Chapter 17- That's Very Pessimistic

Emma's Point of View

“Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey!” Carter sings into my ear while jumping almost painfully on my shoulder. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I wake up on Thursday morning, the morning after the New Year party.

“Carter,” I whine tiredly, trying to swat him away with my hand lazily and with my eyes still closed. “stop.”

“Wakey!” He demanded again, smacking my stomach randomly. I think the strange gene runs in our family or something, because that boy is weird, but in the most adorable way possible.

“No.” I groaned dryly, still incredibly exhausted from everything that happened last night on the beach.

“Stupid!” Carter declares with a huff of air.

“Emma, it’s one in the afternoon.” I hear Michael announce from the doorway. “Why are you even still sleeping?”

“I didn’t get home until late.” I explain to him groggily before I finally sit up in my bed to look at him. I obviously am not going to be able to go back to sleep, so I wipe the gross sleep stuff from my eyes and let my pupils adjust to the light that is filling the room.

“Yeah, I heard you come in last night.” He nods. “How was the party?”

I grin without meaning to and then blush furiously. “It was, uh, f-fun.” I mutter softly.

“What’d you do that has you all red-faced?” He wonders with raised eyebrows as he leans against the doorframe of my room. Carter is absently jumping on my bed behind me but I don’t tell him to stop because I figure that if Mikey wants him to stop then he’ll stop him.

I roll my eyes and stand up out of my bed. “Mikey, my face isn’t red, your vision is just bad or something I guess.”

He laughs and then nods. “Yes, it is actually and my vision is just fine, thanks. What happened?”

“Nothing happened.” I insist desperately. “I went swimming with the girls and it was really, extremely cold and then we had the countdown just like every year and then there were the fireworks which were cool.”

“You went swimming? You’re going to get sick, then.” He observes in almost a scolding manner. “And how were the fireworks?”

“I didn’t see the- Oh, they were, uh, they were cool.” I correct myself quickly before telling him that I didn’t watch the fireworks because my face was stuck to Jace’s the whole time. “What’s up with all of the questions you weirdo?” I wonder as I brush through my hair at my dresser.

He shrugs and picks Carter up in his arms from where he was jumping on my bed. “I don’t know. I mean, it could have been the fact that I was eavesdropping on your phone call with Claire last night when you were downstairs in the kitchen, though.”

“You what?” I shriek. When the fireworks ended last night, we were still kissing, Jace and me. That was a long kiss and I was surprised, and admittedly a bit disappointed, that he didn’t try to go any farther than just a close-mouthed kiss. The only thing that broke us up was when Chace came over and demanded that they had to go because the blonde he was dancing with turned out to be psychotic and was now out to get him or something because he wouldn’t kiss her on the countdown, so with a hasty goodbye, Jace was just gone. After that, I got a ride home from Mel and Luke because Claire and Jonathan didn’t want to leave, so Claire was just going to take Jonathan home later and I didn’t want to stay and wait for them to be finished. That’s why I had to recap Claire on the whole kissing thing while making bacon at two in the morning. “You’re lying.” I finally inform Michael pathetically.