Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

                Abbey's mind was not on her task as she laid out Audrey's clothes and helped Tanner into his. Tanner seemed to notice her distraction when she tried to shove the poor boy's head through his sleeve hole.

                "Mommy!" he exclaimed impatiently.

                Audrey giggled as Abbey quickly apologized and righted the shirt.

                Moments later she was going through the motions and helping them brush their teeth but her mind wasn't on the task. Her mind was still down in that kitchen and the conversation she had eavesdropped on.

                Joseph and Jason were dead.

                Marcus had killed them to protect her and the children.

                Marcus had stated, without any doubt in his voice, that he would die to keep them safe and Julian had seemed to agree. And they hadn't been saying those things just to impress her because they hadn't even known she was there.

                There was so much to think about that Abbey's mind had trouble thinking of anything! There was no more Joseph. No more looking over her shoulder. No more wondering when he would finally find her and put her in her grave. No more bruises and beatings. No more fear that she would say the wrong thing, walk the wrong way, burn supper, fold his shirts wrong, talk to the wrong person in public and earn herself a few well-placed punches and kicks.

                Abbey didn't realize she was crying until Audrey reached up and wiped at her wet cheek, "What's wrong, mommy?"

                Abbey sniffed loudly and wiped her face clean with the back of her arm, "Nothing at all is wrong, my angel."

                "Are my teeth clean, mommy?" Tanner questioned before giving her a big smile that revealed pretty much every tooth in his head.

                "Sparkling, bub," Abbey tousled his dark hair. She felt lighter than she had in years which was bad considering she'd just found out that one of the men she was living with had murdered her husband and brother wasn't it?

                She couldn't convince herself that it was. Joseph and Jason had been bad men; evil men. Joseph had been mean, cruel and abusive. He'd been a thief, alcoholic and drug user and Jason had covered for him, protected him, supplied him.

                Jason was the reason that Abbey had never been able to get help for Joseph or for herself. She felt sorry for Kyle losing his father but not for Samantha. Maybe Abbey was just bitter but she hated Samantha. She had gone to the other woman once hoping that she would help her but Samantha had simply wrung her hands, shook her head and told her that she wasn't about to get involved in something like that.

                "Mommy, are you sure you're okay?" Audrey's voice questioned again.

                "Yeah, mommy's just thinking is all. How about you go down and see if Julian needs help with breakfast? I think he was cooking eggs."

                "Yummy!" Tanner cried and like a couple of rockets the two children took off down the hall.

                Abbey heard their feet thumping down the stairs and she stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her full lips had more color lately as did her cheeks. She had to admit that her green eyes didn't look as dull as they once had and even her brunette hair seemed lighter. These last few days with Julian and Marcus had done her good...... and they'd been better for her children who were finally laughing, playing, happy and had full stomachs.