Chapter Sixteen

We arrive by the riverfront, I tie my black tennis shoes as Superman lands down. I wear a white cropped hoodie and some gray shorts, I stand up once I'm done and put my hands in my pocket.

"So, let's see who can make it to the Daily Planet fastest from here. No flying," I announce and he smiles.

"Fine with me," he hums.

We both stand at the edge of the riverfront and I begin a countdown.

"3, 2, 1!" I yell and we both break off into sprints. Of course he goes speeding off, but that won't stop me.

I hurry through every alleyway and dodge civilians on the streets, I can see the blur of Superman far in front of me and I swallow down air as I push my legs.

As I speed by, I notice a familiar face in the crowd. Elliot, the man I met in the subway last night. I'm thankful for the hood draping over my face as I pass him.

My legs burn as I try to push myself further, I can't let myself fall. My lungs feel on fire and I try to push even farther, something snaps inside myself and I get that push.

I fly by Superman, the world turning into a great blur of color. The Daily Planet rises in the distance and I would cheer if I didn't need the air, I hear Superman's feet pound on the pavement as he pushes himself to match my pace.

His speed quicker than a flying bullet, but I burst through the air as fast as morning light. My surroundings around me a quick flash of life and I feel as if a part of me that was chained finally bursts free, the world so much sharper and clear.

As my feet touch the Daily Planet's front doorstep, I lean over and place my hands on my knees. Breathing in much needed air, I feel steel arms pick me up and my feet fly away from the ground.

The air above the city feels so much colder and I sigh as my body cools, I push back my hood and I look up at Superman.

"Is this the first time someone beat you in a race," I ask as I notice the sour expression on his face.

"Yes, using my super speed against you failed. I'm shocked to say the least," he rumbles and I pat his arm.

"We can always test out what other abilities I have. Don't crush your dreams of defeating me yet," I taunt and he shakes his head with a smile.

"Tomorrow, Azul. Tomorrow," he whispers as we head towards the apartment.

My patience runs out in the middle of the night, what else can I do? There's so many things I need to find out about myself, maybe this could be my high hand against the madman. I leave the TV on in the living room as I head out, the night sky shines down on me as I head through the alleyways.

The abandoned warehouse is dark inside, but my night vision makes it seem like day. I place my jacket down and crack my knuckles, the sound echoing around the room. I chuckle lowly as I feel power surging beneath my skin, it crackles through my veins like lightening and I bathe in the rawness of it.

The air is tense around me, as if the world's holding its breath and waiting. I focus all of the power into my hands and force it out of my fingertips, nothing. I huff and force it again, nothing. My brows push together with concentration and I push with all my might, sweat drops down my face and I resist the urge to wipe it away.

Finally I see something glow at my fingertips, a blue flame. I pull my hand closer and examine it, as I push more power into it the fire grows larger. I smile and point the flame towards a lone crate, I push the flame towards the crate and it fires out. But instead of just striking the crate, the flame crawls everywhere and devours everything in its wake.

I try to pull it back but it grows even stronger, smoke fills the whole room and I cough as it fills my lungs. Tears spring to my eyes and I cover my nose, the fire climbs the walls and soon are on the ceiling.

I drop to the floor and grab my jacket, quickly slipping it on I make a dash for the door and into the alleyway.

The fire rages brightly in the night, it's color like the day sky and I marvel at it. Heat comes off in huge waves from it and I hurry away, I hear screams on the street and I run as quick as light towards the apartment.

I hear the sound of Superman booming through the sky and see him head towards the fire, I huff as I stop and watch. He blows a cold mist of air onto it and my flames swallow it, growing larger. This isn't good.

I try to reach out to them, fear playing in my mind and somehow they listen. They surge for a quick moment, but I push them down. My head pounds once it's over and I see everyone looking confused at the sight, even Superman.

I take it as a chance to hurry home, before he can find me near the scene. I run and climb the apartment stairs, my legs sore and sweat coating me as I come inside. I slide my shoes off and grab my pajamas while heading to the bathroom, as I turn the shower on I can hear his feet climbing the stairs outside.

I peel off my clothes and cringe at the smell, sweat and ash. I put them in the sink and get into the shower, the cool water relaxing and it wipes all the grime from me. I hear Clark's feet pad inside and head towards the bathroom, his feet stopping in front of the door.

"Azul, are you in there?" He asks as I scrub my hair.

"Yeah, what's up." I call back from the shower.

"Where were you earlier?" He questions and I hurry to think of a response.

"I was on a midnight run," I inquire and I wash out my hair.

"Okay, sorry I wasn't here when you got back. There was a fire raging down town, in some abandoned warehouse and it was odd. The flames were as bright as the day sky, when I tried to put them out I couldn't. But after awhile they suddenly just crashed down," he explains and I hear him lean against the hallway wall.

"That is quite strange," I reply and I hear him hum in response.

"I will leave you to your shower," he rumbles as he heads into the living room.

I sigh silently as he does, shame paints my face and I scold myself for keeping secrets.