D.I.T.R. - 16

“Hi,” The beautiful girl said shyly, “I’m Allison,” She looked at the hot chocolate on the table in front of her and started to stir it distractedly. My first impression of her was that she was shy, obviously.

“Hey Allison, I’m Desiree but you can call me Dez.” I gave her the friendliest smile I could muster up and she looked up from her beverage and smiled at me. I scooted over on the seat to sit next to her and we started talking about school and she was going to be at the same school as me. Rueben just sat there, bored by the look on his face. Sometimes he’d just stare at Allison with love and adoration in his eyes and sometimes he’d tap away at his HTC phone. He sometimes said a few words in the conversation Ali and I were having about school or people at their school; like people to stay away from and people who you can’t trust.

“Mummy!” We were talking about some of the popular people who are shallow and some who are really nice when Callum ran into the shop, a massive lolly pop in his hand. He squealed when we saw Rueben and ran up to me, jumping in my arms and almost dropping the massive sweet on a stick in his hand. He giggled when saw Ali and started jumping up and down in my lap, giggling hysterically. A few seconds later, Nat sat down next to me exhausted. I chuckled at her,

“How much sugar did you give him?” I asked, trying to be serious but failing miserably. I giggled when Callum jumped into Rueben’s lap and the lollypop stuck to his face. Ali giggled too and that’s when Nat saw her,

“Hey, I’m Natalia but please call me Nat,” Nat gave her a perfect smile, showing her perfectly straight teeth and Allison smiled back at her,

“Ali,” Allison turned back to her boyfriend and started laughing at him when he was trying to get the sticky lollypop off his face. He grunted in pain when Callum just ripped it off and he cupped his cheek in pain. We three girls burst out laughing and Callum just kept licking the colourful sweet happily, bouncing a little from a sugar overload.

“Well that was good day, Allison is really nice,” Nat said when we finally got home that day, slumping onto the couch. Callum was asleep in my arms from when the sugar wore off, snuggling into my chest. I brought him upstairs and put him in his bed after changing him into some Lightning McQueen pj’s.

I walked down the stairs and saw Nat asleep on the couch. I smiled at her and gently nudged her to wake her up. Her eyes opened slightly and she mumbled incoherently for me to go away but I just kept shaking her,

“Come on Nat, you’re going to get a sore back so get to bed,” I whispered to her loudly. She groaned but reluctantly dragged her feet up the stairs. It was only around eight, we’d eaten dinner while we were out so I just went upstairs and went to bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The days soon blurred together with the daily routine of taking care of Callum and playing games with him and the odd cleaning and vacuuming here and there. The two weeks went by quickly and before I knew it, it was Monday and I was trying to get my top on because it was quite fitted and had a zip at the back.

I groaned when I couldn’t get the zip up at the back, “NAT,” I yelled out and I heard a faint ‘what?’ coming from her room, “I need you to zip me up!” I yelled at her and she appeared a few seconds later, half her long chocolate brown hair straightened and the other half up, out of the way because she was half way between straightening it. She was in some short denim shorts, her tanned legs on display. I giggled and she just gave me a pointed look. I just turned around and shoved my hair over my shoulder to give her access to the zip without it getting caught in the zipper. I heard the zip go up and the top tighten a little.

I went into my bathroom and put some product in my naturally curly blonde hair, ringlets falling over my shoulder. I pinned up two ringlets that framed my face, getting them out of my way and put minimal makeup on, just a coat of mascara and a light brown coloured eye shadow. I put a little lip gloss on and walked down the stairs to get some breakfast. I looked at the time and it was already eight thirty so I quickly grabbed a muesli bar and yelled for Nat to hurry up.

A minute later, Nat came bounding down the stairs her Chanel over sized bag over her shoulder. She quickly grabbed an apple to eat on the way to school. I grabbed my bag and put my wallet in there and some food to eat if I get hungry during the day.

