Chapter Eight

Kane's Palate rises up in the distance and I wring my hands nervously, I wear a long pleated red melissa dress with round toe pumps that has an ankle strap, I wear a small silver ring on my left hand and my lips are colored red. I walk towards the grand open doors and head to a man behind a small podium.

"Good evening miss, have you made a reservation or are you joining someone's table." He asks and opens a thick book filled with names.

"I'm here to dine with a Mr. Luthor," I answer and adjust my black clutch.

"Ah, here we go. Please follow me miss," the man inquires and walks toward a secluded part of the restaurant and I follow.

We arrive at a small round table covered in white cloth, a candle is lit in the middle. I see Luthor standing by the window and he turns around when the man is gone. His eyes rake down me and I cross my arms, soft piano music plays in the background and he holds my seat out for me.

"You look marvelous, glad to see you show up." He hums in my ear and sits down in his chair after I do.

"Thanks, so we both know why I came here. Why not get down to business," I ask and set my clutch on my chair.

"Always want to get down to the bottom, fine." He opens a briefcase that lays on the floor and pulls out a folder.

"You see Azul, I'm not the guy your looking for." He promises as he hands me the folder.

Inside is pictures of the madman, the mask blocks his face but comparing everything to Luthor they don't match up.

"If you are not the madman, then why go through all this trouble?" I ask and he smirks.

"The head your were sent and the bomb in your apartment that exploded was not me, it was him. I decided to play a game with you, I'm merely just bored and decided to have fun." He broke in and my mouth falls open.

"Well, you sound as bad as that madman."I whisper and he chuckles.

"Don't flatter me, now it's time to dine." He smiles as trays are brought in filled with delicious smelling food.

We both dig in, the food tastes amazing. But nothing could ever beat Clark's pancakes for breakfast.

Thinking of the man, how will Clark act if he knew what I've been hiding. I would never want that to happen.

After all the food is gone, we both walk out. Luthor's arm curled around my own, my eyes feel tired and I yawn.

The moon shines down and I feel goosebumps raise on my arms from the chill.

"Tired all ready," he asks as we walk towards the street.

"Why no, you simply bore me." I counter and he smirks.

I get ready to hail a cab but Luthor puts my arm down and suggests that he could drive me home.

"A dinner isn't going to make me trust you, Luthor." I clarified and he lets go of my arm.

"Well goodnight then, Azul. I hope we meet again," he mused and walked off.

I hail down a cab and head home, the folder in my hand feels like a weight and I open it up. The madman has black hair and a lean figure. I pinch the bridge of my nose as a headache strikes my head and I close it. My eyes slide shut, but I wake up when the cab driver says we're here.

When I open up the apartment door, I hope Clark's still asleep as I hang my clutch and sit down on the couch. I open up the folder and sort through the pictures and police reports, after 10 minutes I sigh and place it down. My head feels like a sledgehammer is being banged against it, I walk into the bathroom to get some aspirins.

When I open the mirror and pop a pill into my mouth, I rub my forehead and shut the mirror to see Clark standing behind me.

"You're finally home," he rumbles as he leans against the doorframe.

My heart quickens a pace and I stare back at him through the mirror.

"I was out eating with a friend," I reply with half the truth.

Clark's eyes observe my hair, my dress, and everything else on me. I turn around and he gets off the doorframe, his legs carrying him towards me. He brushes my hair behind my ear and his hand lingers there before pulling back.

"Hurry up and get ready for bed, it's cold in there without you." He rumbles then heads out.

Air fills my lungs as he leaves, a faint blush creeps up my neck.

I grab my pajamas and hurry my shower. My hair feels smooth as I run conditioner through it, the steam from the shower feels relaxing. I hurry and dry everything once I'm out of the shower, put on my pajamas and head to bed.

Clark lays in bed, his light on as he reads a book. As I walk in and get into bed he puts the book away and turns the light off. The bed creaks as he shifts to encircle me in his arms and I lay my head against his chest. I listen to his calm breathing and copy it.

"Hey Clark," I whisper.

"Yes Azul," he whispers back.

"Do you think you can take me up on that offer for teaching me to cook tomorrow morning?" I ask and his hand starts playing with my hair.

"Of course," he answers and I snuggle in for sleep.