Chapter 9

So here we are, a few hours later, staring at my phone... just waiting for it to ring... I knew once my Uncle Johnny found out... screw that... once my dad found out about us, we were gonna hear it. We must have been sitting there for like ten minute staring at it, before his phone rang. We were confused, till I seen my uncle’s face flashing on it. Oh god....

“Hello?” Joe said, putting him on speaker.

“Joe... what the hell?!?!?!?!” Uncle Johnny shouted, “Your dating my niece and you can’t have the courtesy to give me a fucking heads up?!” Joe sighed.

“We knew you wouldn’t approve.....”Joe said, softly.

“Your god damn right I don’t approve!!!!” my uncle said, “In one day the press has photos of her crying and arguing with you, then photos of you two practically molesting one another outside her door. Do you have any idea how much this is gonna destroy her, hell destroy YOUR reputation...”

“I don’t give a damn about my reputation...” Joe growled, in a low voice, “It’s not like everyone is not assuming I wasn’t a virgin after Ashley anyways...”

“It’s not the point,” he said, “The point is that now they have proof.”

“We were kissing, nothing else, they have proof of nothing...” Joe stated.

“Again, assumptions... You boys are supposed to be upholding this image of purity till marriage,” Johnny said.

“Ya know what.. your not my dad... or my mother, this is my choice...” Joe said, annoyed.

“But shes MY niece...” he shouted at Joe.

“Your right, I am... but dammit Uncle Johnny, I’m 19 years old.... I am a woman now..” I stated shouting back at him, “This is MY choice, no one else’s... so BACK OFF!”

“Fine, but when he breaks your heart, don’t come crying to me...” he said and hung up. I just slammed my chair back and stood up, pacing the floor. He was angry with me, and my uncle and I had always been so close... Now he was mad... my biggest problem.... I had no idea how bad it was going to be for Joe and I. How many people we were gonna have to fight against us, hope for our failure.

I mean, sure his fans were gonna hope for our failure, just because it’s Joe, and they’re jealous, but to hell with them... It was his family that was gonna surprise me... so when his father’s ring came through I had a horrible feeling...

“Hey dad,” he answered, “Uh huh...” Then he set his phone down and put it on speaker.

“Mallory...” his dad said sternly.

“Mr. Jonas...” I said, softly.

“You two are so careless!!!!!” he said, “I expect this from Mallory, she’s not used to dealing with press, but god dammit Joseph, you know better!!!” I sighed. I hated the fact he was in trouble with his dad. I seen him tense up in anger, his eyebrows furrowing together and his hands clenching roughly into fists on the table. I placed my hand over his, and he gripped my fingers, a small smile spreading over his lips.

“Dad.. I’m 22 years old.... Please... stop telling me what to do...” Joe stated.

“I’m your father, and whether your 22 or 80, I should have a right to state my opinion!” his father said, harshly.

“Well, state it, but don’t talk to me like a child!” Joe argued. I kissed his shoulder softly, his bare skin tensing underneath my lips. He let out a soft sigh and he seemed to calm slightly.

“I am not trying to, but you know this business, you know how you need to behave in public, or they’ll tear you apart,” Paul repeated. Joe sighed.

“I don’t care about the press dad...” Joe said, “I’m happy with Mallory, happier than I’ve ever been... That’s all that matters to me...”

“Joe.. she’s been around her uncle a lot, shopping sprees, and things. She’s had her press....” he said, “Do you have any idea, what’s being said about her?”

“I don’t care,” I stated, “I’m with your son, I’m happy, and I love him... very much...”

“Well, that’s all fine and dandy... But the press has deemed you as a gold digging harlot....” he said, “Someone who wants to corrupt him and take his money... Your being less received with the fans than Camilla....” I was in shock... I hadn’t even hurt Joe... Camilla destroyed him...

“Now dad.. you know as well as I do, Malls is nothing like that succubus,” Joe said. I giggled and smiled at him.

“I know this Joe, but the fans... they don’t like her....” he said.

“I don’t care!” Joe said, “I refuse to let those little fucking teeny bopper brats get in the way of us being happy.... They don’t even know her...”

“Those brats are your fans...” Paul growled harshly, “They buy your records, they put you where you are, Joseph.”

“I’m aware of this, Dad, and I’m beyond grateful,” Joe sighed, “But why is it, that every time I’m happy they have to hate the person I’m with. It’s like the happier I am the more they despise her.....”

“I don’t know Joe, but your mother isn’t happy either...” he said, “You know she’s never liked her...” I was in shock. Mama J didn’t like me? Why?! What could I have done?!

“What did I do?!” I asked, in shock. I was upset now. It’s one thing to not have the fans like me, I figured as much, but his mother?! She could be the deciding vote. Let’s face it, Joe is a mama’s boy... through and through... He adored his mom, and she was his number one girl and I knew this coming into our relationship.

“She had that thing, where she feels like she can sense someone’s character, and she just don’t like you...” Paul stated, simply.

“She barely knows me..” I said, “She met me once and I was 15.....” He sighed.

“I am aware of this, and you were flirting with Nicholas back then, so the fact your interested in Joe now, rubs her the wrong way...” he argued. I just pouted in my chair.

“Fine, but if she got to know me, she’d know better...” I said. His dad just grunted a bit and Joe took his phone off speaker, going into the other room. She hated me.. or at least it sounded like it. Jesus Christ, I was 15.... I was a stupid kid... I’m 19 now... I know better.... I behave better.... Well I know better anyways. But I had a feeling from now on.. Joe and I’s journey was gonna be a hard one... Our lives were not our own.. and our love was always going to be sitting on the edge of disaster.