be so….. enjoyable! Naturally she had known that it must feel good to most people because most people enjoyed the act but never had it been something pleasant for Abbey.

                Marcus had just taken her straight to heaven inside that barn and it had only taken him a matter of moments. She could only imagine what the man could do with a little more time.

                Abbey stepped toward the truck door which Julian was waiting to close behind her and she nearly fell face first into the truck when Julian leaned into her and sniffed her neck and her knees buckled.

                A low growl emitted from his chest and sent Abbey’s thighs quivering, “I’ll be right back,” he ground out before taking one last long sniff and striding off toward the barn.

                Abbey was shaking as she got into the truck and Tanner clambered into her lap. Was Julian mad? Had Abbey done something wrong with Marcus? Hadn’t Julian told her that she was meant to be both of their mates? Or were they constantly going to be fighting over her?

                Abbey chewed at her thumb nail as she watched the barn, anticipating seeing both of them come flying out in a tangle of fists.  Instead Julian stepped out first shaking his head while Marcus followed behind, his laughter ringing out in the morning air.

                Marcus offered her and the children a wave before heading toward the second barn and Julian got into the driver side of the truck and slammed the door. As he fired the truck to life Abbey glanced cautiously at him to see that his jaw was tense, his hands were gripping the wheel tightly and he was staring straight ahead.

                “Are you okay?” Abbey whispered.

                “Sure,” Julian replied before put the truck in gear and pulled out of the drive.

                Abbey knew he was lying. The man was clearly far from okay but why? What had she done wrong and what was going through Julian’s mind?

                Audrey and Tanner quickly filled the awkward silence inside the truck cab with renditions of ‘Ol’ McDonald’ that included alligators, eagles and chipmunks. Abbey found herself laughing and singing along with them, her worry over Julian’s temper fading when he did the same.

                They made the forty-five minute drive into town and Julian pulled in front of a tiny clothing store that was nestled on mainstreet between a grocery store and the bank, “We should be able to find plenty of clothes for you and the pups here. We’ll head to the school when we’re done here and see about getting Audrey enrolled.”