D.I.T.R. - 27

I woke up to Cole and Daniella crying. I groaned and sat up in the bed, rubbing my heavy eyes. I sighed and grabbed Daniella and put the dummy (a dummy is a pacifier if you didn’t know) in her mouth that had fallen out last night. Daniella instantly quietened down and I looked at the time, it was ten thirty and I still had nowhere near enough sleep. I put Daniella in her crib and grabbed Cole. He face was scrunched up and he was screaming. I tried putting the dummy in his mouth but he spat it out again, crying harder.

I decided to take him for a walk since he would shut up any time soon and I don’t want to wake the others up. I quickly got changed and left the hotel room after writing a quick note and grabbing a key card and my handbag. I put my handbag over my shoulder and cradled Cole in my arms; he was starting to settle down a little but was still sobbing and crying. I walked into the elevator and pushed the ground floor. Since we were on the top floor, I had to wait a while to get down to the bottom of the tall building. Around half way through the ride, it stopped and let a handsome man in. He looked quite young, maybe in his early twenties, he looked pretty cute. He had on a grey shirt with three quarter blue sleaves that were rolled up past his elbows and his jeans were faded and ripped. His brown hair was falling over his forehead in messy disarray that looked good. His deep brown eyes looked at me curiously,

“Good morning,” He greeted in a thick English accent, smiling slightly, “Is this your brother?” He asked, pointing at Cole.

“Um, no,” I said quietly, “He’s my son,” I looked down at Cole who was sucking his thumb and had finally settled down. I looked back at the man and he looked startled,

“How old are you?” He asked sounding curious and not at all rude.

“I’m,” I thought about it for a second and realised my birthday was next week, “Wow, I’m turning eighteen next week.” I said and smiled at him.

“I’m Winston by the way, Winston Marshall,” He held his hand out and I awkwardly shook it while not dropping Cole. The elevator started to move and we started to go down.

“I’m Desiree Smith and this is baby Collin; Cole.” I replied politely.

“I’m guessing you’re from New Zealand or Australia,” He said, looking at me.

“Yeah, I lived in New Zealand until a year ago and then moved to Sydney.” I pushed some of my blonde hair over my shoulder, “I’m guessing you’re from around here,” I looked at him.

“Yeah, just out of town a little,” He replied, “I’m here with a band that I’m in. We’re doing some business things here then we’re going back home.”

“I see. I’m here for business, too,” I replied and the elevator stopped, opening the door and displaying the lobby and three men all dressed similar to Winston.

“But you’re only just eighteen,” He replied confused.

“Well, I’m here for a photography job. Because this little feller and his twin popped out, I haven’t had much of a career.” I sighed.

The three men in the lobby walked towards us, suitcases rolling behind them. The one in front was looking at me with curiosity. He had a white long sleeved shirt on that had its sleeves rolled up and a brown vest. His dark jeans were also faded. He had short black hair that was swept to the side over his forehead. The next one had blonde hair and a grey shirt on and light brown pants. The last one looked a little like Winston; brown hair and dark eyes. He was wearing similar attire as well. He had a grey shirt on but he was wearing an unbuttoned flanny over the top. His light jeans were still completely hole free but were really faded.

“Hello there,” The first one greeted me then looked at the guys standing next to me, “Who’s this?” He asked, addressing me and Cole.

“I found her here. I accidently got her knocked up last year and she’s coming for revenge.” He joked looking totally serious. I decided to go along with it even though I had no idea who these people were. They looked nice and harmless enough. I felt Winston’s arm snake around my neck and pull me a little closer.

The others stood there gobsmacked, not knowing how to respond. Cole started blabbering nonsense sounds and poking my face. I looked down at him with mock annoyance and he smiled at me.

“WHAT?” The blonde guy shouted. We both burst out laughing at his expression and the guys just stood there in shock.

“I was joking guys! As if I’d do that and leave her. I just met her in the elevator. They all sighed with relief and the guy that looked a little bit like Winston put his hand over his heart.

“Oh, man you scared me for a second there,” The blonde guys said, “I’m Ted Dwane,” He shook my hand that was half holding Cole.

“I’m Marcus Mumford,” Said the first guy, “But you can call me Marc,” He added.

“And I’m Ben Lovett,” The last guy, the one that looked like Winston, said. They all had heavy English accents.

“My names Desiree Smith but you can call me Dez,” My phone rang from in my bag and I tried to get it out without dropping Cole.

“Here, let me hold him,” Winston said and took Cole out of my arms. I was a bit scared because I barely knew him and he was already holding my baby but all four of the guys all came over to him and started making funny faces and talking babyish to him. I chuckled and answered my phone,

“Shanae?” I answered; I’d seen the contact ID.

“Hello dear. I’m glad you’re awake. Now would you be able to drop into my office later today? The band is meant to meet me there at around five and I wanted to talk to you before then, about cameras and the basic necessities of photography? You’ll be able to meet the band, too if you’re lucky,” She asked cheerfully.

“Yeah, sure. That’d be fine. Is there anything I need to bring?”

“Just you and your credit card because we might be able to get you your own camera if you want. Oh and leave the babes.” She replied.

“Great I’ll see you later, bye.” I hung up and turned to Cole and the guys. They looked so funny with him that I burst out laughing. They all stopped their funny looks at looked at the ground, embarrassed.

Ben was the first one to break the silence, “Look guys, we need to get all our stuff up to the room before we got to meet that woman,” He looked at all the black hard cased boxes of all shapes that looked like instruments.

They all agreed and handed Cole back to me, “I hope we will see each other again, Dez,” Ted said. They all said their goodbyes and I continued on my walk out the hotel and into the busy streets, hoping that I wouldn’t get lost.

It was chilly out so I wrapped Cole in the blanket I had thankfully put in my bag. I walked down the street and into the busy business day of people walking and talking on their phones, brief cases in their other hand. I looked around the unfamiliar city as I walked. I’d never been to London before; I’d been to lots of places but never London. I’d been to different parts of Europe like Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, Germany and even Holland but not London.

High rise buildings were all around me, reaching past the low clouds. I saw a cafe in the distance and headed over to it. I walked inside and was greeted by the familiar smell of coffee and a warm room filled with table and chairs. I walked up to the counter and ordered a mochachino because I hated the taste of coffee, it’s disgusting. I took a number after paying for it and took a seat in the half full cafe full of people drinking coffee and eating cookies or pastries.

I sat down in a booth towards the back of the cafe and pulled my knees up; resting the cocooned Cole’s back on my thighs. He looked like he was about to fall asleep and I kissed his cheek. My phone rang as the waitress brought my hot drink to me in a take away cup because that’s what I’d asked for. I silenced my phone without looking at it and thanked her. I took a sip of the boiling drink and my eyes filled with moisture as I swallowed the burning liquid that just burnt the inside of my mouth.

I put my drink down and grabbed my drink bottle that I always kept in my bag and cooled down my mouth. I sighed and forgot all about my phone, even though it was vibrating off its nut. Sometimes I wish that I only had one baby instead of twins so I can give one more love then both of them but I wouldn’t trade the world for only one.