Chapter 27- You Sure Are Impatient Tonight

Emma's Point of View

“You look so amazing!” Caroline squeals.

I giggle and blush softly. “Um, thanks.”

It’s Valentine’s Day and Jace, being the romantic guy he is, insisted on taking me out tonight. And because Claire was with Jonathan, Harper was with Mason, and Melody was with Luke, I had to get ready on my own this time. However, Caroline had helped me a long because Jace refused to tell me where we were going and I guess he told Claire a few days ago who told Caroline so that she could advise what I was wearing. It was a lot of effort just for one night, if you ask me.

Valentine’s Day isn’t something incredibly special, I don’t think. I’m probably only saying that, though, because I’ve never had a boyfriend before, so my February 14th’s have consisted of ice cream and movie marathons with any of my single friends, wallowing in our single-ness. That obviously didn’t happen this time because we all have a guy to hang out with. Granted, Claire and Jonathan are confusing and I don’t think Harper and Mason are official yet, but it still counts.

“Okay, so you need to take this with you,” Caroline instructs me, handing over a small duffle bag.

I frown in confusion but take the bag anyway. “What’s in it?”

She grins at me. “You’ll see. Oh, here, let me fix your hair.”

I spin around and she starts messing with my already-done hair. This is the first time that Caroline has helped me get ready for one of Jace’s dates where I have had to dress fancily, so she is pretty excited. I’m wearing this really gorgeous dress that’s pink and shiny with really small sequins and it only goes over one shoulder. There’s a thin golden belt around my upper waist and below the belt, the dress is flowey. It is a pretty short dress, I think, it only goes to about mid-thigh, but it is a really pretty dress. I’m 105% sure that Claire gave it to Caroline to force me to wear it tonight, not that I objected because it really is adorable. The part that I don’t like, however, are the incredibly high heels. They’re very precious as well, but I’m sure you know how much I truly despise heels and I wore heels just a few days ago at Mr. Parker’s wedding, which was torture enough. These, though, are golden and have a little bit of an open toe and at least a three-inch platform. And I’m also wearing a sparkly golden ring.

“Well, he should be here soon.” Caroline squeaks after she’s done fixing my hair, which is only in a simple low ponytail.

“Okay,” I breathe, throwing the mystery duffle bag over my shoulder. “And there’s no way that you’ll tell me where he’s taking me?”

She shakes her head and smiles. “Nope, can’t do that.”

I sigh and shift excitedly from foot to foot. “Where’s Mikey?” I ask, suddenly realizing that my brother isn’t here to give me the uncomfortable reminder that I’m to be home by one and to still be a virgin at that time.

“He went out to buy flowers because he forgot to get them earlier and Carter is already asleep.” She informs me. I hear a high-pitched bark and look over to see Charlie looking out the window that he can only look out by standing on the edge of the couch, and he’s wagging his tail and barking.

I go over to the window and see Jace’s car pulling up to the curb. “Okay, I’ll be home by one and whatnot.” I sigh.

Caroline shakes her head. “Oh no, stay out as late as you want.” She insists.

I raise my eyebrows at her. “Are you sure that Mikey is okay with that?”

She kind of shrugs. “I talked him into dealing with it, so that’s good enough.”