Chapter 30- Rumors Are Stupid

Jace's Point of View

Two days after my and Emma’s fight, Monday, which also happens to be the first day of March, I wake up to the sound of Anna bursting into my room without a knock or anything. I hear her footsteps pad across the carpet but I remain motionless in my bed then sigh when I feel her standing over me at the very edge of me. She calls my name—  really loudly, I might add—  but I ignore her, hoping to give off the premonition that I’m still sleeping. Anna slaps my shoulder and starts shaking it which really annoys me but I refrain from yelling at her. I know that if I do, she’ll tell Heather, Heather will tell my dad and my dad will lecture me about it.

I guess she’s just trying to be a good step-sister and make sure that I’m not like, dead. I can understand why she’d think I was dead though, actually. I mean, ever since Emma and I had that stupid fight on Saturday morning, I’ve been up here in my room. I mean, yeah, I go downstairs and get food when I’m hungry and outside my room where the bathroom is every now and again but aside from that, I’ve been sheltering myself here in my room.

“Jace!” Anna exclaims, hitting my shoulder again.

“Anna, go away,” I murmur, my face in my pillow.

“Your dad told me to come and wake you up,” She informs me.

“Well, I’m woke so you can go now,” I reply, not moving from my spot.

“What’s wrong with you?” Anna asks, plopping down on the bed, nearly sitting on my leg.

“I have an annoying step-sister that doesn’t know what ‘go away’ means, that’s what wrong with me,” I snap unintentionally. I’m not mad at Anna because I mean, I obviously have no reason to be but I really do want her to go away so I can go back to sleep.

“You’re being rude,” Anna pipes, but I can tell she’s not actually offended.

“I’m sorry,” I sigh, throwing my covers from over my head and pulling my face out of my pillow.

“It’s okay,” She assures me with a shrug. “Anyway, Harry told me to wake you up so you can get ready for school.”

“Yeah, well, tell dad I’m not going to school today,” I reply with a heavy sigh.

“Wait, what? Why not? You never miss school,” Anna says, giving me a suspicious look.

“I just don’t feel like going today and I don’t feel like doing a Q&A session, so go, please.”

“Did something happen with you and Emma? Because, there’s like, rumors all over Twitter and all that kinda stuff,” She tells me. 

“What do you mean ‘rumors’?” I echo, giving her a confused look.

“I dunno, I mean, like, people are saying that you guys are having problems or something. How they came to that conclusion, I don’t know. It’s not true though, is it?” Anna wonders, standing up from my bed and twisting a lock of her hair around her finger.

“Rumors are stupid, Anna,” I mutter, not answering her question. “Turn the light off on your way out,” I instruct, laying back underneath the cover and stuffing my head back into my pillow. “And close the door too,” I add.

“So, it is true? Oh my gosh! That’s why Emma hasn’t been over! What happened?” I don’t answer her but instead grab one of the pillows from my bed and blindly toss it at her. I know I don’t hit her because I don’t intend to, but it gets the point across, I think. “Okay, okay, I’m going,” Anna promises before scampering out of my room, turning the light out and shutting the door.