Chapter 3 Oct 13-14

OCTOBER 13TH

When I woke up there was a note on the bed table thing. I picked it up and read it right away. It was his phone number, address, flight details, class schedule and a very sweet and heartfelt note.

My Sweet Michelle,

I will be counting the seconds until I have you back in my arms. I know you have a very difficult time ahead of you. I wish so much that I could be there for you, but I promise my heart will be there, because I have left it with you. Until I see you again, I will not be complete. I hope you can forgive for me for having to leave you so soon.

All my love,

Mason

I couldn't stop myself from crying a few tears of happiness. I looked at the clock. He would be on the plane right now, and his phone would have to be off. I decided to call and leave a message. The voice mail came on right away ... "This is Dr. Mason Andrews please leave your message, and I'll return your call as soon as I can. If this is Michelle, I will call you first and … I love you." I could even hear the smile in his voice.

I was almost speechless when I heard the beep. All I could say was "I like your message. How could I not forgive you? I'll see you soon, and I love you, too." I hung up. I knew I was smiling. It was so crazy to hear him say ’I love you’, and for me to say it back and mean it, after only be around each other for a day, but it felt good and right. When he was near me, it was like everything and everyone disappeared. I couldn't stop thinking about him, until I heard the door open.

Nurse Mary came in and gently said “I hate to wake you up with such an awful thing, but we need you to come downstairs to …” She paused for a minute and added “the morgue. I’m so sorry.”

I bit my lip hard and nodded. Mary helped out of bed and into a wheelchair, and we went downstairs. I wouldn’t have been able breath without the thought of Mason. My family didn't look horrible or disfigured. They looked like they were sleeping. Yeah, I know, cliché. We quickly went through the horrible process, and Mary took me back up to my room. The rest of the day I spent on the phone to funeral homes, trying to make all the right decisions that were expected of me. I didn't break down and cry, until I had made all the arrangements and filled out all the forms. I cried most of the afternoon and evening, and I barely ate anything. Thinking of how at peace my family looked, started making me feel a little better. I hated the thought of never seeing them again, but I couldn't let them down. They would want me to do what had to be done, and go on to heal from this tragedy.

I don't remember falling asleep, but I do remember The Dream. This time there was a clear face and voice. From the moment it started, I could see Masons face. Mason!? He was the one in the clearing who said "It looks like the whole edge of the tree line is moving from the wind.” I don't know how, but it was definitely him.

OCTOBER 14TH

 When I woke up, I was a bit confused. I couldn't remember where I was at first, and it was really dark. I slowly got myself upright, and started to put things back in order in my head. I thought to myself maybe the people in The Dream weren't clear because I didn't know them yet? Maybe that's why I could see Mason clearly now. After breakfast I remembered, the funeral was tomorrow, and I needed to call everyone. I called all the friends of the family and told them to 'spread the word.’ It was really hard telling people over and over and over what had happened, but I didn’t let myself cry. Mary brought in my dinner while I was on the phone with the last person I had to call. I smiled appreciatively and whispered “Thank you.” After I hung up, I picked at my dinner. I tried to reassure myself that everything happens for a reason. Then instantly thought - ‘But why this?’ ‘Why now?’ ‘What could the reason be for all this?’ I didn't have any answer, which was probably pretty normal. I curled up on my left side and started to fall asleep. When the phone rang, I jumped and almost fell out of bed. I quickly answered and sleepily said “Hello.”

“Hello, Love. Did I wake you?” It was Mason!

I cleared my throat and lied a little “No, not really. I was just relaxing. How are your classes going?”

I could hear him smiling, as he said “They’re very long and boring. How are you doing? Are the they taking good care of you?”

I was smiling, too, as I said reassuringly “The doctors and nurses are taking very good care of me. Apparently, someone told them to make sure I had my Mt. Dew with lunch and dinner.” What a sweetheart.

He laughed once and sighed “I really miss you.”

I said “I miss you, too.”

He sounded so sad and sincere, when he said “I’m glad I got to hear to your voice, but, unfortunately, I have to go. I’ll call again soon. I love you.”

I smiled and sweetly said “I love you, too.“

About five minutes after we hung up, Mary brought in a large vase of white roses and proudly said "I think our Dr. Andrews has finally found his match." As she picked up my dinner tray, she couldn't stop smiling and neither could I.

I was so surprised, I could barely talk, but I asked "These are from Mason?” She nodded happily, and I said “There beautiful." She set them on the night stand next to the phone and handed me the note that came with it. She smiled and left the room.

The note was on the little card, so I'm sure everyone read it. It was short, simple and sweet.

 My Sweet Michelle,

I hope when you get these, we will have just spoken. I can't wait to see you. I’ll call you again soon.

All my love,

Mason

I was utterly surprised. I wanted to call him, but I knew he would be in a class. I wasn't sure if he would have his phone turned off or not, so I figured I would wait to call him. While I watched the clock for two hours, I kept smelling the flowers and re-reading his note. I was just about to call him, but the phone rang. I answered “Hello.”

 "Hello, Love. Did you get anything that would make you smile today?" I could hear the smile in his voice.

I smiled from ear to ear and said "Yes. I did and thank you. They’re beautiful. I was waiting for you to be out of class before I called, but you beat me to it."

"I got out a few minutes early, so I called right away." It was so good to hear his voice.

"I was really surprised, when Mary brought them in." I paused for a minute and added "I think everyone may have read the note. When Mary brought the flowers in, she said, and I quote, 'I think our Dr. Andrews has finally found his match.'"

We both started laughing a little, and he said "I think she's right. I do believe I have found my match." I heard someone in the background say something like 'the next class is about to start.' He sighed deeply and said "Well, I have to go for now, but I'll call as soon as I can. I love you."

I smiled and sighed "I love you, too. I'll wait patiently to hear your voice again"

He said "As will I. Goodbye, Love."

I said "Goodbye."

After we hung up, I spent the rest of night smelling the flowers and re-reading my notes. I don’t remember falling asleep or dreaming.