Chapter 7

I awoke to the sound of a frying pan. My eyes snapped open and I sat up. I moaned when my feet touched the floor. It was ore but I could still move them. I sat up and looked towards a door where the sounds were emanating from. It flew open and Isacc came out. “Good morning,” He said. I replied. “You look terrible,” He said. I smiled. “I should get the doctor,” he said. “No!” I exclaimed. His eyebrows furrowed but he nodded slowly. “I feel fine,” I said. “I brought these,” He said and held up my toothbrush with a thick layer of toothpaste. He held out a basin and held a jug. I thanked him when I was fished. “I needed that,” I said. “Your welcome,” He said and disappeared through the door. He came back with a plate of eggs and toasts and a cup of tea. I was not a fan of tea but I drank it down anyway. He smiled at me and then looked at my clothes. “I’ll have a late shower,” I said. He nodded and said that he had a few chores to do. He left me with the remote and I smiled. I flipped through channel after channel until I gave up. TV seemed way down on my lists of importance right now. I reached for my bag and then delved through till I pulled out my phone. “Why didn’t I think of this before?” I cried. I dialled Maxine but her phone rang out. “Great!” I thought.

                I lay back and eventually fell asleep with nothing to do. I woke up groggily and saw Isacc standing over me. “Hey,” He said, “I think you’re getting a fever I’m going to call the doctor,” He said. I grabbed his hand. “Please, “I begged and shook my head. He sighed and I took up my bag. “Here I have some pills I can take,” I said. He nodded and brought me some water. I took two aspirins and then gulped down the water and sat back. “So what time it?” I asked. “It’s four,” He said. “You’re not serious,” I cried. I sat up straight and then looked at him. “I need a shower,” I said. He helped me up and across the room towards the stairs. I groaned. “Don’t worry, “He said before lifting up my legs and carrying me up bridal style. “What?” I cried. He smiled. “It’s ok,” He said and carried me up. We entered a room with pastel colored paint and he rested me down on a bed with a blue bedspread. I gazed around and saw a stereo, TV, computer and even fridge. “Cool room,” I said. He smiled and muttered thanks.  He carried me to the bath and set me down on a tub that had been built in. “If you need anything I’ll be right here,” He said. I nodded as he left. I had never met someone like him before, he was different, loyal to his unseen bride and so, so...” I shut my eyes tight and pulled out my dress. I could not think about him, he was getting married. I threw the dress off and turned on the shower. I turned and let the warm blast flow through my hair and shoulders. I smiled and let my tears and tired feet get loose.

                I was not sure I was doing the right thing but when I thought about College all I could hear was that if I got married that would be the end of me. I imagined holding a babe and three children clinging to my long cotton print dress. I shook my head and soaped myself before letting the water wash off the soap. I stood up shakily and felt the full force of the water. After a while I stepped out and grabbed the towel next to the sink. I wrapped myself and then opened the door. “Wait!” Someone cried. My hand froze. “Oh my Gosh!” I thought. I looked out and saw that he was holding my bag. “Here,” He said and gave me the bag through the space in the door. I took it and then stepped back in. “Wow,” was all I could say. I took out a crumpled blue tee-shirt and a jeans and my only pair of clean underwear. I slipped on the clothes and then came out. Isacc was nowhere in sight. I suddenly realized that I had or had almost come close to violating his culture. This seemed weird but I guess I should apologize. I stepped out of the room and clutched the banister of the stairs and made my way down stairs. I found him setting the table. “Hey Isacc, “I began. I saw him blush. “I’m sorry,” I said. He nodded and said it was ok.