Chapter 2 || Collide

I was at Resorts World…

3 hours earlier…

                He waited. It’s been two hours, still he waited. Just like on Monday night, and last night, and all the other nights before, he waited. I just want to see her safe. That’s all there is to it. He said to himself.

                Riiing! Riiing!

He was diverted from his train of thoughts when his phone rang again. He didn’t answer. He just pressed the tab on the right that said Silence. The ringing stopped. He glanced at his phone again when it lit. 35 missed calls, 20 unread messages. But he didn’t bother. He knew the others are looking for him right now. Who wouldn’t? He hosted a party at Guilly’s but took off before the fun starts. He took a big gulp from the beer can held on his left hand. Ano na namang trip ‘to, Viceral? Nababaliw ka na yata eh? Came his mind’s voice. He shook the thought away. He sighed.

He took another gulp. It’s starting to drizzle. What’s taking her so long? Aabutin yata ng madaling araw ang rehearsals nila. O baka naman nakaalis na s’ya? He rested his head on the backrest of the car seat and massaged his forehead. This is getting nowhere. I might as well go home. He said to himself.

“No!” he said out loud. “Ngayon pa ba ako susuko? Pagkatapos ng maraming gabi’ng nandito ako? Tanga lang, Vice?”

He sighed again. Yes, for so many nights for the past two months, after that heart-breaking kiss he witnessed, he had been watching her. Call him a stalker, he doesn’t care. He didn’t know what drove him; all he knows is he wanted to be sure it doesn’t happen again.

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes to clear her mind and calm herself. She held up her cell-phone and scrolled through her messages. There were 5 unread messages listed on the front screen. All from different people, but contained only one main thought. They were asking if she’d seen Vice. She didn’t want to involve herself in the situation. She doesn’t care where he might be. The hell you don’t! Says a part of her brain.

“Argh! Kahit kailan talaga, Karylle, sucker ka pagdating kay Vice.” She said to herself before replying to one of the senders.

I don’t know where he is, Anne, and I don’t think he wants me to. I haven’t heard from him since that fateful day. You know how we are. Pang-Showtime nalang kami, and it’s all my doing. I did the stupidest thing only a Karylle can do. Still, I hope nothing bad has happened to him.

Message sent.

She gathered her stuff. She needs to go home. She’s tired from the rehearsals and the thought of Vice’s “vanishing” act is starting to get on her nerves. She hurried down to the lobby to catch a cab. Her sister borrowed her car today and her driver is currently on sick leave so she clearly doesn’t have a choice.

Darn! It’s starting to rain. She said to herself. She caught a glimpse of an empty taxi and started to run for it, but to no avail. Someone has beaten her to it. Way to go, Karylle! She slowly headed back to the main lobby to ask if the people there could call a cab for her. But as they say, so much for luck!