Chapter Twelve

Morning dawns and the sunlight burns my eyes, I hiss as I close the blinds and I start up a bubble bath. A knock sounds on my door and I open it to see the lady from the desk, Brenda.

"Breakfast for you miss," she inquires and holds a plate full of French toast. The smell of it makes my stomach growl and I grab it from her hands, after which she nods and walks off.

The food fills my empty belly and I rub it, it's been awhile since I had good food like this. I leave the plate on the small table in my room and head into the bathroom, the tub filled to the brim with bubbles.

I chuck off my clothes and slip in, sighing as warmth surrounds me. I scrub at the scars they left on my skin, from scalpels and needles.

I hiss as the water pours into a massive cut on my arm, my blood was always a mystery to me. The only person who ever knew why it was that color was my mom, but she's been dead since I was little. Along with my dad, my hands reaches for my locket and come up empty.

My breathing quickens and I tighten my fist on the edge of the tub, I left it at Clark's. I huff as I calm my breathing, I remember my mom gave it to me right before the day she died. I never got to see her body, there wasn't one left. Just ash, burned alive in a house fire.

I wash my whole body and put on a robe as I get out, brush my teeth and use the bathroom before getting dressed. I decide on a black tank-top, green shorts, and a camouflage jacket. I turn on the TV and the news, as always, pops up.

"Last night Superman was seen flying around for the first time in months, where has he been? Why has he been gone for such a long time? The people have many questions that are going unanswered." The news lady states and I raise an eyebrow at it. Clark hasn't been playing Superman?

I slide on some black boots and head out.

The rain overhead pours down on me and lightening strikes in the distance, I hold my umbrella over my head and grumble under my breath as a taxi splashes rainwater on my legs. I finally reach my destination and look up at my old apartment complex and sigh. I pull down my umbrella as I head inside and take the elevator up to my floor.

Everything I owned is now gone, it seems the owners of the building are trying to reconstruct it for another person. I leave a metal flower on the coffee table and walk out, my head low. The thunder roars as I step back out onto the street and I open my umbrella, my feet wandering towards Clark's apartment.

As I stand outside my hand trembles slightly, I'll be in and out before anything can happen. I walk in, putting my umbrella away I head towards the elevator and wait for the doors to open. I sniff the air and smell Clark's scent becoming heavier as the elevator comes closer, I pull my hood down my face and lean against the wall. Making sure none of my hair is sticking out, I stare down towards the floor as the elevator opens.

Out steps Clark, wearing his suit and holding his briefcase in hand. I cast my eyes to the side and see him quickly look my way, but he moves along with the crowd towards the street. I slip into the elevator and press the level button, I lean against the elevator wall and see Clark starring my way still.

I wave my fingers at him and he flinches, the elevator starts to climb up as he walked back in. My heart thunders in my chest, I look up at emergency hatch and push it open.

I set the elevator for a floor below Clark's before I pull myself out of it and kick the hatch shut once I'm standing on top, I hear Clark's feet quickly climbing the stairs.

I flick back my hood and take my gloves off, shoving them into my pocket I climb up the service ladder until I reach Clark's floor. The elevator stops below and I hear his feet shuffle in, a curse sound and his feet climb the stairs again.