sidekick // joshler

a/n // i only think about joshler and frerard nothing else matters to me anymore

super short joshler fluff bc i hate myself

                         --

"Hey, see you tomorrow, dude!"

Tyler's face is split in a lazy half grin as he watches his best friend, Josh, adjust his hand across his bag-strap, tightening and loosening it in an anxious habit that Tyler's soon become accustomed to seeing. His mom and Josh's mom are conversing in the driveway, with Mrs. Dun's dark hair shimmering in the porch light, Mrs. Joseph's much smaller form masked by her shadow.

"Stop fiddling with your bag, Josh." Tyler stops halfway through his thoughts to scold him, hands instinctively catching Josh's, knotting their fingers and bringing them into a hold; it's worth it for the roughness of Josh's palms against his, the warmth of his skin and the light pink blush that engulfs his freckle-splattered face. "You're gonna break it one day, and when you do, I'll be the one to say I told you so." Tyler's words are scolding but his tone and smile are light and teasing; Josh giggles, untangling their hands, ducking his head and smiling all squinty-eyed and toothily at his black Converse high tops, hands instead settling into pockets hung over with a black My Chemical Romance shirt that's two sizes too big, and it's so endearing that Tyler can't help but smile back.

Ty, he's not an option. Stop wanting what you can't have.

A niggling reminder stings at the back of his skull, and his smile falters. Josh is his anxious, too-friendly, adorable best friend/sidekick, and therefore certainly Not an Option. He's not prepared to lose the few friends he has already.

Josh looks at him with doe eyes through his lashes as he stares up, biting his lip gently before releasing it; Tyler's heartbeat flutters at an alarming rate, and it goes even faster when Josh leans forwards and places a gentle kiss on his cheekbone.

"Bye, Tyjo. See you on Monday." He's gone even redder at this stage, his ears and exposed shoulders flushed with color. Their moms are still talking, with no idea of what's going on right beside them.

Tyler's face hurts from smiling, and from the look on Josh's face it's a good thing; they're both pink, blushy messes, and it's wonderful.

"Seeya on Monday, sidekick."