Chapter 16- Should We Hold Hands Or Something?

Jace's Point of View **Jace's POV of Chapter 15**

“Wait, so, you actually asked her out?” Chace asks incredulously on the afternoon of New Year’s Eve.

“Yeah, I actually asked her out— is that so hard to believe?” I answer, crossing my room to my closet.

“Uh, considering the fact that you haven’t been on a date since freshman year, yes it is.” He retorts.

“I just went on a date the other day with Emma,” I remind him, pulling my closet open and going into it.

“Yeah, but you didn’t even ask her on that.” He replies.

“That’s true, but that wasn’t a real date,” I counter.

“So, that would mean that this is a real date?”

“You’re awfully interested in this, aren’t you?” I call over my shoulder.

“Yes, because you’re the only one of us who hasn’t had a real girlfriend.”

“Because I’ve never met a girl that I like enough to ask her to be my girlfriend.”

“Ah, and you think that Emma’s gonna be the one you like enough to ask her?”

“Please get out,” I sigh, tired of this conversation.

“You’re grumpy when you’re confused.” Chace notes, standing up.

“I’m not grumpy,” I deny, shaking my head and taking out a pair of jeans and a plain grey t-shirt from my closet.

“Sure, sure, that’s what you say. I’m going downstairs and I’m going to eat your food,” He informs me before walking out.

I’ll admit that I’m kinda nervous about this whole date thing with Emma. I mean, I know that I shouldn’t be, because I obviously like her and she obviously doesn’t hate me and she isn’t scared of me anymore because she said yes. So, that has to count for something, right? She wouldn’t have said yes if she didn’t want to come with me. Then again, maybe she would have, just so that she wouldn’t offend me, because she worries about doing that a lot, I think. I don’t think that’s it though. At least, that’s what I’m going to keep telling myself. That Emma’s not meeting up there with me just because she feels like she has to, but because she actually wants to.

I quickly get dressed and then make my way to my bathroom before furiously brushing my teeth and rinsing with mouthwash. I run my fingers through my hair a few times, pushing it back so that it’s not all over my head or anything like that. When I leave the bathroom, I go back to my room and grab my phone and pull on some shoes, grabbing my black hoodie. I don’t think I’ll need it, but I guess you never know, so I’m taking it anyway.

I leave my room , turning out the light as I do and descend the stairs, following the voices of Anna, Chace and Heather. I find them in the kitchen all conversating about something, but when I walk in, they promptly stop talking about whatever it was.

“Hey,” I say slowly, looking at them all suspiciously.

“Hey Jace,” Heather chirps. “Chace says you have a date tonight.”

“I have a semi-date tonight; it’s not the real thing,” I defend.

“Well, either way, that’s great, that you’re actually going out.”

“Yeah, I guess so,” I shrug, then look at Chace. “Okay, we should leave now because we have to go and get Jonathon.” I say.

“Oh, right,” Chace nods, stuffing his face with some tortilla chips before folding the bag back up and following me out of the room.