Chapter 2

To my surprise we did not take the car. We walked past several buildings and entered a dimly lit building. I looked around and saw women dressed in cotton print dresses that looked as if they were from the sixties. The men were wearing rolled up shirts and pants with suspenders. “What the heck?” I thought, “Where were we. I glanced at mom’s face trying to gauge her reaction in the dark. She was expressionless. “Exactly what was she so emotional about in coming to this place I said? I felt like I was in a room filled with rednecks. I glanced up as I sat down and saw them gaping at us. “Geez,” I thought, “Couldn’t they at least keep their eyes in their sockets.” I rolled my eyes as a waitress came over. She had on a long cotton dress with an apron. Her hair was pulled back and hidden beneath a coif like thing that reminded me of a milkmaid from Switzerland. I smiled at my own thoughts and looked at the menu.  I furrowed my eyebrows.  Of course there were a few common dishes like mashed potatoes and corn pie but that was probable it. The other options consisted of a stuffed sheep pastry and some sort of stew that I could have sworn was beyond my experience in eating. I gulped and waited for dad to order. To my surprise he ordered as if he knew the place. The waitress smiled and then waited for us. I took the mashed potatoes and asked if there was any baked chicken. She screwed up her nose and I could tell she wanted to giggle. “If you mean roasted chicken,” she said. I nodded slowly.

                She waited as mom ordered and then we waited. “So Amy,” dad began, “Do you like the atmosphere?” he asked. I looked around, at the hicks that looked like they would breathe down our necks and managed a shrug. “It’s ok,” I said. I saw mom look away. The meal was silent after that. When we were finished dad paid and then we left. I shivered as I exited. The atmosphere was a bit too much fro me. We walked around a bit before heading back to the motel. I had to admit I felt as if we had come to an area that was far from anywhere I had ever been. I looked around looking for shops, malls, cafes but none did my eyes detect. “Dad?” I asked, “Where are the shops?” His smile faltered before he spoke. “It’s different down here,” he said. I nodded vigorously but he pursued the topic no further. We went back to our rooms after saying goodnight. I entered my room and shrugged my jacket off. I headed for the bathroom. I shook off my jeans and strap top and then opened the tap for the shower. I stepped under and a burst of cold water sent me against the wall. I gasped for a moment trying to catch my breath. I adjusted the water and realized that there was no hot water. “Damn,” I thought.

                I took a quick shower, wrapped up in the clean towel that was hanging near to the sink and then made my way out. I opened my first suitcase and pulled out the first things that came to me, it was a short summer dress. I rummaged till I found some clean underwear and then changed. I got in bed, threw over the covers and sighed. The water had me shivering. I pulled my jacket that I had thrown on the nightstand and opened the zipped up pocket. After retrieving my cell phone I flipped it open and saw that I had twelve miscalls from my friend Maxine. I smiled and texted her. “Hey what’s up I’m sorry I didn’t text back we had a long trip but we are in a hotel now.” I waited and my phone beeped after a few seconds. “I miss you Aims,’ I smiled. “You too Max,” I texted back. “I’ll text you when we reach,” I texted again. The phone was silent before it lit up. “Well you better,” the text read. I smiled and texted back “see you.” I fell asleep awhile after. I awoke late the next morning, it had to be jet lag, it had to be. I woke up and then my eyes flew around the room. For a fleeting second I forgot I was in the motel until my eyes rested on the suitcase. I smiled and got out of bed. I opened my two suitcases and pulled out my bath bag. Yes I have several different bags for my stuff. I have a bath bag filled with my toothbrush, toothpaste, girl stuff and other things I thought I’ll need. I had my health bag which had emergency aspirin, band aids and other important stuff. I had a food bag which was filled with cheetos, nachos and a few other snacks. What?’ they were food right, well sort of and of course there was my make up bag.

                I pulled out some clean underwear and a new jean with a black tee. I smiled and pulled out my makeup bag. I felt like dressing today. I ran to the shower, this time careful to make sure it was warm. “Damn!” It was still cold. I torturously took my chilling shower and donned my clothes. I smiled in the mirror and pulled out my makeup. I pulled out a Mac palette with black and other deep colors, my compact and a plum colored lip gloss. I put on some powder, and did my eyes with a blended dark shade, after I put on some lip gloss and stepped back. I smiled but felt out of place. I ignored the feeling and came back outside. There was mom. She saw sitting on the bed holding onto something. I smiled and said good morning. She looked up with glassy eyes and smiled. “Hey sweetie,” She said. I came and sat down by her. “What’s up?” I said. She smiled a wan smile and put the cloth on my lap. “What’s this?” I asked. “Your dad’s gift, he wants you to wear it,” She said. I looked at her and then held up the clothes. “No way was I wearing it. “Mom has dad gone nuts?” I asked. She stared at the clothes silently. “I’m not wearing,” I said. She looked up. “Oh sweetie he wants you to feel welcomed to the place he’s taking us,’ she said. I glared at the dress. It looked just like the dress the waitress wore only it was a bit more new. “Fine,” I said. “And here’s the shoes,” she said. “What, why didn’t I think about that,” I said.

                She smiled and left after she had handed me them. “Hey your dad will come to get your stuff,” She said and then disappeared through the door. I groaned and made my way back to the bathroom. The dress was purple and black. I put it on and stood back. It reached my ankles. “What the heck,” I thought, “Who was I trying to be a nanny,” I took the box mom had given me and opened it. I loved shoes; they were one of my hobbies. I inhaled as the new scent crept up to me. My eyes widened and I stopped midway. “What the?” I cried. There they lay, the most heinous thing that man had concocted to betray me. I gulped as pair of chunky black heels with some sort of netting and a large silver buckle graced my eyes. “Why,” I thought. I slipped them on and stared at my reflection. There was no way I was taking out my makeup. I went back in my room and pulled out my makeup bag. I took out a pair of pearl drop earrings and a matching necklace and slipped it on. Hey I had to keep up mu appearance somehow. Dad knocked and I opened the door. He stared wide eyes at me. “Um Amy you look great, but...” “Hey Dad,” I said, “Great morning.” I patted his shoulder and walked past him and down the stairs. Somehow I had a feeling he was going to tell me about the makeup.