Chapter 31: Burning Angels

The light was unbearably bright and blinded my eyes to the point that I could barely see. I felt light, like I had nothing inside of me. Just air and thoughts. I looked down at my body that appeared to be smaller, coated in a white glow. My skin was almost yellow and when I tried to speak a little boy's voice came out, but it's not me. I'm Pharaoh right. I think so, Pharaoh Mendez.

But that's slipping away, I'm Devon...Devon Dewell. Who is that?

My family they....they were. I can't remember.

This place...

It's bright and full of trees, flowers and a beautiful melody was playing that didn't seem to have a source.

I reached down the the grass to feel it but soon I had my hands again. And I suddenly remember that my name is Pharaoh. Pharaoh Mendez and I did something really bad. I did a lot of bad things because the grass now turned into fire that scorched my hands and made me yell out in agony.

Looking around, it was no longer bright. But full of fire and I heard screaming, loud screaming. It pierced my ears as I heard wretched children yell for forgiveness and then I was here...

I'm trying to get up and it feels like something is holding me down. I'm trying to wake up and I can't. I tried to open my eyes but they kept shut and refused to open. There was an extreme pressure on my chest and the more I tried to wake myself up was the more it started to hurt. There was also a sharp pain behind my head and my left ear and it would increase and then go down.

I was dreaming something though. While I was awake, it's like my mind was trying to complete this dream I was having. I don't know how to explain it. All I saw was a cliff with a lot of people to the bottom of it. They were telling me to jump and promised to catch me. I heard crying though. Loud crying. The people below me kept promising to catch me and I jumped.

The fall felt like forever and when I did reach the bottom, no one was there to catch me. I fell flat on the ground and...

I jumped up quickly and when I did, the back of my head started hurting so badly. I made a noise and touched the back of my head lightly. It felt like I was hit in the back of the head with a sledge hammer. The quietness of this unknown room soon became too unbearable for me.

I looked at the white bed I was in and the hospital room. It was so quiet, except for this soft breathing. I turned my head to the left and looked. She pulled a chair up to the bed and rested her arms and head on the edge of the bed next to me and slept. Her black hair was messy and supposed to be in a pony tail but it was all over the place. I saw her body move up and down, in time with her breathing and looked at the tear stains on her face.

What the hell is Heaven doing here? How did she even get here? I can barely remember anything, I just remember fighting Kyle but I don't know how it ended. All I know is that she told him some bullshit_ and now I'm in the hospital. This is really damaging my pride, because I hate having to be in hospitals, especially for emergencies.

The more I looked at Heaven is the more I actually realized how she looks like. I mean, I know how she looks like, but I never noticed the little details.

Her eyelashes are short and curly which I weirdly liked in girls. I wasn't into perfect straight eyelashes that were long. The little curly ones always seemed to add the smile to her eyes. And she has small ears and a birthmark under her chin. I never saw them before. Not like it matters but sometimes when you really look at people you see flaws or....anything else you never really seen before.

I shifted in the bed to look at the time on the clock next to me. 10 A.M. Damn_ how long have I been here? I looked at Heaven and stared at her for a while. I couldn't tell if I was mad at her. But I just kept staring because I was kind of mad.

After a while she started shifting like she was about to wake up. I kept my gaze and soon she sat up and stretched. When her eyes met mine, she sat up straight and moved back on the chair.

"You're alive..." she said.

"Obviously." I said looking at her with no emotions.

Heaven looked at me for a while and then she got up from the chair. She started walking towards the door and I looked at the dust on her pants and her dingy shirt. She looked distressed. She started opening the door when a little bit of guilt smacked me on the back of the head.

"You can stay in here. I was just saying it's obvious that I'm alive." I told her. She closed the door back and walked back over to the chair.

"How did you get here?" I asked her, honestly not remembering.

Heaven buried her head in her hands and sobbed a little. So over dramatic.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get you into this. I didn't know he was going to do all of that and get so mad." she cried as her chest heaved. was she really crying? For me?

"What did you tell him?" I asked her.

She wiped her face, "I just told Kyle that we got into a little altercation and you put your arms around my neck and held me back." she said.

"So you told this niggah_ that I hit you?" I asked her.

"No, I just said you were holding me back from hitting you." she told me.

"Did you mention that you were the one who put your hands on me first?" I asked her.

She looked down, "No...but that shouldn't matter." she said slowly.

"Uhm, it shouldn't matter? You're the reason why I am in this situation." I said talking about the hospital room. "What even happened?"

"Well....Kyle, he smashed a bottle across the back of your head..." she said to me slowly as she looked down "And then he kicked you a couple of times. In the head." she shuddered. "And I'm so sorry. I really didn't tell him to retaliate. I just wanted to get it off my chest."