We left and I gave Callum a goodbye kiss and said goodbye to Sam and Jodie who were cooking pancakes in the kitchen for Cal. We got in my car, a vintage classic that I loved and had no idea what it was called. I typed in the school’s name into the Navman and we pulled out of our driveway and headed to school. The machines voice was the only thing that was making any sound on the way there, besides the low radio that was playing some David Guetta song. We pulled into the car park at the school and heaps of teens were lounging around their cars, hanging out with friends before they had to start the week off. Some cars were posh Ferraris with some kind of unappealing music playing from the speakers, while some were vintage classics like mine; one in particular was swarmed with older looking students. They had the loudest music, playing some new LMFAO song. I parked in an empty space near the loud music players and Rueben and Ali were almost instantly in front of our car, holding hands.

I stepped out of the car, my aviator sunnies on shielding my eyes from the harsh sun that was out shining brightly today, and I realised of the guys were looking at me. That’s when I noticed that my car was by far the rarest and nicest here. I smiled and suddenly felt self conscious so I quickly walked over to my two new friends and stood behind them so that I was out of view from the teenage boys staring at me. I had on a frilly fronted lilac top that was tucked into ripped and faded denim high waisted short shorts that had round buttons on them and some studs on the right side. I had on some plain peep toe heels that were the same colour as my top. They quite high but I was still able to walk in them.

“Hey guys, I haven’t seen you in ages,” Ali said, hugging me. We haven’t been talking to them much because Callum was kind of a full time job for a seventeen year old. I was in eleventh year (junior if you live in America lol I’m an Aussie) this year and had quite understanding and quick to pick thing up when it came to education. I’ve never liked school, ever. That’s why on my record it says I’ve been expelled five times and suspended so many times that I’ve lost count. I usually just get annoyed at people and start fights, weather physical or verbal, and it ends up with a disappointed brother and annoyed parents.

“Yeah, sorry but I’ve been taking care of my baby brother and he’s hard work,” I grimaced when I thought about when Nat left the lolly box on the bench and Callum had a sugar high for the rest of the day while she high jacked it out of there.

A tall guy with broad shoulders walked up to us and smirked, “Hello new ladies,” He purred, trying to sound seductive but totally failing, “can I help you with anything?” He asked with the same stupid voice that sounded really weird,

“Sure you can,” I replied trying to hide my chuckled. Nat knew what I was doing and couldn’t contain her giggles because a different thing happens every time we move school and a jock tried to hit on me, “You can get outta my way before you meet the floor,” I said in a flat voice but smiled up at him innocently. His smirk fell for a second before it was there again and he stepped uncomfortably closer to me and whispered in my ear,

“I’d like to meet someone else, or do someone else. The girls here a getting boring and I want some fun,” He chuckled throatily in my ear that made me grimace and I punched him in the stomach. He grunted and bent over, clutching his stomach, winded. I smirked at him,

“I’m sure you would but I wouldn’t.” That’s when the bell decided to ring and I turned back to Ali and Rueben. Rueben had an amused smile on his face, as did Allison,

“I’ve never seen someone do that to my brother before,” He held up his hand for me to give him a high five, smiling widely and chuckling. I slapped his hand hesitantly and looked at Rueben’s brother. He did look like Rueben, though, which I didn’t notice before. His blonde hair was the exact shade of Rueben’s and when he looked at me; his features were all the same besides his sky blue eyes compared to Rueben’s dark grey ones.

“Hey, I’m James,” Rueben’s brother held out his hand for me to shake, “Sorry about before. I was just playing around,” He smiled at me and I put my hand in his to shake,

“Desiree,” I replied. James pulled my hand towards him and engulfed me in a hug,

“The offer still stands, though,” He whispered into my ear. I immediately pushed him away and followed Rueben and Ali into the school, Nat walking next to me. Time to start another new school, I thought to myself. I just hope it doesn’t end the same as last time.