D.I.T.R. - 15

“Oh, hey,” I smiled at him and shook his outstretched hand, “I’m Desiree and my friend Natalia is over there,” I pointed over to Nat who was making her way over to us, a defeated look on her face. I guess she didn’t get the response from that guy that she wanted. I chuckled teasingly at her when she sat down next to Rueben in a huff,

“Why don’t guys ever like me?” She whined and pulled out her iPhone and going on Facebook. He glanced at her and looked back at me,

“So is he yours?” He asked with a soft smile, looking adoringly at him. I was just about to save myself from embarrassment but Cal just had to ruin it,

“Mummy,” He whined and dragged it out. He was half submerged in my oversized handbag probably looking for food, “I can’t find my banana,” He said softly like he was about to cry, “I can’t find it,” He pulled his head out of my bag, his white-blonde hair sticking in all directions, and climbed onto my lap, his lip quivering adorably. He buried his head in my chest and I smiled softly down at him when he wrapped his small arms around my waist, well tried to.

“Baby, I’m sure it’s in there somewhere.” I cooed him and reached for my bag, finding the banana right on the top. I rolled my eyes and muttered, “Boys eye sight these days,” and peeled it for him. He took it eagerly and began eating it, making cute monkey noises and laughing hysterically at Rueben when he did it too. Nat just gave us a funny look and went back to texting on her phone.

“I like you,” Callum said when he’d finished his banana and had settled down from laughing so much. He smiled and climbed onto his lap. Rueben grabbed him with gentle hands and I kept a close eye on him, I only just met him.

“Well I like you too. I’m Rueben,” They laughed about stuff together and Rueben tickled Callum, making him squeal with laughter. I couldn’t help but laugh when he did that and an old couple walked past, smiling at us,

“Look at that nice young family, dear,” The old woman said and I was about to correct her but Rueben put his arm around my waist,

“Why thank you, ma’am.” He smiled at her and began to play with Callum again. I gave him a disbelieving look and he just shrugged, “Why not make them happy?”

I just shrugged as well and packed up the stuff that Callum had tipped onto his seat to find his fruit. The ferry stopped and stood up, seeing it was our stop. It must’ve been Rueben’s stop as well because he got up to. Callum started walking out the door, pulling Nat’s hand with him,

“What are you guys doing today?” Rueben asked as we walked outside into the sun. I put my sunnies on and walked up the ramp and onto solid ground. My heels were clacking against the pavement as we walked up the path,

“I don’t know really. We are new here so we decided to check out some of the shops and stuff here.” I shrugged and looked up at him, “What about you?” I asked him.

He smiled down at me, “I’m actually meeting my girlfriend and we’re going out for lunch,” When he’d finished saying that, some girl screeched out his name,

“Ruby!” Her voice was horrible and loud. I winced a little and found the owner of the blonde. I looked at the fake blonde, short skirted, orange skinned girl and immediately took a disliking to her.

“Which is not her,” I saw him grimace out the side of my eye and chuckled to myself, sensing his discomfort. This chick reminded me of Bianca so I knew how to handle it.

“Ruby?” I asked in a teasing voice, making it high and screechy like this chick that was walking up to us now.

The skank had the guts saunter over to us and push her overly fake boobs, pushed up from a push up bra and barley covered, in his chest. I made a disgusted noise and she turned to me with a dirty look on her face. I smiled innocently at her and she looked me up and down. I looked down at my Hurley skinny jeans and my Volcom tank top that showed a tiny bit of my flat tanned belly. On my feet were sparkly, strappy heels that were quite high.

I took in her tight black, short skirt that went to her waist and her low tight spaghetti strap top and grimaced.

“Who are you?” She asked me snottily and I just looked at her with a flat look,

“No one your small head should be concerned of,” I batted my eyelashes a little at her for effect and turned to Rueben, “I’ll see you round,” I beamed at him and he said his goodbyes as well before I left him with that horrid girl. My phone rang in my tight jeans pocket and I took it out, answering it without looking at the caller ID assuming it was Nat because I’d lost them.

“Hey sexy,” I heard Hayden’s slurred voice say from the other end, “I miss you so much it hurts,” His voice was low and creepy, he was obviously drunk. I frowned and walked along the path that led to the city centre, keeping my eye out for Nat and Cal.

“Um,” I didn’t really know what to say, “Are you alright Hayden?” My voice sounded unsure and that was how I felt. I had no idea what to do and his weird calls were getting creepier by the day.

“Why would I be okay if you’re not in my bed?” He asked and laughed a loud, barking laugh. If I was with him right now, I’d probably be running for my life. I decided to just hang up on him and I put my phone back in my pocket. It vibrated again and I ignored it, trying to find Nat and Callum. Knowing them, they’d probably found themselves in a lolly shop or somewhere that sells food but not meals.

I was wondering around just looking in shops, sometimes buying something I liked in the window. I hadn’t seen any sign of my brother and best friend and it was about midday so I decided to grab some lunch. I walked into the closest restaurant that looked promising and ordered a big sundae because I wasn’t in the mood for anything else. I took a number and sat down on the long couch that had a couple of separate tables along it. A couple of people were occupying it and I just took a free seat. It looked relatively clean so I put my bag next to me on the floor, my knees brought up to my chest and the corner of my heels on the seat.

I took my phone out and deleted all the missed calls I had from Hayden and blocked his number quickly. I texted Nat, telling her which restaurant I was in and she said she’d meet me there later, her and Callum were in a massive lolly shop and he was choosing heaps of lollies and lolly pops. I smiled and Callum wanted to Skype me so he could show me all the lollies he was getting. I agreed and a minute later, my little brother’s face filled the screen of my iPhone. I smiled adoringly at him and talked to him for a while about all the different types of sweets he could get and not to get too many or he’ll lose all his teeth. I was talking to Nat about some stuff when I felt someone sitting next to me. I looked up to see Rueben sitting next to me,

“Hello again,” He said and smiled. He glanced at away to behind me, “I want you to meet my girlfriend,” He pointed to someone behind me and I turned to look at her and when I saw her, she was the most beautiful girl I’d ever seen.