"So I have to go through all of this because of a little situation that you took out of hand?" I asked her.

She looked at me, "You were the one who was making rude comments. You were always saying something rude." she told me.

"But you have your head so far up your ass_ and you act like nothing matters." I said to her.

"Then why bother with me?" she asked. "I come to school everyday and I am nothing but nice to everyone." she said. I hate when she says that, 'Nothing but nice'. I sighed. "You have problems with people. And whatever is going on with you, you take it out on people who don't deserve it." she said to me.

"Whatever, what you say about me doesn't matter because you don't know shit_ about me. Just like you didn't know shit_ about Kyle and told him only half of the truth." I said to her.

She shook her head, "I was the one who stayed here all night with you." she said to me. 'And no matter how much I hate you, I didn't leave and I waited for you to wake up. I didn't neglect you." she said standing up. She stretched her arms out, "Where are all of your friends?" she asked me about to leave.

"Alright, 'friend'." I said sarcastically. "Come and fluff my pillow." I said to her.

She looked at me and walked over and snatched the pillow from my head. The back of my head hit the bed. I yelled out, "What the hell is your problem?" I asked her.

"Shut up." she said pulling my head up and putting the pillow back under my head. She looked at me as she did and I honestly had to laugh at her mad face. "Nothing is funny." she said but she did crack a smile.

"When you die from this head injury, go straight to hell." she said leaving.

"And I'll drag your ugly ass_ right with me." I said after her.

"So you can't be without me in the after life right?" she asked sarcastically.

"Not at all. Don't play yourself." I said. She slammed the room door which gave me an instant headache. This girl is crazy out of her mind, thinking she can talk to me any type of way.

I suddenly remembered my dream or did I really get there because my hand is still burning and when I looked at it, it was red. If I would have died...I would have burned for eternity in hell.

My family came to visit me and Cleo thought I was having a baby. I found that funny but didn't explain to her what really happened. My dad was pissed that I was even at the car dump racing cars and that there was beer and weed involved. My mom was just an emotional mess and Isis was laughing at my hospital dress thing.

The doctor told me that I was going to miss three school days. That means Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday, because they have to run some scans on my brain. I have to stay away from activities that can cause further injuries. Nothing too serious happened to me and that's good. But I can't take gym for a month.

On Tuesday evening, Heaven came by the hospital but with Tiffany and Renee which was awkward. Renee and Tiffany spent time arguing about who gets to fluff my pillow and do things for me. I enjoyed for a while but afterwards I got tired. Heaven just kept a chair by a window and looked out. I wonder what she was thinking, but then again it probably wasn't important.

"Can you guys go downstairs and get me McDonalds or something?" I asked Renee and Tiffany.

"Pharaoh, you're not supposed to be eating that." Renee said.

"I'll get it." Tiffany stood up. She looked at Renee before she left the room and Renee followed behind her.

"Don't get anything too salty! she yelled after her.

"It's McDonalds! It's all salty!" tiffany yelled back as they left the room.

I turned my head slightly and looked at Heaven who was still peering out of the window. She had her left elbow on the window sill as her hand propped up her head. She had her right leg crossed over the other and looked focused.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked her.

Heaven jumped and looked at me, "A lot." she said.

'What's so interesting outside?" I asked her.

"People are walking past the hospital and driving past and someone is arguing on the phone. Like people aren't in here dying and suffering.' she said.

"Well people have to go about their business." I replied.

She shrugged, "I wouldn't be able to. I hate when people suffer." she said. "No one deserves it." she told me.

That's the only day this week that I saw her. I checked out of the hospital on Wednesday and my parents let me stay home for the rest of the week. But I know I have to catch up with all of the that work later on. I just wonder how it's going to feel going back to school on Monday and if anything changes.

_Wow, last chapter really evoke some emotions out of you guys. So as you can see, Pharaoh did not die and no they are not going to be together right after this because he still doesn't trust her, especially her words because she got him into this. So yeah, that whole last chapter was just to make you guys feel a little emotional because nothing that emotional happened yet but something will. Every character has a breaking point._

_So what did you think about the begining? Did it kind of scare you into thinking that Pharaoh was dead? And when he looked at his hand it was red and throbbing, maybe he got a glimpse of what his afterlife holds. Do you think he will change?_

_Oh yeah and I meant that part two would be coming later in the story itself. They both connect in a way. I started school today! I'm a Junior! YAY...kind of._

_Thank you for all of the comments. I saw comments from people who usually don't comment which means that this chapter really made some people want to say something. So thanks to both Wattpad and Missliterati readers! Too awesome!_

_ILY! ILY!_