Chapter 16

"We met at school and fell in love. Her parents were against me because I was an orphan. But against everything, she still married me. Her parents stopped talking to her because she married me but she didn't mind it so much. Then, when we got married we were poor. I worked as a bartender for some time and you mother tried to work on her interior designing. Luckily, she got a boost and we were well off. Once we got into a huge fight and we decided to split up. Then I joined a gang and she kept you with her", Dominic said as we sat on dining table in the kitchen where I had breakfast with Emma. We spoke while a maid was making choco chip cookies.

"But you joined a gang and then you and mom decided to split, right?", I asked as I recalled what mom had told me at the hospital.

"No. Who told you that?", he asked with raised eyebrows.

"Mom told me", I replied.

"That didn't happen", he clarified.

"Then what happened? And why did you and mom fight?", I asked as I leaned on the table.

"We fought because your mom didn't want me to work as a bartender and I had no other job", he said.

"And when did you become a gangster?", I asked

"After we decided to split up", he said with a shrug.

"So you joined a gang?", I asked again.

"No...the gang joined me", he replied with a smirk.

"What?", I asked in confusion.

"I did not create this gang. Somebody else did. His name was Andrew. He used to run casino's in LA. He had some people under him who used to run brothels in Dubai, California, Mexico and Germany and they were even engaged in human trafficking", he said.

"So you helped him in all that?", I asked.

"No, princess....I killed him", he replied.

"You...killed him?", I asked as I swallowed hard.

"Yes", he replied nonchalantly.

"But why?", I inquired.

"Because this one day when I was on my shift, I saw him and his people trying to force this girl to go with him. Later I came to know that he was going to sell that girl to someone else", he replied.

"How did you kill him alone?", I asked suspiciously.

"I don't know what had gotten in me at that time. He came to the bar to get a drink and kept his gun on the table and the next thing I knew was that the gun was in my hand and there was a hole in his forehead", he said.

"Then?", I asked.

"Then I came to know that Andrew had a boss too. Apparently, their gang was a part of the Mafia and the Mafia king, Anthony Antico, was not so happy with Andrew and his work so he declared me as the next gang leader instead of killing me", dad replied.

"You got lucky", I muttered.

"I did", he agreed.

"And what about Angelo and all?", I asked as the maid had finished preparing cookies. The smell was so good and I had to keep myself from drooling. I had to say, the chefs here are awesome. The maid placed the tray of cookies in front of us and bowed her head while leaving as Dominic dismissed her.

"What about them?", he asked as he took a bite of the cookie.

"Who are they to you?", I asked as I too took a bite of the cookie.

"They were small kids when I became the gang leader. Their parents too were involved in the gangs", he replied.

"Where are their parents now?", I asked.