Chapter 15 Oct 19

OCTOBER 19

Damian was up before us, and had breakfast almost ready - Steak, eggs and hash browns - yum.

While we ate, we figured out the day. They both had to work, so I suggested "I could go to the library. It’s just a couple blocks from the station. I might be able to find something to help us with ... HIM."

Mason said "I'm on call, so I could go with you. If they call me in, you can go home with Damian."

Damian quickly said "Sounds good to me. How about you, sweetheart."

I nodded happily "Sounds good to me, too. I'll grab the notebook. There might be something in there we've overlooked, or I might find something to add to it."

Mason asked "Where do we even start?"

Damian said "That's a good question. What do you think, sweetheart?"

I said “I’m not sure. I’ll have to think about that.” As I picked up the mess, I suggested "I think Myths and Legends are a good start."

Mason looked at me questioningly "Do you know what your looking for?"

I sighed and said "Not exactly, but I think if we start with shadows or people who can manipulating shadows, we might get a clue. I'm not sure though. It's just a guess at this point."

Damian "That's a pretty good start. Every time we see HIM, it's like he can make the shadows move. Nice work, again, partner."

Mason had come up behind, while I did dishes. He turned me around, putting his arms around me, and smiling wryly, he said "A very good place to start." He's so damn cute! I couldn't say anything, so I smiled and kissed the hell out of him. Well, wouldn't you?

When Mason and I got to the library, we picked a table off by itself. The table was about six foot by four foot, and there was a computer on one end. I sat at the computer, and we looked for anything that included myths or legends about shadows. We got a few book numbers, and pulled them from the shelves. Then we looked up anything that included shadow manipulation and people who could control shadows. We had just written down the book numbers, when Masons' phone rang.

After he hung up the, he said apologetically "That was the hospital. I have to go in. Do you want to go with me, or do you want to go with Damian?"

"I'll check these books out, and go with you. I can go through them at the hospital." We grabbed the twenty or so books and checked out. When we got to the hospital, I took three of the books in with me. I couldn't really make heads or tails out much, and everything seemed to repeat itself in the books. I took a few notes of things that might help.

I had just finished with the books, when Mason came to check on me. He came up behind me and asked "How's it going, love?"

I jumped a little and quickly said "I'm not sure. There's not really much so far. None of these seem to really be what we’re looking for. They're more about hand shadow puppet like stuff. There's a few things in this one about Wiccan beliefs and rituals and things like that, but not really anything like HIM."

Mason suggested "Maybe, there will be something in the other books."

"Hopefully. Are you on a break?"

"Yes, for an hour."

"Good. I could really use a break myself, and some lunch. How about you?"

As he put his hand out to me and smiled, he wryly said "Yes. Shall we head to the lunchroom?"

As I smiled coyly and took his hand, I said "Yes." After we grabbed our lunch, I asked "What was the emergency they needed you in for?"

"An eight car pile-up on the expressway, with twenty-four people with injuries. Fourteen people coming to this hospital, and ten more going to another. There were only two Drs on duty, so they called me in to help."