Chapter 3

After dinner Joe took my plate and I went in to get dressed a little more appropriately for the museum, getting in a pair of washed out jeans and a simple black T shirt. I put my hair up in a messy curly ponytail, grabbed my sunglasses, and my sneakers. I grabbed my purse hooking it over my head to drape it under my arm. I went out to the front yard to see Joe standing by his rental, a little black Mercedes SLK series, and I smiled. Damn he is sexy as hell. He opened my door for me, before walking around to get in the driver’s seat. He smiled at me, before hitting a button and putting the top down. I smiled at him and we pulled out of the drive way.

We drove in silence for a moment, driving down the coast, my hair blowing in the wind, and my eyes closed enjoying the breeze and the sun on my face. I made little waves with my hand out the window, causing Joe to take the other one in his, linking our fingers again. He lifted my hand to his mouth, leaving soft kisses on my knuckles. I opened my eyes to glance over at him, to see him smiling gently at me before looking back out at the road.

“What is it?” I asked, wondering why he was looking a me like that.

“Nothing, your just so.... free...” he said, “Every girl I’ve dated in the past, was always so worried about image and acting proper, you.... your just free... I like that about you....” I smiled and leaned over to kiss his fingertips, then his cheek, letting that one linger for a moment. I felt him move gently into my lips, sighing.

“You drive me crazy you know that?” he asked, his eyes still on the road.

“Why is that?” I asked, smiling softly at him.

“Your just... every little thing you do is so sweet, just holding my hand, kissing my cheek, th littlest things mean so much, and most people don’t appreciate those things, and with you, it’s like you take nothing for granted,” he stated. I blushed.

“I just don’t believe in letting things run through your fingers, if you feel things, you say it, if you wanna do something, do it, if you wanna touch something, touch it, if you want something, get it...” I professed. He chuckled.

“Well, I wanted you, so I got it, I wanted to kiss you so I did,” he started, “I wanna spend every second I can with you, and I plan on it. I feel like a child with you... so vulnerable, so... well like me... I don’t feel like me being a Jonas matters to you and it really just makes me like you more....”

“It doesn’t matter to me...” I confirmed, “Your just Joe to me...” He smiled.

“Exactly,” he said, “God, Mallory, do you have any idea how rare it is to find a California girl who’s down to earth, beautiful, smart and not a gold digger....”

“I am a rare breed,” I teased, He laughed, that amazing laugh of his and hung his head back for a second.

“That you are.....” he said, as we pulled into the museum parking lot. I squealed seeing a garden section in back. Flowers... Romantic... Joe... yup, just more things to add to the perfection that is my day today. We stepped out, after putting the top back up, me fixing my hair, and then walked into the museum, we paid our 5 dollar entry fees, then I dragged him to the entrance to the garden first. When the door open I was in awe. It was beautiful, I just dropped his hand, and walked in, gazing at the amazing roses, wild orchids, and the greenery. I was just smelling everything, touching anything I could before I felt his hand on my lower back. He didn’t interrupt my awe or my child like amazement, just reminding me he was there.

“I love gardens,”I stated, “I’ve always said I wanna get married in a garden...” He smiled.

“Simple,” he confirmed. I nodded.

“Exactly, why spend a fortune on flowers and crap when you can get married at a place like this?” I said, gesturing to our surroundings. He smiled, pulling me to him and crashing his lips to mine. God, every time, it takes my breath away. What is wrong with us? Not even a full day and things were so perfect.

“That is amazing.. a girl usually wants a huge wedding, with flowers and doves and millions of dollars,” he laughed, leaning his forehead on mine. I shook my head.

“It’s not about all that, it’s about you and that other person,” I said, “Whether you get married in a courthouse, a garden or a 300, 00 dollar castle, it’s about the love between two people....” He smiled and kissed my lips.

“Anyways,” he said, “Skipping over the discussions we shouldn’t be having for at least another two years....” I looked up at him my face exploding with a huge grin.

“You think we’ll be together for two years?” I questioned, softly. He smiled and laughed a bit.

“Mallory, I feel different with you... your different, than anyone I’ve ever been with, if things stay this perfect, we could be together longer than that...” he said. I just smiled, linked our fingers together and we continued through the museum, going from the garden to the sculptures to the paintings, everything just putting me in awe. Joe was just listening intently as I spoke passionately about each piece, and explaining techniques and things.

“Geez, Malls, what don’t you know?” he asked, as we exited the museum to the sun setting.

“I don’t know how you plan to keep us a secret,” I chuckled.

“Your just so smart, I feel like a dummy,” he stated.

“You are far from it... I am smart about some things, but I know nothing about music or singing,” I said, “So you got me there... I sound like someone is banging cats against the wall when I sing.” he laughed as he opened my door.

“We’ll see,” he chuckled, before getting in and he drove, but heading in the opposite direction of my uncles. He pulled out his phone and hit a few buttons, before putting it to his ear.

“Hey John, it’s Joe, I’m gonna take Mallory out to Duggan’s,” he said, “Then I was thinking maybe we’ll crash at C’s, that cool with you? Uh huh.. up I hear ya... Alright, thanks man...” He hung up and smiled at me.

“I got you till tomorrow morning...” he said. I smiled at him and then got confused.

“What’s Duncan’s?” I asked.

“Karaoke Bar,” he stated. I shook my head.

“No! Joe, did you not hear me? Bag of cats!” I protested. He laughed.

“Like I said, we’ll see,” he said, and drove a little faster, his hand linked back with mine. I swear, I’ve driven down the California coast before, several times, but with Joe, it was different. The way the sun was setting behind him, the way his facial features seem accentuated, his eyes still had a shine to them, and the slight stubble forming on face. He was just beautiful.

I just leaned my head back, trying to focus my mind on the things that were to come, little did I know I had no idea what was coming.. My entire relationship with Joe would change in a heart beat that night, for the better? For the worse? I didn’t know, but I was gonna find out... sooner than I had hoped.