Chapter 4- Abe Lincoln Got Stuck In His Tub Once

Chapter 4- Abe Lincoln Got Stuck in His Tub Once

Jace's Point of View

“Jonathon, for the last time, I’m not doing your history homework for you,” I sigh into my phone, balancing it in between my ear and shoulder. I carefully maneuver my car into a parking space in the Senior Lot, just barely missing the big 4x4 Silverado truck crookedly parked beside me. I can’t stand people who can’t drive/park yet continue to do it anyway.

“Dude, come on; I’d do it for you,” Jonathon replies, refusing to relent.

“Why would I even ask you to do my history homework?” I shoot back.

“Because, well, I dunno. But if you needed help, I’d do it for you!” He exclaims.

“Well, that’s a really stupid defense,” I tell him, putting my car in park.

“Come on Jace, please?” Jonathon beseeches desperately.

“It’s academic dishonesty, Jonathon and if I get busted for it, it’ll go on my record. Do you know what’ll happen to me then? Colleges are gonna see that record and they can use that to reject my admission or like, rescind my acceptance.”

“You’re such a nerd.” He groans. “Besides, we’ve had this conversation! Have your dad write a check- you don’t need grades.”

“I’m not gonna let my father use his money to get me into college. I’m doing this on my own,” I firmly reply, turning my car off and unbuckling my seatbelt.

“This is a lot coming from a guy who has nearly the entire female population of our school terrified of him,” Jonathon scoffs.

“Hey, it’s not my fault that they’re scared of me; I can’t control their thoughts,” I defend.

“Yeah, I guess that’s true.” He concedes. “Wait, what if I pay you fifty bucks?” Jonathon offers.

“Fifty bucks for what?” I ask, confused by the sudden topic change.

“To do my homework.” He sighs.

“Even if was gonna do it, I’d only charge you like, twenty bucks, but I’m not gonna do it.”

“You are such a bad friend. Honestly the worst friend I’ve ever had,” He sighs dramatically.

“Yeah, well, deal with it. We have a test in history today, so you better study or something because I’m not letting you copy off of me this time,” I warn Jonathon.

“Yeah, yeah, okay.” He murmurs as I end the call, pushing my iPhone down into my pocket.

 I reach back into the backseat of my car, grabbing my backpack. I remove my keys from the ignition, about to get out of my car even though class doesn’t start for another ten minutes. I catch sight of Emma though and stop. She’s just gotten out of her car, which is parked directly across from mine. She obviously doesn’t know I’m parked right across from her because I’m sure that if she did, she’d have parked somewhere else.

Emma’s walking alone, which is kinda weird. Not that I stalk her or anything, but we live in a tiny town and therefore go to tiny school- I see her around a lot. Whenever I see her in the hallways or the cafeteria or something like that, she’s always with someone. Usually it’s that redhead that Chace and Jonathon think is just so hot. Claire or whatever it is. Like I’ve said, I’m not too great with names.

I mean, I’m not saying the girl is ugly or anything, Claire I mean, because she’s not. She’s really just not my type. From what I can tell, she’s kinda out there and…I dunno, loud I guess. I like quiet girls more, I think. Then again, what my type is doesn’t really matter when you take into account that I’m a ‘cat murderer’ amongst other things. I’ll be out of high school in a mere five months and I’m about a hundred percent positive sure that it’ll end with me never having had a girlfriend. That kinda sucks, but whatever.