Chapter 3 || Tuliro

The show is over for today. Sponsors have been acknowledged. The closing credits were rolled up. Her co-hosts tread back to their dressing rooms. People are moving out of the studio. To each his own na naman pagkatapos ng pagpapasaya ng madla. Karylle sighed. She looked up the Hurado chairs on the studio mezzanine. Five chairs were there but only four were occupied earlier.

He still can’t come in. Not until a week’s time. She thought to herself. She just found out today that he was rushed to the hospital the following day after he saw her home three nights ago. Tatlong araw na s’yang admitted pero di man lang s’ya nagpaalam, said one part of her brain. At bakit naman s’ya magpapaalam sa’yo? Ano ka ba n’ya? Said another part.

She continued walking towards her own dressing room when she happened to pass by his. She peeked. Empty. She closed the door slowly and leaned on it. “Puntahan ko kaya s’ya sa hospital?” she asked herself. “Pero paano naman kung ayaw n’ya akong makita? Ako lang naman ang dahilan kung bakit s’ya na admit. Kung di s’ya napaaway no’ng gabing ‘yun sana nasa Showtime s’ya kanina. Sana kahit palabas lang naramdaman ko yung mga pasimpleng akbay at yakap n’ya. Sana hindi s’ya nagkaroon ng blunt trauma, walang blood sa urine n’ya. Sana ---”

“Karylle?” Anne called out from her dressing room. “A moment?”

“Sure, Anne.” She replied with a smile and went towards Anne. “So, what’s it about?” Anne pointed at something on her table. “Kanino yan?”

“It’s for you.” Anne said smiling.

“For me?” Karylle asked. “Eh bakit nandito sa dressing room mo? And how can you be so sure it’s for me? Saka kanino naman galing?”

Anne chuckled. “Isa-isa lang ang tanong pwede po ba yon?” Anne picked up the small box and the card that came with long stemmed pink and white marble rose and showed it to her. “It says ‘Karylle’ on the tag, silly. It’s in my dressing room because yours is locked. At hindi ko alam kung kanino galing. It was just the delivery boy who came.”

“That’s odd.” Karylle said as she picked up the flower. “Who would send me these?”

“Girl,” Anne said. “Aren’t you going to open the small box? Mas nakakaintriga kasi kung ano ang laman eh?”

“Atat much, Anne?” Karylle said. But she did open the box. A puzzle piece?

“I must agree. It is odd.” Anne said picking the puzzle piece from Karylle’s hand. “May ibang trip ‘tong secret admirer mo ha? And I must say this one’s new. Parang wala pang nakaisip na magbigay ng puzzle piece bilang gift sa ina-admire. Well, whatever! Pero, Girl, kinikilig ako.”

Karylle laughed at Anne’s words. “Tama ka, Anne. Mukhang bagong pakulo ito. Look here.” She handed Anne the puzzle piece. “There’s something written on the back but I couldn’t decipher.”

“OMG!” Anne exclaimed.

“Anne!” Karylle exclaimed. “Cover your mouth. Baka mahigop mo ‘ko hindi pa natin malaman kung ano ibig sabihin ng puzzle. Hahaha!”