Chapter 18- We've Had This Discussion Before

Chapter 18- We've Had This Conversation Before

Jace's Point of View

“So, Jace, your one and only job is to get the rings, keep them safe and stand with your father during the ceremony. That. Is. It. Do you understand?”

“Got it, I can do that, I’m sure,” I confirm with a sigh, looking down at the display on my phone.

I’m sitting in the living room at my house with Anna, Heather, my dad and their very stupid, very uptight wedding planner, Lacey, who’s been here at the house since eleven o’clock this morning. That’s when my dad forced me up and out of my bed so that we could all come down here and talk with her about the details of the wedding. I don’t understand what all the hubbub is about— I mean, they just got engaged not too long ago. You’d think that they’d actually want to stay engaged for more than a second and a half before they get married. I guess not though, because my dad says that Heather and Lacey are trying to get it in before Valentine’s Day. Mind you, it’s already January.

Anyway though, my dad told me that I was going to be his co-best man, with his best (and only, really) friend from his work, Steve. I didn’t exactly have a choice in the matter, which is good, I guess because I probably would have just said no, then probably felt bad and went back and said yes. I guess that he probably figured that and didn’t want to go through all of the redundant motions. He’s an only child though, like me and doesn’t have many friends, like I said, so it does make sense for him to be a co-best man, I suppose. Though he probably should have just made me a groomsmen, but whatever. 

Today’s Friday, aka, the only day of work that I actually look forward to. I mean, the other days aren’t really too busy unless it’s around lunch time— which is really stupid since the only thing we serve is coffee, hot chocolate and stuff of that nature and then we have pies and cakes and sometimes these weird little croissants that have cream cheese in them and I have no clue what they’re called, but they’re really good. Sadly though, it’s a breakfast pastry, so I never get to eat them unless I have a morning shift, which is hardly ever. Aside from the food though, I get to see and talk to Emma, and I’m admittedly pretty happy about that. I mean, I like her a lot, so I should be happy to see her, right? Yeah.

“Jace? Is there somewhere you need to be?” Heather asks in scolding tone as she sees me staring down at my phone, disengaged from the talk.

“Um, yeah, actually, I’m supposed to be at work pretty soon,” I explain, standing up and pushing my phone down in my pocket.

“Are you sure that you can’t miss just one day? This is really important stuff, son,” My dad interjects from the armchair he’s sitting in.

“Yeah, Melinda gets pretty weird about us calling in, so I should probably go,” I lie evasively— Melinda doesn’t care when we call in, but there’s no way I’m staying at this house if I don’t have to, just to listen to Lacey bark commands at us and tell me stuff that I don’t really care about. In my opinion, my dad and Heather should have just hopped on a plane and flew to Vegas to elope. Short, simple, fast and easy and I wouldn’t have had to been involved whatsoever.

“Well, okay then. See you later tonight,” My dad replies, obviously not happy about my bailing. Hey, it’s not my fault that I have to work, plus it’s not like he’s ever been there for me for anything in my life, really. You know, aside from my conceiving and birth. When I was a kid my mom forced me on to this stupid little league baseball team and he came to about two of the games out of about twenty-five.

Not that I still carry that grudge around with me or anything, I’m just saying, he can’t get mad at me for bailing when that’s all he’s ever done. And I know that sounds mean and awful, but it’s true. Nevertheless, I do love my dad, I mean, how can I not? He does let me live with him and he does take care of me as far as bills, shelter and food go.