Chapter 5- Do You Need An Ambulance?

Emma's Point of View

“I should be so mad at you right now.” I fume at Claire as we’re driving home.

She rolls her eyes at me and laughs. “Oh, please. You know that I love you.”

I send her a glare from the driver seat. “Well, if I wasn’t dead before, I sure as hell am dead now.”

“It’s no biggie.” She shrugs, as if she didn’t just humiliate me and put me in even further danger.

“You know, they’re probably going to go after you next.”

“Emma,” Clare laughs. “You’re being incredibly ridiculous right now. They clearly stated that they aren’t out to get you.”

“Like they would admit it!” I wail. “They’re dangerous people. And you flirted with them!”

“Them?” She asks with raised eyebrows. “No, I did not flirt with them. I flirted with Jonathan, there’s a difference. But it was only a little bit of flirting, nothing big, he’s cute, what can I say?”

“You can be lucky that I’m a push over and that I’m still letting you pick out what I’m wearing tonight because I could totally back out of our deal. You deal breaker.”

“I didn’t break the deal- I simply found a loophole.” She defends as I park in front of my house and we both go inside. Michael is in the kitchen so I call to him that I’m home with Claire and he calls back a hello before we go upstairs.

“Where’s Caroline?” Claire wonders when I swing open my bedroom door and we throw our school stuff on the floor by the door.

“She works late on Fridays.” I inform her. “And she picks up Carter after work, so he isn’t here either.”

“Bummer,” She sighs, plopping down on my bed and running a hand through her curly red hair, which she always does. “I love seeing Carter.”

“Carter is adorable, but it’s not like you don’t see him all of the time, Claire.” I point out, grabbing my brush and I begin to brush through my long chocolaty hair.

“That’s true.” Claire agrees, turning my TV on and switching the channel to MTV, which is playing a rerun of Teen Mom. I’m not a fan of the show, but Claire is like, oddly addicted. “Anyway, when do you need to leave tonight?”

I shrug and look at the time. “Around six, I guess.”

“Well, then we better get started because it’s going to take two hours to get ready, if not more.” Claire demands, standing up from my bed and walking over to me where I was standing at my dresser and still brushing my hair. “Go and shower now.”

“Okay,” I laugh. “And then after that, maybe I can find friends who aren’t crazy.”

“Ha. Ha.” She sarcastically laughs, continuing to push me out the door towards the bathroom. “Go, now. I’ll have your outfit by the time you get out.”

I appease her because I know how much fashion means to this wild lady. I take a quick shower, making sure to keep it as quick as possible so we didn’t run out of time for getting ready.

Once I get into my room with a towel wrapped around me and another one wrapped around my hair to get it to dry quickly, Claire is good by her word and has the outfit laid out on my bed. The shirt is tight and sleeveless and the shorts are short, but I don’t complain because Claire has a way of turning tight and short into looking girly and classy and not slutty, which is unexplainable to me, so I don’t question it. I don’t want to wear crazy short shorts or a tight shirt, but even if I do argue, I know that I’ll lose eventually.