Chapter 23- I Think You Killed Her

Emma's Point of View

“Emma!” I groan and don’t open my eyes. “Em, you gotta wake up.”

I tiredly shake my head. “No.”

“Yes.” Michael sighs, taking my shoulder in his overly sized hand and shaking back and forth.

“No.” I repeat stubbornly. It was only Sunday so he had no reason to be waking me up at such an hour. Granted, I have no idea what time it is, he still shouldn’t be waking me up on a weekend.

“Emma, it’s important.” He grumbles softly.

I can hear the urgency in his voice so I finally open my eyes and roll over to look at him. “What?”

“Get up and I’ll tell you, and hurry up. Like, Speedy Gonzales fast.” He pipes, standing up from the edge of the bed where he was sitting.

“Who’s Speedy Gonzales?” I wonder, sitting up in my bed. “And is everyone okay?”

He nodded. “The first part of that is not important and as for the second part, yeah, but you gotta get out of the house.”

“Why?” I yawn.

“Charley is on her way over here and I don’t want you to be here when she gets here.” He explains, taking my hand and pulling me out of my warm and cozy bed without my permission.

“Why is Charley coming over?” I ask as Michael grabs my shoulders from behind me and pushes me towards the hallway and then into the bathroom as if I can’t walk on my own.

“Dad has a hearing tomorrow and if she doesn’t have the bail money by then, he won’t get parole so she’s kinda pissed right now that I won’t give her the money, and she’s literally going to be here in like, five minutes.” He shuts the door between him and me so that I am standing in the bathroom. “Be out of there within the next two minutes and find someplace to stay.”

“I’ve seen Charley mad before, you know.” I point out through the door but oblige him by getting out my toothbrush and beginning to brush my teeth.

“Yeah, but she’s like, out for blood right now, so I don’t want you to be here. Caroline and Carter are out for breakfast and then they’re going to Caroline’s parents’ house for the day.”

“Why couldn’t I go with them? I like her parents.” I ask with a mouthful of toothpaste suds.

“They left early this morning and I figured I’d give you some extra time to sleep since you came home late last night.” He calls through the door and I think he’s teasing me because, as of late, that’s really all he’s doing.

“One isn’t that late, Mikey.” I defend with a small smile as I recall the wonderful events of last night with Jace. I finish brushing my teeth and then quickly run my hairbrush through my hair before exiting the bathroom.

He nods. “It’s late enough. Anyway, can you go stay with Claire for the day or something?”

I shake my head and move back into my room. “No, she’s with Jonathan.” I inform him, remembering her leaving my house at like, three in the morning last night to go have a sleepover at Jonathan’s house. “But I can call Jace, I guess.”

“Okay, well grab your stuff, you gotta go now.” Mikey insists, following me back into my room.

“You gotta get out so I can get dressed.” I tell him.

“Nope, no time. She’s going to be here any second and you can’t be here when she gets here.”

“I look like crap!” I whine, going through my closet and pulling out a hot pink North Face hoodie. I’m wearing really, really short gray Hollister sweat shorts and a white camisole so grabbing a hoodie would cover up at least half of my body.