Chapter 18

I was waiting for Joe to return home from his trip and I was beyond excited... Dying to see him so when there was a knock on the door. I was kinda surprised anyone would be knocking on my door at this hour.... But i went to answer it and an officer stood at my front door.

“Mallory Taylor?” he asked. I nodded.

“Yes?” I asked. He sighed.

“May I come in?” he asked, gently. I nodded, and moved aside for him to enter into me and Joe’s home. He came in and had me take a seat on the sofa, as Denise came out of the kitchen.

“Mallory, what’s going on?” she asked. I shrugged and the officer looked at her confused.

“And who are you?” he asked. She smiled and offered her hand.

“Denise Jonas, her future mother in law....” she said. I giggled, seeing as how Joe had even proposed yet.

“OH, mother of,” he said, then checked his notebook, “Joseph Jonas.” She nodded, a brow raised, and he sighed, “Please, have a seat.” I was worried suddenly. Curious as to why things were being done this way, why anything that involved me, would involve Denise.

“Joe was scheduled to return home today correct?” he asked. I nodded again, even more confused, “Well, he arrived at LAX about two hours ago..... He boarded into his SUV with his bodyguard, Mitch, and they headed in this direction, and about five miles outside of LAX there was an accident.”

“An accident?!” Denise said, as my tears sprung immediately, “Is he alright?!”

“Ma’am, I don’t know how to tell you this... but your son...” he said, ‘Him and his bodyguard both were killed instantly....” I let our a soft cry and buried my face into Denise’s shoulder, her gripping me tightly.

‘Are you sure it’s him?” she asked, in tears. The officer nodded and handed her a photo of Joe, one form the accident, and his face was bleeding slightly, his eyes closed, and sure enough, it was my boyfriend. I broke down further. It couldn’t be... After... After everything we’ve been through... it couldn’t possibly end this way... It can’t.....

“I’m so sorry to come to you with this news... but it’s true... Joe and Mitch are both gone..... Is there anything I can do for you?” he asked. Denise nodded, handing him some number and addresses.

“Call his brothers, and my husband, have them come here,” she said. He nodded and waited, then sighed as i gripped my pregnant stomach. I was pregnant... Joe’s child.... and now he’s gone.. how is this even possible... The officer sighed and stepped outside, as I let out a shrill scream and burying my head in her lap as she tried to stay calm and rub my back. I couldn’t take it... I was a mess, as if someone had ripped my heart from my chest, the air from my lungs.... I literally couldn’t breathe properly.

“He can’t...” I sobbed, ‘He can’t be.. it’s not true... This is all some horrible dream.... It has to be mom... It has to be...” She just hugged me, tightly, crying with me... The next few hours were exhausting and a blur, his family arriving, everyone crying or in silence and shock. Nick and Delta were just stone faced, as if shock had completely taken them over. Kevin held his wife as she sobbed into his shirt, as he tried to stay calm, but the tears were streaming down his face. Paul held onto Frankie who was just as much of a mess as I was, sobbing uncontrollably, as Denise held me to her chest, and her hand protectively over my stomach.

I was feeling and thinking everything she was. This child... this beautiful little baby was all we had left of him.... And come hell or high water, we were gonna protect it...