Chapter 9

We moved back home after my disarranged marriage or so I called it. I guess I was supposed to feel relief, I mean I was not going to see any beards and suspenders hopefully but still. I felt like I was leaving something behind, something that I had waited a long time to find. It was a feeling that sent goosebumps up my spine eveytime I thought about it. I closed my eyes and then reopened them. I stared at my suitcases and smiled. They were still packed and they would be moving with me to my dorm. After we returned home a letter was left for me, my acceptance letter to my choice college. I was never so happy. Everything seemed to be going perfect yet still the feeling stayed with me. My eyes shot towards the dresser just as a loud peel of Avril Lavigne’s, here’s to never growing up emanated from my phone. I reached for it and flipped it open to Maxine’s number. This would be the first time she was calling since my episode.

                “Where are you?” were her first words. “I’m home,” I answered. “Well guess what?” She asked. I smiled. “What?” I asked back. “Guess?” she said. “Just tell me,” I insisted. I heard a snicker and then she spoke. “I got into the college we wanted to go to!” she yelled. “Congrats!” I shouted back. There was a burst of giggles and then the line went silent. “Well,” her voice chimed in again, “What about you?” I sighed. “I’m sorry,” I lied. “No!” she muttered, “You’re going to leave me alone!” she cried. I sniffled and then smiled inwardly. “I’ll miss you,” I said. “No!” she muttered again. “Ha I gotcha!” I yelled. “You pig!” she shouted. I smiled. “We’ll be roomies,” she shouted. “Yeah probably, “I said. “Hey guess what I’ll be doing?” she asked. I smiled. “Engineering,” I answered. “Yes!” she cried. “What about you?” she asked. “You know teaching,” I said. She snickered, “Hey good luck with those little brats,” she said. I smiled. “Hey one day I may be teaching a little Max junior,” I said. She groaned and then I laughed. “You know that you’ll probably be the only girl in engineering right,” I said. “That’s Ok Aims I have two brothers I could manage,” She said. “I smiled. We talked for a while and then I hung up and lay back.

                I had lain back for about five minutes when I heard a knock and my door opened. I looked up to see my mom. She came and sat down close to me. I smiled and she took my hand. “So you’re leaving me,” She began. I inhaled and then pulled myself up and hugged my knees.  I smiled. “I’ll be back,” I said. She gave my hand a squeeze. “You better,” she said, “And Ms. Amy while you’re gone I know how these colleges work, please stay away from those hippies and all those guys that you know,” she said and blushed. I smiled. “Mom it’s Ok I’m going to college for a purpose and if anything pops up that you should know about I’ll call,” I said. “You better,” She said again, “I switched your phone to a postpaid so we’ll be paying your bill so please don’t forget to call,” she said. I sighed and smiled a little. “Thank you mom,” I said and reached out to give her a hug. She smiled and returned it.