Part Five- That Night

Flare's POV 

I paced inside the Room of Requirement, waiting for George to appear. The clock behind me said 8:01. 

"Calm down Flare, he's only an hour late!" 

"You should talk to yourself more."  

I spun around, almost tripping on the table. George was there in his Quidditch gear, muddy as hell. So that's why he was late. 

He seemed to have read my mind. "Yeah, Fred and Katie sent me back to recollect myself. When I realized what time it was, I wasn't worried about practice anymore." 

My eyes went as hard as rock as he mentioned Katie, one of the Gryffindor Chasers and a year older than me. 

"Katie was worried about you?" I tried to sound disgusted to hide the fact that I didn't like Katie being worried about George. 

His lips twitched slightly, catching on. "Does that make you jealous Flare?" 

I gave him a false smile. "Course not George. And I'm sure that it doesn't bug you that Draco asked me to the dance and I was going to go with him."  

I sat down, watching him and his reaction. He moved stiffly towards me, one of his eyes twitched at the name of Draco. Silently, I wished that I hadn't of said that. To be honest with myself, I didn't want to see George like this. I wanted him to be like he was in the Three Broomsticks; laid back, easy going, happy. 

The last thought surprised me. Yes, I really wanted him to be happy, and I wanted to be the one to do it. 

"Flare? Hello? I asked you a question." 

I shook my head, clearing it. "What, sorry." 

George stared at me, slight concern in his eyes. Quickly, as soon as I met his eyes, they became guarded, like mine always were. 

That's when it finally happened. I dropped my guard, letting him now through my eyes what I was feeling. 

"Your guard." He whispered softly. 

"I keep up all the time George." I said stiffly, putting it back up. "Forget about it." 

"But, your eyes-" 

"I express my feelings through my eyes, yes."  

He sat back with a humph, eyeing me closely. "You are one remarkable witch." 

I narrowed me eyes. "And you are a amazing prankster." 

George smiled. "Yes, yes I am. But I also like someone." 

"So do I." I bit back the words as soon as I said them. My heart pounded loudly in my chest and I wondered if he heard it. 

"Yeah, you know her." 

"And?" I breathed softly, looking him in the eyes. 

"I want you to talk with her."  

My heart sank. Great. I blinked back tears as I turned away, not wanting him to know that I was hurt by this. Why else would he have asked me to the dance if he didn't like me? To make "Her" jealous? 

I swallowed a soft sob before replying. "Ok." 

He reached for my hand. "Flare, I mean-" 

"No, George, it's ok." I whispered. Quickly I grabbed my bag and headed for the door. 

"Flare, stop."  

He grabbed ahold of my arm gently, pulling me back towards me. I spun around, ready to punch him in the face when the most remarkable thing happened to me. 

George Weasley kissed me.