A Bittersweet Moment

Sienna's P.O.V.

It was pretty much a dream come true, having Ari here, in my house, all to my self- well, kind of. After that first day, my family took a huge liking to her, including my Mother. I knew my Dad and Eric would love her, but Mom was actually a complete surprise. Then again, who couldn't love her? She was amazing.

I was glad that my family bonded with her so quickly, although I wouldn't have cared if they hadn't, but sometimes I found it annoying. Dad was always talking to her about her dreams of becoming a film director, Eric would flirt when ever he got the chance, and Mom treated her as though she was the daughter that she never had. 

I was selfish when it came to her, and I didn't feel any shame in admitting that. She was MY best friend, and I wanted her to myself. But I couldn't complain, the week was going well so far. I took her around Beverly Hills, showing her all the hot spots. We also went shopping, and even visited Dad at his office. What I loved most is that no matter what we did, Ari was always having a good time. She never once brought up Jake, or looked like she was thinking about him. I could never be sure whether she was just keeping it on the inside, but this was definitely an improvement from last week.

There were times when I couldn't help but feel that she might start to be feeling the same way about me as I did about her. Like when we were wrestling on my bed- I mean, I think we almost kissed! But I knew that I had to be patient, I couldn't rush this, or I would screw everything up.

It was Wednesday, the middle of this fun filled week we were having. We had just gotten back from a relaxing day at the spa, and it was dinner time. 

"Sienna, there's someone here to see you," said Mom from the kitchen as we walked through the door.

"Who is it?" I asked, surprised. 

I hadn't exactly told any of my high school friends that I was coming home for break, since I didn't feel like introducing Ari to them. Yes, I was very selfish. 

"Take a look for yourself," said Mom with a smile.

Yeah, she was being nice to me, but it was only because having Ari around put her in a good mood. I took Ari by the hand and led her into the kitchen. Outside, in my backyard, stood a guy with his back to us. Even though I couldn't see his face, I knew exactly who it was. Dexter.

"Dexter!" I exclaimed as I ran into my backyard, practically tripping over myself.

He turned around, smiled, and opened his arms wide. I jumped into them, wrapping my legs around him, and giving him the biggest hug. I then set my feet on the ground, but continued to hold onto his arms, and look at his face. His black hair was still a mess, his hazel eyes were still heart warming, and his body was still banging. He hadn't changed a bit, and I was so happy.

Dexter was my last boyfriend, and the one who made me realize that I was gay. No, he didn't do anything wrong. He was every girl's dream boyfriend, and that's how I figured out I wasn't into guys- every time he kissed me, or touched me, no matter how much I wanted to feel the same way he felt, I didn't. Instead, I thought about girls. We had gone out during the summer before my junior year, and I broke it off right before school started. It was the worst thing I ever had to do, next to breaking the bad news to Ari a few weeks ago, but he deserved someone who loved him in a way I couldn't. When I told him why I was breaking up with him, he was understanding, but I could tell he was still devastated. We promised each other that we would still be good friends, and were able to keep that promise junior year, but senior year changed things. Dexter never really fully got over our break up, and it hurt him seeing me with other girls, so he stopped talking to me the summer before senior year, and it hurt my feelings. When he tried to apologize and get our friendship back on track, I was stubborn, and ignored him. It was one of the worst mistakes I had made, and something I always regretted. At the time, I didn't realize that he didn't talk to me because he needed time away from me to fully get past the break up. God, I was stupid. When I finally came to my senses the summer after Senior year, he had left for Europe, deciding to take a gap year. I never expected he would visit for Christmas.

"How have you been beautiful?" he asked, looking into my eyes, holding me.

I may have been gay, but Dexter was still able to make my blood pump faster.

"I've been amazing, but I've missed you so much," I said.

"I've missed you too. I never stopped thinking about you, and us, even when I was in Europe. Can we talk?" he asked as we let go of each other, our eyes never loosing connection.

"No, there's nothing to talk about. I made the biggest mistake in not talking to you last year, and I'm sorry for that. You don't owe me any apologies or explanations, I just want you back in my life Dex. I want our friendship back," I said, hugging him again.

He hugged me back, and we held on to each other tightly. Man, I missed this kid so much.

"Me too," he whispered into my ear.

We let go, and then I turned around, remembering Ari was still there. Aww, she was so cute, trying to pretend to be interested in the flowers. I laughed, and then took Dexter by the hand, and led him over to her.

"Ari, I'd like you to meet one of the most important men in my life, Dexter. Dexter, I'd like you to meet my best friend, and my first friend girl, Ari," I said, with a smile, introducing the two.

"Hey, it's nice to meet you," said Ari, extending her hand towards him and smiling.

"Likewise. You must be quite special if you got this one to be your friend. She sucks at having friendships with girls," said Dexter, shaking her hand, and smiling his brilliant smile.

As I watched the two of them shake hands and smile at each other, I felt a knot in my stomach. Dexter was a true knight in shining armor, and Ari had just gotten her heart broken. If anyone could take away her pain, and make her fall fast, it would be Dexter. And by the way he was looking at her, I had no doubt in my mind that he was admiring her beauty, eager to get to know her. And by the way she was smiling at him, I knew she was thinking the same thoughts that any other girl would be thinking if they saw him, and I couldn't blame her. 

It was pretty sad how rekindling an old friendship could be such a bittersweet moment. 

A/N:

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Were any of you expecting that little twist? Now now, don't freak out, I PROMISE there will be some full on siennaxari action in the next chapter. I might just update this later tonight, but I will most probably update tomorrow. Don't forget to vote and comment with your thoughts. Thanks for reading!