Chapter 6

I lay there crying my tear ducts out when I heard it. It was like an echo in the wind but it came closer. “Hello!” It shouted. I lay still. I had no idea who it was but I couldn’t let them find me. I closed my eyes and held my breath. “Please don’t find me, please don’t find me,” I chanted in my mind. I heard a shuffle and then the steps came closer.  “Goodness!” A voice cried. I let out my breath knowing that I was discovered. Something lifted my arm and turned me over. I kept my eyes closed. A hand reached for my leg and I could help it any longer. “Keep you hands off!” I cried. The hands shot back and I opened my eyes. I could not see there face but I felt there strength. “Are you hurt?” The deep voice asked. “I answered yes. He lifted my arms and I cursed. I heard something like a giggle. I ignored it and he lifted me. “Please, please don’t touch my foot,” I said. “I have to,” He said. His hands reached down. “No!” I cried and slapped his hand away. He took a deep breath and held me up. I clung to him and groaned as my feet became elevated. Silent tears began to flow as he carried me. I was so sorry I had ever tried to run away, I was so sorry for wearing these stupid shoes.

                He walked for what seemed like hours but was really minutes. When he stopped I looked up to see the satellite dish. “Do you live here?” were the first words out of my mouth. He nodded in the darkness. He carried me up the porch steps and I finally saw him. He had black hair and was wearing a white v- neck tee shirt. His eyes were a green grey colour and he was sort of tanned. I glanced away as he looked at me. I saw him smirk at the corner of my eyes. I looked on as he stopped at the entrance and opened turned the door handle. He was not half bad. I turned to see that we had entered a spacious room. The first thing my eyes fell upon was the TV. “Civilization,” I thought. I twisted and saw a long sofa and two smaller ones complete with an ottoman. He carried me to the long sofa and then gently eased me onto it. I sighed as by back touched the surface. This felt like heaven to me after two rough days. He sat on the ottoman and then looked at my feet. “Are you crazy?” was the first word he said. I stared at this stranger. He reached out for my foot and I cringed. My reflexes pulled them back. “Ow!” I cried.

                He stared at me and then at my feet. “You have to take it off you know,” He said. I closed my eyes and nodded. “Go ahead,” I said. I felt as his hands brushed my leg and reached for the shoes.  He loosened the strap and then eased it out. “Shoot!” I cried and dug my hands into the sofa. He stopped for a moment and then continued with the second shoe. I wanted to yell out loud but I bit my lower lip. His hand graced mine. I opened my eyes and realized that I had actually shed a tear. He smiled and then got up. “I’ll be back,” he said. He disappeared for a few minutes and returned with a bowl of warm water, a clean towel and a roll of bandages. I closed my eyes and waited as he cleaned my feet and bandaged them. When he was finished he sat back and looked at me. I sighed and looked back before breaking my gaze. “So,” He began, “What’s a girl like you doing in a place like this?” I was silent for a moment before I realized I could not tell him who I was. The first thing that came to my mind I said. “I was taking a walk and somehow I got lost,” I said. His eyes narrowed. “And you were taking a walk with a bag of snacks, medication and clothes he said. At once my eyes flitted to the bag he had brought in. I nodded grimly.

                He sighed but nodded. “Wait here,” He said and disappeared again. “It’s not like I can go anywhere,” I thought. He came back with a two sandwiches and a glass of milk. I thanked him and ate it hungrily. He looked at me but when I looked up he looked away. I wiped my mouth and spoke. “So where’s your family?” I asked. He shook his head. “It’s only me, my mom and dad died in a crash but I have a brother who hates this place so he’s in New York at the moment. I nodded. “Listen,” he began, “I’m kind of having a few guests over tomorrow and I hope you won’t mind staying,” He said. “No,” I thought. “Um…” I began. “Actually, “He cut in, “You can’t go anywhere with those feet, who knows if they could get infected and then you’ll have to amputate them.” I gulped and looked away. “Ok,” I said, “I’ll stay. “By the way I didn’t get your name,” He said. “Um I’m Ann,” I lied. “Nice to meet you I’m Isacc,” He said. I nodded and he shook my hand.

                He hopped up and then smiled. “So I should get ready someone special is coming,” He said. “Who?” I asked. “It’s a long story,” He said. I smiled and he sat back down. “I’m supposed to see a girl,” He said. My eyes widened. I held up my hand. “Don’t tell me,” I said, “You’re going to get married.” His smiled disappeared. “Before you continue can I ask one tiny detail?” I said. He nodded. “Where am I?” I asked. He looked at me quizzically before answering. ‘We’re not to far from the Amish village,” He said. My eyes almost dropped out of their sockets. “Amish,” I croaked. “Like big beards, suspenders farming...” I listed. Everything suddenly made sense. “Why Dad, why did you want to do this to me, I’m your only daughter,” I cried inwardly. “Hey we’re not all like that,” Isacc began. My head shot up. “You’re one of them?” I asked. He nodded slowly. “I’m not going to infect you or anything,” he said.  I stared at him perplexed. “But you have TV and and,” I said. He smiled. “Sure I’m Amish but I embrace the life I live in,” He said, “I’m sort of an innovator,” He finished. “But you beard?” I asked. He smiled and passed his hand on the barely visible stubble on his chin. “We don’t grow a beard until we’re married,” He said, “But I’m rethinking that.”

                I let out a breath. Somehow I felt relief. I looked up and smiled. “Atleast you get to see your bride,” I said. His eyes contracted. “I don’t know,” He said. I glanced at him and saw him rubbing his chin.”What?” I asked. “I’m meeting her family because of my dad, he was partners with her dad and they sort of agreed when she was born to the marriage. “So she did not know?” I asked. He nodded. “I feel like her,” I said. He glanced up at me and I held my tongue. “Stupid!” I cried in my mind. “So it was arranged,” I said. He nodded. “I have to keep my father’s promise,” He finished. I nodded. Inside I was feeling like a lump of crap. “I’m sorry,” I said. “For what?” He asked. “For discriminating against your culture,” I said. He smiled. “You’re not the first to do so,” He said. “But you’re different,” I said. “Yes, but change can be good,” He finished. I smiled. “Even though I changed I still keep to my religion and my father’s promise,” He said. Suddenly I just felt like crying. I inhaled and then closed my eyes. “Can I sleep?” I asked He smiled and then helped me ly down and propped up a cushion as a pillow. He went up stairs and came back with a blanket. He covered me and then left. I sighed. And let the tears come. Hot and silent they came flowing down my face until they had put me to sleep.