Chapter 9- You Seriously Need To Be Slapped

Chapter 9- You Seriously Need to Be Slapped 

Emma's Point of View

“Winter break!” Harper squeals Monday morning.

I sigh softly as we walk down the hallway towards our lockers. “No, not quite, Har. We still have today.”

“Yeah, that’s total crap.” Claire whines. “Why do we have to go to school on a Monday and then have the rest of the week off? We should have just had today off too.”

I nod in agreement. “Well, you can take that up with the school board, I’m sure they’ll take your complaints into consideration.”

“Maybe I will.” She huffs.  “What are we even going to do for winter break?” Harper asks, opening up her locker as I do the same.

I shrug and pull out my chem and calculus books. “I dunno, but I’m going to be doing a lot of sleeping.”

“I second that.” Claire chirps. “And we should go to the movies or something.”

The warning bell rings, which surprises me because we usually have a few minutes to talk in the hallway before the bell rings. However, both me and Harper say our goodbyes to Claire and then make our way into the chemistry room.

I subconsciously realize that Jace isn’t here yet, but then shake the thought out of my mind because I remember that I don’t care if he’s here or not, because it’s not like we’re friends or anything.

Mrs. Worthington is sitting at her desk, but the way that she’s slumped on her laptop, I don’t think that we’re going to be doing anything today, probably because it’s the last day of school before a two week break, so it would be very difficult to get the class to focus on anything.

There’s only a minute left until the bell is supposed to ring when Jace comes into the room with his shaggy brown hair and tousled leather jacket. He looks especially scary today, I notice, so I make it a point to keep my eyes down on my desk and not to look up at him.

“So, Claire just texted me,” Harper speaks up. “she wants to go see that Now You See Me movie.”

“Really?” I ask with a confused frown. “It doesn’t seem like her kind of movie.”

“She said that there’s this guy in it that she likes… um, Dave Franco?”

“Franco!” I squeal. “He’s in that? Oh man, we have to go see it now.”

“Yeah, who’s that?” Harper asks.

My jaw drops when she asks that question. “You… you… You seriously need to be slapped. How can you not know who Franco is?!”

She shrugs with a laugh. “I just don’t, I guess.”

“Charlie St. Cloud, 21 Jump Street, anything ring a bell?” I wonder incredulously.

The bell rings before she can answer. “So Now You See Me it is then.” She laughs quietly just before Mrs. Worthington announces today as a free day, which was expected.

“How are we even friends?” I mumble dramatically. “Like, you disgust me right now.”

This makes Harper laugh. “Emma, shut up, you know you still love me. Anyway, we could all get dates, since Mel already has one, that would be fun.”

I scoffed. “Yeah right, like I could get a date.”

“No, really, it could be a lot of fun, going to the movies with dates and everything, that'll be fun.” She suggests.