Chapter 4

I ran until I saw a little boy coming up the road with a piece of stick. I stared at him and shook my head. His torn clothes and dirty face reminded me of a Neanderthal with more clothes on. I looked at him as he came closer. He stopped when he was about a yard away and stared at me. I stepped forward and called out. He nodded his head.”Excuse me,” I said, “What is this place called?” He stared at me and then his lips moved. He made some strange sound that I could not make sense of. I stepped closer and he stepped back. “What’s your mane?” I asked. He looked a bit braver. “Tom,” he said. I nodded. “My name is Amy,” I said. He nodded back. I ran back to the car and he followed me. I grabbed the bottle of cokes and ran back. He stopped, “Hey you can have this,” I said. He smiled but did not take it. “Ok,” I said, “So how do people around here are normally?” I asked. He shook his head and then took my hand. I flinched but held on. He showed me the land filled with crops and stopped beside one of them. “Uncle Joseph,” He called. He man in his late forties came over with an enormous grey-black beard, shirt and suspenders and a large hat. He smiled revealing a missing tooth. I smiled awkwardly and he shook my hand. His English was broken but he told me he was a farmer. He looked at me weird and I could only imagine the ruined makeup trailing down my face.

                I told him we were a new family on vacation. He smiled. After I said I had to go but he made me wait. He was out of sight for a good ten minutes before he came back with a sack. He handed the sack to the boy who took it and I thanked him. It was awkward but they were nice. Nice but scary looking with the beard. Tom led me back to the house where dad was outside. He handed the bag to dad and took the soda. I smiled and waved at him. Dad looked at me strange before opening the bag. He smiled and pulled out some corn. “Looks like its corn for dinner,” He said. I glared at him as my memories flooded my mind. Before he could even talk to me I had walked past him and made it inside. I rushed to my room and closed my door. It rattled and then shut. I flung myself on the bed and then cried out. My knee had bumped against something hard and my ribs felt like I was punched a few times. I got up and felt the bed. It was tough. I sighed and rolled off. I felt like lying anywhere but there. I dropped on the large woven mat at the feet of the bed and sat on it. Somehow it felt tons better than the bed.

                I sat with my back against the bed and then sighed. I loved my parents they were always there for me and never in a thousand years would I think they would plan my marriage and an arranged marriage too. A vision of a bearded man flashed into my eyes. I shook my head and closed my eyes. I wished I could be back home with Max hanging out waiting for a reply from our Universities. My eyes shot open when I though about it. If I became married I could only imagine what my University plans would look like. I picture of me wearing a long dress flashed in my mind and a child in my arms. I shook my head and looked towards the window. I had to do something and it had to be soon. A knock was heard and mom entered. At once I knew she had been crying. “Oh Amy,” She said. I hugged her as she sat next to me. She held me against her and cried. I cried with her. I think our tears could have drenched the mat. “I’m so sorry,” She whispered. I stared at her and then cleared my throat. “Mom why?” I asked. “Amy... I...” Her voice trailed off as dad walked in. “She’ll know when the time is right,” Dad said. I glared at him. He had been my friend for so many years and now he had changed. I glanced away and he spoke. “Amy you just need to meet him, you’ll see he’s different,” Dad said. I gazed at him and he continued. “He called and invited us to dinner.” My eyes shot up and then became smothered in tears. I clutched my legs and wept into them. “Ariel,” Dad said. I felt mom give me a gentle squeeze and then leave my side. I clung to my legs and cried.