chapter 2

We spent a lot of time together on the boardwalk, stealing kisses, holding hands. He was perfect, nothing like my uncle claimed him to be. I moved my little fluffy unicorn under my arm and checked my watch, only to notice we’d been gone almost three hours.

“Shit... Joe, we gotta get back...” I said, causing him to check his watch.

“Dammit...” he said, “I was hoping we could avoid that...”

“Why is that?” I asked, with a giggle, and him fixing the little tiara he’d won for me.

“Cuz, if we go back,” he started, before pulling me tight to his chest, “I can’t do this...” Then he leaned down to kiss me again, his arms around my waist. God, his lips never failed to amaze me and every nerve ending in my body. After we pulled away I smiled, pecking them softly one last time.

“I know, but if you don’t take me back, they’ll send out the search party,” I said, smiling up at him. He chuckled and kissed my forehead.

“Come on then,” he said, linking our fingers together. We walked in silence for a second, before I broke it with a nervous cough.

“So... uh.. when can I see you again?” I asked, “I mean, this week...”

“I am sure, I can use the excuse of being your tour guide...” he said, smiling at me. Once we got a little ways down the beach, he attached his ball cap to his belt buckle, with his keys, before smiling back at me. I stopped him for a moment, before removing his sunglasses, to gaze into his chocolate brown eyes.

“Your have the most beautiful eyes, I think I’ve ever seen,” I breathed, quietly, lost in them. They were mesmerizing, like pools of chocolate, with stars in them. He smiled, and leaned down to kiss my lips. It was strange I had never fallen so hard, so fast for anyone in my life. I never believed in love at first sight, or first date in this case, but my stomach had butterflies, my palms were sweating, my heart was racing, and the thought of him being away from me, caused my heart to physically hurt. He must have seen the concern and inner battle playing on my face.

“You okay?” he asked, brushing a strand of my blonde hair behind my ear.

“Yeah, just thinking....” I said, smiling, “I just hate that my uncle has to be so judgmental... I really like you......”

“I really like you too, and no worries, we’ll figure it out,” he whispered, before softly kissing my lips again, “Come on, we should get back...” He hooked his sunglasses on his pocket and and linked our fingers again. We only got about another 100 feet before we had to separate, getting closer to my uncle’s. We started playing around, laughing, and trying to play it off as a friend thing, harder than you think, trust me. Especially when all I wanted to do, was toss him to the sand and ride him like a damn bull at a rodeo.

“Mallory, you look like you had fun today,” my uncle chuckled, as we walked up, my feather boa around my neck, my tiara on my head, and my fluffy unicorn under my arm. I nodded.

“Definitely, Joe’s great company,” I said, smiling at him, then held up my unicorn, “It’s so fluffy Im gonna die!!!!”

“Yeah, that and the fact Mallory sucks at boardwalk games,” he teased, shoving me gently.

“So not true ass!!” I protested.

“Okay, then who won all your pretty toys?” he asked, raising and eyebrow.

“You..” I confessed. He smirked.

“Exactly,” he pointed out, pushing his fingertip to my nose.

“So, you guys hungry?” Uncle John asked. I nodded, and he lifted the cover to the grill to reveal barbecue chicken, ribs, and even hamburgers and hot dogs. Sweet. I moaned in excitement. I loved his barbecue. Joe and I grabbed plates, and me of course, straight for the ribs, some macaroni salad, and some fruit salad. I sat excitedly in my lawn chair, before picking up a rib in my fingers. I took a bite, groaning in enjoyment, not caring about the BBQ sauce that i could feel dripping down my chin. I felt a finger, wipe my chin, causing me to look up and see Joe chuckling at me.

“You don’t play games with that do ya?” he smirked, before sucking his finger dry. Seriously... killing me here....

“Not with Uncle Johnny’s BBQ,” I giggled, “Always so good...”

“So, Joe, I was thinking, this went so well,” Uncle Johnny said, gesturing to the two of us, “How long are you in town for?”

“Just a few days,” Joe replied, looking at him confused.

“Well, I got practice tomorrow,” he said, “You wanna look after her, take her out to do something tomorrow, or even tonight? So she’s not all cooped up.”

“Like a tour guide or a nanny, cuz I don’t babysit...” he chuckled, “Well, I’m not certified here, only in New Jersey.. You couldn’t afford me there.....” I laughed and My uncle rolled his eyes.

“Sure, as a tour guide, she doesn’t a baby sitter...” my uncle chuckled.

“Sure then, I can do that,” Joe said, “I could take her over to the Santa Monica Museum of Art. She was always into that sorts thing.” Art, is he trying to make my heart explode... seriously.

“Oh please?!?!?!?!” I begged, bouncing excitedly. My uncle laughed.

“Well, they are open till nine....” he said, “Hurry up and eat, and Joe can take you tonight...” I squealed excitedly, and continued to eat.

“Awesome, I am so excited,” I said. Joe smiled over at me and I returned it. So I get Art, which by the way I love, in case you haven’t figured it out, and I get more time with Joe. Um yes please..... I hate the fact my head was already playing dirty little scenarios in my head, me and him in a public restroom, my back pressed against the tile wall, his well defined body wrapped between my legs. I shuddered at the thought, causing Joe to chuckle.

“Fidgety much?” he questioned, smiling at me.

“Just thinking,” I repeated.

“You do that a lot huh?” he asked, “Just lose yourself in a day dream.” I nodded and he laughed once again, “Your adorable when your in your own little world, your eyes get all spacey and you bite your bottom lip... which by the way, after watching you eat ribs, I feel sorry for...” Yeah, you wouldn’t be saying that if I was biting on you, Jonas. I chuckled at my own inner joke, causing him to raise his eyebrow again. I just continued to eat and tried not to focus on the upcoming night with him. I was anxious, nervous, everything a girl gets on a first date, but for some reason any time I was gonna get alone with him, I don’t think those butterflies would go away.