Chapter 8

He made me sit while he did the rest. I sat and flipped channels until I heard something. I jumped up as Isacc came to the door. The sound stopped and I caught my breath, it was so familiar almost like... I grabbed the sofa arm and stood up. Isacc had already gone outside to meet them. I made my way to the only window and pulled the curtain to reveal a small space where I could peek. I almost fell at the sight. There was dad and mom. I gasped and turned away. I had to get out. Before I could even think of what to do I heard them coming up the steps. My heart raced as I made it to the only place I thought would help me. I clambered behind the long sofa and then lay still. They entered and then Isacc stopped talking. “Well she was right here,” He said. I heard footsteps but he came back to the room. “She just disappeared,” He said. “Maybe she was scared of the car,” Dad said. “I highly doubt,” Isacc said.  I heard them as they moved towards the table and then sat down. I exhaled. I heard dad start up the conversation about how long he had not been there and then my mind did a double take. “If my parents were here that could only mean one thing. I was the girl that Isacc was supposed to meet and he was the one I was supposed to marry.” The thought drifted and then I felt like fainting.

                The talk continued and then came to a standstill. “Isacc,” My father began, “I know that your father and I made a promise but I don’t know how to say this,” He said. There was silence and then he spoke. “Amy has gone missing,” He let out. The room fell silent. I could feel the tension gathering. I lay still and listened. “Did she know that she was going to marry?” Isacc asked. There was silence and then mom spoke. “No, only when we came here we told her.” There was a long sigh. “No wonder she ran away,” Isacc said, “She probably felt she had no choice.” I heard mom sigh. “But I...” dad began. “It’s ok,” Isacc said, “Atleast can I see her picture.” “No!” My mind cried. “Don’t show him!” I heard some fumbling and knew that dad was taking out the photo of me from his wallet I could almost picture him taking it out and flipping through his contacts to get it.

                I heard a gasp and knew that I was caught. The meal continued silently after which was a shock because I thought that Isacc would spill his guts about me. Instead he was silent. When the meal was finished and they had left he came and sat on the sofa. “You can come out now,” He said. I gasped and realized that he knew that I was here all along. I stood up shakily and clutched the couch I seated myself beside him. “Why didn’t you tell me?” He asked without looking at me. I sighed and spoke. “I’m sorry,” was all I managed. He stared at me and then took my hand. “No,” He said, “I’m sorry for what I had you dragged in.” I shook my head and then the tears came. “It’s ok,” He said, “You don’t have to marry me.” My tears subsided and I looked at him. “But your father,” I said. He shook his head. “I’ll get married someday,” he said and smiled. I looked at him for a long moment and then pulled his hand. “Isacc, “I said, “I...I...” He looked at me and gently extricated his arm. He stood up and smiled. “It’s been a long night I’ll get you some supper and you can get some rest. “Does this mean that I have to go home?” I asked. He smiled. “Do you want to stay with me>?” He asked with a glint in his eye. I felt the willies creep up my back and then smiled and shook my head. I ate and then he made me sleep in the room with the cool electronics. I thanked him and then went in.

                I awoke the next morning and gazed around me somehow I felt stupid, for what I had no idea. I sat up and got out of bed. I brushed my teeth and made my way downstairs. Isacc was no where around. I saw a slip of paper of the table and took it up. It was a note from him. “I made breakfast, eat and get dress I’ll drop you when I’m finished with my chores.” I uncovered a plate and saw some toasts and sausages. I ate barely anything; my mind and appetite were on two separate roads. I did not know what the heck was wrong with me. I washed my plate and made sure everything was neat before sitting in front of the TV and flipping through channels. Isacc came in while I was watching TV and plopped down beside me. I smiled at him. “So this is it,” He said. My smile disappeared. I looked away. He got up and for the first time I noticed that he had car keys on the table near to a vase. “You have a car?” I asked. He smiled and nodded. I followed him and saw that indeed he had a car.  He left me to get seated and ran back inside. He came back with my bag. I thanked him and then he got in. He drove past the house and made his way through several winding roads before he finally stopped in front a blue gate. I sighed and leaned back my head. “Thank you,” I said. I stared at him and saw him staring at me. “I’m sorry I got you into this mess,” He said. I sighed. Somehow this mess seemed better than what I was used to. I cursed myself inwardly and then smiled.

                “Hey do you have a phone?” I asked. He smiled. “Why?” he asked back. I smiled. “I want your number,” I said.  He smiled and pulled out touch screen. I grinned. I so underestimated him. He gave me his number and then with a last look I got out. I waved as he drove off and then walked towards the gate. Before I could get there mom was running from the door with open arms. She grabbed me in a bear hug and I felt her tears against my cheek. “Thank God!” she cried, “My baby’s home!”