Chapter Nine

I flip the pancake and smile as it lands in the pan. Clark reads a newspaper nearby, the pancake smells good but not as good as Clark's. His mother must know how to cook well, I start humming to myself as I cook.

"Today I'm off of work, do you wish to do anything?" He asks as he turns a page of the newspaper.

"How about we go on a date?" I ask and I feel his eyes turn towards me.

"A date, didn't know you wanted to get serious." He pointed out.

"Why not, I do quite like you." I whisper and I stack the last pancake.

I look towards Clark and see his ears are tinged a red.

I laugh silently at him and cross my arms as I lean against the counter.

"So will you, Clark Kent, go on a date with me?" I hum and he coughs.

"I am off of work," he mutters and I smile.

"I'll take that as a yes," I smirked.

As we dig into my pancakes, I start planning.

When the sun sets we head out, Clark doesn't know where we're going. I kept it a secret. I curl my hand around his arm as we walk down the street, I hear someone playing a guitar off in the distance.

"Close your eyes," I request and he slides them shut. I tie a blindfold over his eyes just for extra measures. I guide him by my hand and I see our destination come into view.

I sigh as I see it and turn to him.

"Alright, you can open your eyes now," I whisper while removing the blindfold.

When he opens his eyes, his mouth turns up into a smile. I look at the cliff that shows the beautiful night sky, far away from the city lights.

"I didn't know if you'd like it, but we can go somewhere else if-." I stammer but a warm hand is put around my waist.

"It's perfect," he smiled and a blush burns my face.

We go sit on the bench that rests at the top, and stare into the night sky. The stars start to revolve around one star, the North Star, as I stare longer.

"So why did you decide to bring me out to this cliff?" Asks Clark and I lean my head against his shoulder.

"The stars not enough for you," I question and he chuckles while wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"Of course not, but...," he drawls.

"I did have another reason to bring you out here." I confirm and he smirks.

"Well, since you're off this weekend I decided to let us enjoy a little visit to a certain Smallville, Kansas. I bought tickets during lunch for a plane Friday night," I explain and look up to Clark. A smile is shining on his face in the moonlight and he stands up, pulling me with him.

"I could fly us there you know," he murmurs and starts to slowly dance me around. I hear a guitar echo in the background and I smile as my white dress twirls.

"Next time Superman," I whisper as I pat his chest. His eyes gleam in the night and I gaze into them as the chorus inside me sings higher, I lean in closer and our breaths mingle. But clapping ends the moment, we both turn our heads to see a man wearing a mask of the devil. His hands covered in black gloves, his masks shines a red in the streetlight.

"Such a beautiful moment," he muses and pretends to wipe a tear away. The blood in my veins turn cold and I tighten my hand into a fist. I let go of Clark and turn towards the man.

"You, decide to finally show your face do you." I hiss out and walk down towards him, Clark's feet follow mine.

"Oh, pretty bird. Are you mad? Sorry I couldn't come faster, I had business to take care of." He hums sickly and fixes a bone white skull ring on his finger.

"Hide your fingerprints at another murder?" I ask and stop a few good feet away from him.

"Oh, you know me so well. It feels just like yesterday when the smell of your husband's blood stained the air, such fond memories." He drawls and I feel Clark's anger steam out. My hand tightens until my knuckles feel ready to burst, but a warm hand wraps around it and I loosen up.

"Anyways, I just wanted to deliver a message to you. Do you mind Mr. Kent?" He asks and Clark huffs.

"No I don't, please continue." Clark grounds out and crosses his arm.

"Very well, pretty bird. Remember my promise, I let you out of your cage and now it's time to return. No other pretty birds could fit your cage, so don't fret when the time comes." He growls at the end and he flicks his hand up, a black limo cruises up.

"I have a gift for you Mr. Kent," the madman laughs and throws a green gem that glows deadly at Clark's feet, Clark hisses out and he falls to his knees.

"Bye pretty bird," he muses and gets in the limo. It peels off and I grab the gem, it strains my muscles and my head pounds as I chuck it far away. Clark starts to breathe normally again and I help him up, he grunts with the motion.

"What was that green gem, are you alright?" I ask as I check him over.

He nods and my sudden headache fades out, my muscles relaxing.

"That was Kryptonite, something that tears at my existence and weakens me. I don't know how that man obtained it, the rock vanished from Earth." He explains and leans on my shoulder. I put my arm around him to support his weight and we slowly head to the street.

"I've seen it before," I whisper in the taxi we hailed.

"Who has it," he questions and stares me down.

"Lex Luthor, the man who bought out the skyscraper near your work and called it 'Lex Corp'." I answer and twiddle my thumbs.

"How did you figure this out," he asks in return and I rub my head.

"It's a long story," I grumble and he puts a hand on my shoulder. His eyes pleading and so I tell him everything.

When the taxi stops in front of Clark's apartment complex, he stands far away from me in the elevator. When we get inside he tells me he needs to head somewhere, probably far away from here as he leaves with a clipped coldness.

The apartment feels empty and I hate myself for keeping so many secrets, I stare out of the bedroom window in my pajamas. The stars gone now, a heavy rain starts to pound down and I close the window as lightening strikes in the distance. I fall asleep on a cold bed and as midnight strikes, the front door creaks open and a set of boots tap against the wooden floor.

Thunder booms throughout the city, I keep my eyes closed as I feel a warm breath caress my face and a sharp needle stab my neck.

"Welcome home, pretty bird." The madman whispers and all I can hear is his sick laugh in my ear as everything fades to black.