D.I.T.R. - 10

*Pic on side of Josh - played by Xavier Samuel

I got off the plane at Sydney Domestic Airport and got onto a train that was heading down to Parramatta. I knew John and Lenny from Justice Crew lived there at the moment but I’m not really sure where. I got out of the airport and caught a cab. I just told him to take me to the middle of Parramatta suburbia. I looked out the window at the dark underground walls lined with lights the whole twenty minutes that it took to get to my destination, just thinking. I have no idea what I’m doing. I just needed to think.  I need to sort out things between Samson and Ryan now.

I really did trust Ryan now. When we were still best friends, he was one of the most trust-worthy people I knew. He just had to stuff everything up by being blinded by popularity and not friendship; he had to be a shallow bastard. When Ryan first switched ‘sides’, going to the ‘popular side’ so to speak, you wouldn’t believe the hurt and betrayal I felt from him. It was like I had my world just crumpling before my eyes. Everyday I’d hide at lunch; hide from the evil stares and gossiping accusers who would whisper just loud enough for you to hear right in front of your face. Everyday I’d feel like shit because of him, feel unwanted and alone. At this time, I was concentrating on my studies because my brother, Callum, had just been born and my grades were really low. I couldn’t go to a comp in Sydney at the time with my crew because I had to study.

I knew my crew would stick by me every step of the way but I couldn’t handle it. Instead, I pushed everyone away, forming my own little shell. I didn’t talk to anyone and all I did was study, sleep and occasionally eat. Of course I did the usual going to the bathroom and showering, sometimes grocery shopping with mum or Samson and helping taking care of Callum.

Callum, my three year old brother, I must admit, is one of the cutest, sweetest little boys I know. He has pale blonde hair and big ice blue eyes that are just gorgeous against his naturally tanned skin. He is talking now, more like mumbling because he talks so fast and is just about toilet trained. He adores Samson and I think he thinks I’m a better mother then our mum. See, mum and dad aren’t really married anymore. Yeah, legally they are and they live in the same house but that’s all the connection they have with each other. They never talk to each other besides when it’s to discuss us kids and that’s hardly ever because we don’t live with them anymore. Whenever I see Callum, which is hardly ever, you can really see how much it’s affecting him and his growth. He’s definitely more mature at time than a normal three year old but he still had lots of energy and loves kiddie things like toy cars and plush toys.

But when it comes down to it, I love him and really hate my parents. Mum and dad don’t give Callum the attention he needs. All they really do is put him on the floor with lots of clothes and when the time comes, give him food and water in a sipper cup. Callum has figured out how to turn the television on and change channels, but that’s about it. It’s not like he can put in all the Wiggles or Muppet DVD’s we have into the player and press play. He’s three for crying out loud.

I looked at my phone and I had seventeen missed calls from Nat and thirty three missed calls from Samson. I guess he told Nat that I’ve run away. I rejected the call from Samson that was coming through and decided to call Nat. As I put the phone to my ear, the train stopped and I got out. It was early evening and lots of people were getting home from work or trying to find a fast food shop or food court for dinner. I entered a Hungry Jacks and was going to order a Stunner Deal because I was quite hungry. Nat answered the phone when I was in the line to order,

“Where on earth are you?” She almost shrieked at me through the phone. People around me glanced at me from the sound of Nat’s angry voice coming out of my phone. I just glared at them and they went on their way,

“Why does it matter? You know I’m safe and it’s not like Samson cares that much.” I snapped at her. I know she didn’t do anything but I’m in a bad mood from thinking about how mum and dad treat my baby brother.

“Oh, Dez,” She sighed, “You have no idea how worried Samson sounded on the phone when he first called me. So where are you? You’re obviously not on a plane because you wouldn’t answer your phone because you know you’d die from a plane crash or something and I can hear people talking in the background.” She stated matter-of-factly.

I could hear quite a bit of noise from her end of the phone too, including voices from my crew and what sounded a bit like Callum’s voice, “I’m in Parramatta, trying to find John and Lenny. Yeah, I know they’ll be stressing big time about this whole Summer thing but I won’t be a problem. I just need a place to crash and cook some food. I’ll even possibly to some house work for them in exchange.” I tried to reason with her and even though she was somewhere else I could almost sense she didn’t buy it.

“You? Doing housework? Bullshit.” She snickered once but then went serious, “Do whatever you want, Dez. You know you have more than one person who’s worried about you and needs you in your life. Why did you run anyways?” She asked. I heard a faint announcement that I couldn’t make out in the background, “Actually don’t answer that now because I’m about to get on a plane to your house with the crew and Callum,” She sounded almost sad to have to watch him on a plane for a couple of hours and it struck a nerve,

“What? So you can’t even take care of a little three year old boy for a couple of hours?” I snapped at her. I was really upset that she would say that. She knows about Callum’s lack of attention from my parents and now that they sent me to live with Samson, it’s even lower.

“It’s not that, Dez.” She replied in an even sadder tone, “Your parents don’t want him anymore, Dez. They want Samson to claim custody over him or he’ll be put up for foster or even adoption. You know I can’t even be that heartless could you? I love you brother as my own. He’s so sweet and beautiful. I’d claim him if you guys didn’t but I know that you’d take care of him, even though you can’t claim him, Samson would and you’d treat him as your own.”

This is why I love Nat so much. She’s so kind hearted and understanding. She’d never accuse you of anything and she just doesn’t care what you do or say unless it’s extremely offensive and mean. Guilt washed over me and I felt terrible of accusing her

“Oh my goodness, Nat, I’m so sorry that I accused you of that. I feel terrible but so joyful that Callum actually gets to have an actual childhood now! Just a minute,” I put her on hold and ordered my food because the line had slowly moved away and I was now first, “So he’s coming with you to Tasmania to Samson’s house?” I asked her. I couldn’t wait to see my baby brother’s face again and hear him speak.

“Yeah, he’s sitting on my lap now,” I heard Callum’s little baby voice ask if he could speak to me and Nat’s reply. She said he could in just a minute, “Hey, Dez? Have you got the new iPhone?” She asked for some strange reason.

“Yeah...” I replied a little unsure of why she’d asked. I got my food and headed to a small table towards the back of the restaurant.

“Good, now Skype me and see your beautiful brothers face as well a mine,” She giggled and said her goodbyes before hanging up. I quickly downloaded the Skype app from the app store and signed in. I video called Nat’s address and she answered,

“Hello,” She smiled at me and angled the phone down a little so I could see Callum,

“Callum, how you doing little buddy?” I asked him in a sweet baby voice. I smiled sweetly and adoringly at my little brother on the screen. He told me all about when ‘mummy and daddy’ dropped him off at Nat’s parents house with all his stuff and told him he’s going to have a massive sleep over at Nat’s house for a while before going on a big ‘jumbo jet airplane’ all the way to Samson’s house. His cute little voice sometimes slurred a bit from talking so fast but I was used to it so I could understand.

It was really sad how my parents could just do that to him. They were just self centred idiots with no heart; I hated them with a passion now. I listened to Callum ramble on about Nat’s house and the airport with all the big people and big planes.

 When he was finished he smiled real big and I gasped, “Wow look at all you white teeth.” I smiled at him and laughed when he tried to smile bigger. That’s when I noticed I wasn’t the only one sitting at the table...