Chapter 26- This Has Got To Stop Happening

Jace's Point of View

“Jace, this is the most important day of my life and you’re…what are you even doing?” My dad demands, barging into my room without so much as a knock or a hello or anything on the day of his and Heather’s wedding, Saturday.

“I’m sleeping,” I murmur, lifting my head from my pillow briefly and giving him a weird look. “What are you doing in my room?”

“I’m waking you up because it’s 11 o’clock in the morning and the wedding is in less than eight hours,” He exclaims.

I hear my father’s footsteps as he walks over to my bed and I sigh inaudibly, wanting him to just go away and do all of his wedding stuff so that I can get a few more hours of sleep before this ceremony. Suddenly, the cover is yanked off of me and then the curtains are parted, the blinds opened and the stupid bright sunlight is filing into my room, nearly blinding me as I peel my eyes open and glare at my dad, who is now standing at the foot of my bed with a scowl etched into his features.

“What the hell are you doing?” I murmur tiredly, sitting up in my bed lazily and grabbing my cover back from him and spreading it back over me as I get back in my comfortable sleeping position.

“Jace, get up and get ready. Your mother’s here and she’s making breakfast for you and Anna and Heather and I are leaving soon. We have a few more things to handle before the wedding, but you know it starts at 5:30. It’s your responsibility to get you and Anna to the lake by 4:45. You both need to be dressed and you need to have the rings. I need you to go and pick them up from the jeweler and bring them to the wedding,” He informs me in a quick breath.

“That’s a lot of stuff,” I complain, sitting up in my bed and rubbing my hand across my growling stomach.

“Yes, well, Steve’s wife had her baby last night, so he’s not going to be able to do any of the major stuff. I’m lucky he’s even getting time to come to the wedding,” My father explains to me.

“Lucky Steve,” I mutter under my breath, running my fingers through my hair. “Okay, yeah, I can do all that, I guess.”

“Don’t screw this up, Jace; this really is the most important day of my life and Heather is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. Do not be late and do not do anything to make this day not go perfectly,” He demands.

“Dad, I can go to a jewelry store and get the rings and bring me and Anna to the lake. Don’t talk to me like I’m a child,” I say.

“Okay then,” My dad sighs with a nod, realizing that he’s got no choice other than to just trust me. I mean, if he was more of a likable person, he’d probably have more friends like a normal human being and his son wouldn’t have to be his best man. “Then I’ll see you at Lake Austin at 4:30.” He sighs, turning on his heel to walk out of my room.

It’s just so weird because like I said, my dad is a business ye of man and he’s always—  and I do mean always—  dressed in suits and ties and even dress shoes. Except for that day he ditched me at the Chargers football game, that was one of the only times I’ve see him dressed in normal clothes. But it’s weird because right now he’s just wearing boxers and a white t-shirt and they look so foreign on him.

“Hey, Jace?” My father suddenly asks, turning around before he exits my room.

“Yeah, dad?” I reply with an exasperated sigh.

“Why are you so tired? Did you have a late night with that girlfriend of yours or what?” He asks suggestively.

“Her name is Emma,” I remind him, giving him a pointed look. “And no, we just were talking on the phone for a while,” I tell him. Which is true. Yesterday after school, Emma came over and I helped her study for Chemistry because we have another test next week. Granted we only studied for the first thirty minutes or so and the remainder of the time she was here, we talked and made out and watched movies and made out and ate and made out some more. What can I say? We like to make out. I mean, we like doing other things together like, normal stuff too, but that tops the list, I think.