Chapter Two

I march inside the building and spot our buyer, Lex Luthor, sitting on a desk peering out the window. His long orange hair fraying everywhere.

"Mr. Luthor," I greet and he turned around to me.

"Ah, yes. Finally down to business now shall we," he confirmed.

"Thank you, now I've brought you the owners documents for the building. Your check arrived at our business last Sunday and we have cleared it, everything you need is in that package and if anything with the building is wrong call us." I explained and handed everything over.

He grabs the package, peels it open and checks quickly before nodding.

"Have a good day Mr. Luthor," I finished and turned to head outside.

"Now wait just one second, Miss Cross. I wanted to ask you a question, just one." He hummed and put his hands behind his back, walking slowly around me.

The hairs on my neck raise, but I nod for him to continue.

"2 years ago, a Mr. Cross was found dismembered and decapitated. Mrs. Cross vanished along with the villain," he pauses and takes a step closer.

"Don't you ever wonder where he went off to?" He asks and walks behind me.

"Do you ever think he still has that bloody knife, the same mask that your husband saw before dying?" He whispers in my ear. My throat tightens and every noise in the background becomes a whisper against his voice.

"Pretty bird, I let you out of your cage and let you fly into the woods. It's time for you to come home Azul," he mused. My instincts told me to run and I did, he laughed the same as he did before.

"You'll never be fast enough," he yells and I run out of the building, I ran till I reached the subway and collapsed in the bathroom crying.

That man, he destroyed my husband. He made me suffer and yet I could never get revenge, he's one of the richest men in Metropolis. I could never win a case against a rich man, it's useless.

I hug myself and wish I was back home in Kansas, I wish I never transferred here. I miss the warmth of the afternoon sun and the great fields of corn. I wipe my tears away and clean myself up before heading out, I sit down on a bench as I wait for the train to show.

The old bench creaks as someone sits on it, I look over and see the same man from this morning.

"Hey, uh. Thanks for telling me the train stopped this morning, I would have probably sat there day dreaming if you didn't." I admitted and he smiles handsomely.

"It's no problem, I never introduced myself. My names Clark Kent, I work for the Daily Planet." That name does sound familiar, but I can't place it.

"My name is Azul, Azul Cross. I work for Reed's Business Complex," I respond and smile back.

"Nice to meet you Mrs. Cross," he replied and I look down.

"Just Azul, I'm no longer married." I whisper and grab my locket.

"I'm sorry, Azul. Where are you from," he asks and I silently thank him for changing the subject.

"Smallville, Kansas. You?" I ask and see his eyes light up.

"Same place, how come I've never seen you." He demanded and his eyebrows push together, making a crease between them.

"I was a very shy child and I was normally outcasted by my hair so with those two factors I was home-schooled." I point out as I twirl a piece of my white hair around.

"But," I continue." I did go to public high school."

"It is quite a strange color," he muttered and looked to the strand I was playing with.

"But I do remember you now, your parents owned the fields outside of town." He nods and his smile grows bigger. I hear the train stop and get up, Clark does the same and we board the train.

On the way to my stop we talk about Kansas, our interests, and it turns out we got a few things in common. When I walk off the train I turn around and hand Clark my phone number.

"We can hang out sometime, it's nice to know someone from Smallville is in this city." I put in and waved goodbye as I walked home.

I hold a neutral look on my face as I walk up the stairs to my home.

As soon as I get inside my apartment, I break down. My husband's dead face haunts my memory and I curl up on my bed, why did it have to come back. The anniversary of his death was the day I was supposed to die, the day I could see his smile again. See him whole and happy, join him along with my mom and dad. I've got no one left in this cold world.

I hear the sound of police sirens cry out and I hug my pillow.

After a while my phone rings and I wipe my eyes with my sleeve.

"Hello," I croak into the phone.

"Azul, are you alright?" I hear Clark's worried voice ring over and I sniff.

"No, I just..." I cried and a sob broke out.

"Tell me," he whispers and I do.

I tell him how I met my husband here, I tell him how one night our apartment got broken into and we both got kidnapped. I told him about what Lex Luthor did, but I didn't mention his name. I told him about last night, it leaves me feeling empty.

"Azul, if you ever need something. Call me, I will come." He exclaimed and I whispered a 'thanks' to him.

"I'm sorry for holding you so late. You're probably tired, plus you've got work tomorrow." I muttered and he argues back saying it's fine.

"How about we meet up for breakfast tomorrow?" He asks and I agree.

I tighten my blanket around myself and my eyelids start to drift closed.

"Goodnight Azul," he hums and I pass out before I can end the call.

My open window carries in a cold breeze and outside a pair of striking blue eyes watch.