Chapter Five

The police men close off my apartment, they ask the usual questions and inspect the head. I spot the chief policeman and walk up to him.

"It looks like you might want to stay somewhere else or plan on moving sometime soon, wouldn't want this crazy man gettin' you," he grumbles as he looks at the basket.

The only person who comes to mind is Clark, I hope he won't mind. The police leave soon and take the evidence with them, I pack together some clothes and utilities for a week. I pull out my phone and dial up Clark's number.

"Hello," his voice rumbles into the phone.

"Uh, hey Clark. Something happened at my apartment, and I need a place to stay at. You were the first person I thought of to ask, but it's alright if-," I babble on but get cut off.

"It's fine Azul, what happened?" He questions and I bite my lip.

"The man who murdered my husband, he told me he would come back for me one day. He wrapped my husband's decapitated head up and put it in a basket. It arrived at my door, it was more than likely a reminder of what he promised." I mutter and bring my bags into the elevator.

"He won't get you, don't worry. I have to head to work for an important meeting, but I'll leave my door unlocked for you." He explained and I walked out to the street to hail a cab.

"Alright, I'm on my way. Hope your meeting goes well Mr. Kent," I taunt and he chuckles on the other line.

"Bye Azul," he finishes and hangs up. A cab stops and I place my luggage in the trunk before getting inside.

I didn't get to look much at his apartment, but it's pretty cozy. I place my luggage near the couch and look at his photos, I spot one of his mother and father. I heard his father died in a tornado, I place the picture and look at another one.

It's Clark and a girl, the girl who he loved I assume. Her hair shines in the picture and her smile copies that of Clark's, Lois Lane. A big reporter for the Daily Planet, I also remember she and Superman were very close. Did something happen and she went for Clark? So much mystery surround them, I feel like I'm drowning in the middle of it.

I set it down and see dust layering everything, when does he ever clean his house? I find a small closet filled with cleaning supplies and set to work, I clean his living room, bathroom, and every other room in the house. I huff as I plop down on the couch and whip off some cleaning gloves I found, I hear a key jiggle in the front door and the door swings open.

"Woah, what did you do to the place?" Clark asks as he places his coat on the coat hanger and puts his briefcase down.

"I'm not gonna stay here and not do anything in return, so I cleaned up your place." I counter and get up.

"Thank you, if you're tired you can sleep in my bed." he mutters and heads into the kitchen.

"Are you sure?" I ask and he nods as he walks back into the room, a beer in his hand. He turns on the TV and the news flashes on.

"Currently the city's bank is being robbed by a group of mysterious men, the police have surrounded them but hostages are being held inside. Who will save the innocent civilians trapped inside?" The news lady reports in her dramatic voice.

"I'm sorry Azul, I just remembered I left something at work. I'm gonna have to leave, but I'll be back later. Make yourself at home," Clark apologizes and storms out. I shake my head and change the channel to a random movie.

After a while I must have passed out, I wake up sweating and I shake as I recover from the nightmare. I hugged myself until I stopped shaking, why must he always haunt me. Lex Luthor now runs my nightmares and he plays the same scene over and over again, where my husband slowly dies before my eyes. I wipe my eyes and grab my pajamas while heading towards the bathroom.

I slip on my gray tank top and checkered boy shorts, brush my teeth, and I untie my hair as I walk into Clark's bedroom. The musk of him lays everywhere and it smells safe, as I lay down in the bed and curl up I feel my chaotic nightmares disappear.

Instead I dream of striking blue eyes, of a man wearing a red cape. When I wake up strong arms are wound tightly around me, Clark's scent wafts up my nose and I almost purr at it. A hand strokes my hair and I lean towards it.

"Good morning," Clark rumbles and I yawn one back.

"What time is it?" I ask as I slowly sit up.

I open my eyes to see Clark's own eyes observing me, I raise an eyebrow and he just smiles.

"Sorry, you looked cute when you woke up." He stammers and I blush.

"Uh, thanks. How did you end up in here?" I question as I stand up and tie my hair back.

"You told me to get in the bed when I got back," he inquired and stood.

My blush hardened and I turn around, of course he was shirtless. Goddamn period, my hormones are raging enough and this man decided to show his beautifully sculpted-don't finish that sentence. Clark is your friend, no benefits either.

"Oh, do you always sleep shirtless?" I pointed out and I heard his chuckle from the other side of the room.

"Yes, is it distracting for you Azul?" He taunts and walks closer.

"N-no, I just-," I stutter and Clark gets even closer.

"Just what?" He rumbles in his deep se-don't finish that sentence Azul!

"I have to use the restroom!" I shout out and hurry to the bathroom as I hear Clark's laughter ring throughout the apartment.

I wash my face and use the restroom before heading into the kitchen where Clark stands with an apron on, the smell of pancakes fill the room and I hum as I walk up behind him.

"Didn't know you could cook," I inquire and he smiles faintly.

"My mom taught me how, I'd always love cooking for her." He hums and flips a pancake over. I pour myself a cup of milk and take a small sip of it.

"My mom died before I could even learn how to, my dad always made simple pre-cooked meals after." I recall and stare into my glass.

"I could teach you if you want?" He insisted and I smiled.

"I'd like that very much," I whisper and drink down the rest of my milk before placing it in the sink.

When Clark finishes cooking, we both set down and dig in. His pancakes melt in my mouth and I demand him to cook for me every day, he laughs and nods.

"I'm heading out to work, so please do anything you like while I'm gone. Try not to get in trouble though," Clark teases and kisses my cheek before leaving. My hand slides up to where his rough lips met my face and I blush, my heart thuds quickly in my chest and I hold onto the hope left inside as a lifeline.

Maybe I can actually continue on, maybe I can let someone in once again. I can start over, I shake my head and go towards the living room.