40. The Hope.

Chapter 40- The Hope.

I had been waiting for Lexi to wake up for a month. Four whole weeks, every week killing that little bit of hope I thought I had.

Right now, most of my family were gathered around Lexi's bed chatting and whispering into each others ears. I sat by the side of Lexi, not saying a word.

Lexi looked worse than she did before. She looked whiter, dirtier and lifeless. Her body was slightly cold and she looked so much skinnier. Her arms and legs were meat less, leaving her looking fragile and limp. Like even the slightest touch could shatter her into a million pieces.

A couple of days back, the doctor told us Jake had passed away. As he was in the front, he had the most impact of the car, leaving him in a coma for just three weeks before finally giving in.

Finding out finally gave me some relief. I should have been happy, but truth is, I was now just as scared. Reality really hit home and I truely believed things could get worse for Lexi. If it happened to Jake, who's to say it couldn't for Lexi, too.

I was also hoping Jake would suffer for what he did. Passing away seemed like the easier way out for him, it wasn't enough for me. I would have tortured him, made him suffer. But atleast I knew he was gone for good. Out of our lives and away from Lexi.

The police have been in for questioning. I have been questioned so many times in the last few weeks over the incident. That also scared me, I didn't want to get arrested and not be here for Lexi when she awoke. I didn't want the police questioning her either.

I told the police about Jake, roughly what he was trying to do. I also told them something happened between Lexi and Jake in the past, but I couldn't go into detail.

I haven't left Lexi's side all month. My parents or Brooke would gather items from my house and bring them back here for a clean up. It wasn't the best but it was enough. I couldn't leave Lexi, and with the days going by, my heart connected to hers just that little bit more, pulling me in stronger and stronger.

I just needed her to wake up.

"Oh yes, yes! That was such a great day!" My aunt Tina squealed. I looked away in annoyance. How could she squeal in happiness when the love of my life was fighting for her life in the bed beside her?

Most of my family here haven't met Lexi yet, some of them didn't even know, yet my mother still invited them during visiting times tonight. I didn't want them here, I knew it was horrible, but I just wanted to be alone.

They were my family, they were here to give me support, but all they were doing was annoying me and frustrating me further.

"Good job Mikey, boy. You're girl is a stunner!" My uncle Dennis explained. Tina and Dennis were married and have been for 30 years. Dennis was my fathers older brother. Nobody in the family even liked them much, they were rude and inconsiderate. So why were they here?

My eye twitched in anger. Why was he looking at her like that? Especially as she was in a coma and looking deathly pale. I decided to ignore him. I got up and raced to the toilet. I needed to get away before I exploded.

I sat down on the seat of the toilet and laid my head in my hands and sighed.

After a couple of weeks I had stopped talking to many people. I was too upset and broken to get the words out. I usually sat on the chair next to Lexi to gaze out of the window, hoping, praying and wishing that Lexi would just open her eyes.

As the days went by, I got more and more desperate. My heart sinking into the pit of my stomach and my anger boiling. I couldn't take it anymore, I needed Lexi, I couldn't live without her. I couldn't live now. I have barely eaten, talked, moved and slept. I was ruined inside and out. I needed her. I had had enough.

Jumping up and running into the room, I buried my hands in my hair with frustration. With a sudden desperation, I began to shout.

"Lexi, wake up!" I shouted while running to her and shaking her shoulders. "Please, I need you!" I screamed as I continued to shake her body. I needed her to wake up, I needed her to open her eyes and come back to me. "I'm going crazy without you, please, please wake up!"

I was suddenly being pulled back. The shouting and squealing going on behind me was deafened by the desperation in my head.

"Michael, no!" My mother screeched. I tried with all my hardest to get out of the strong grip my cousin had me in. "Stop it! Michael, stop it now!" She continued to scream.

Suddenly, I stopped what I was doing as the sobs racked through my body. I didn't have the strength to power against my cousin, Kyle. I barely had the strength to stand. I collapsed to my knees as the tears began to fall. I had finally broken down again. All month I had been out of tears, out of strength, and right now, I couldn't get the years to stop. My sobs were powerful.

"I'm sorry, but you all are going to have to go now." I heard my father say to everyone as they all began to leave. As soon as everyone was gone, my mother got to her knees to comfort me.

"What was that?" She whispered.

"I-I can't stand it anymore, I can't live without her!" I sobbed. My mother led me up to my feet and dragged me over to Lexi's body. I grabbed hold of her hand.

"It's hard, I know. It's been a whole month of torture for you hasn't it?" My mother questioned. I nodded my head.

"I miss her so much, mum. I can't take it anymore, seriously, I can't take it!" I raised my voice. " Lexi, please, please wake up!" I pleaded. I collapsed into the chair as I laid my head beside her body.

Suddenly, the most magical thing happened. I felt Lexi's hand squeeze mine. It was weak, and I could barely feel it, but I knew it happened.

"She just squeezed my hand!" I shouted in delight.

"You're feeling things Michael. Please, sit down and take a few deep breaths before you make yourself seriously ill." My mother demanded. I shook my head frantically. I stood up to stroke Lexi's face.

"No, no! She squeezed my hand, I felt it!" I said frantically. "Come on, baby. Do it again, squeeze my hand for me again. Come on, love, you can do it!"
I pledged. I felt Lexi's hand weakly clamper over mine once again.

My breath hitched and my smile nearly masked the whole of my face. My heart started to beat faster and everything was suddenly starting to look up. Things really could change.

"She just did it again!" I shouted.

"Dave, go and get a doctor, quick!"

"Oh my God, mum. She squeezed me hand!" I nearly squealed like a girl.

Lexi's eyes then began to flicker slightly. I gasped and started to stroke her hair. Suddenly, her eyes began to crack open. They didn't open much, the light must have been to bright for her sensitive eyes.

"Baby, can you hear me?" I asked with alarm. Lexi nodded her head weakly. The tears began to pour out of my eyes again, this time in happiness. I heard my mum gasp. "Oh baby." I sobbed. "I missed you so so much. I love you. I love you." I stated over and over again as I kissed every inch of Lexi's face.

She was still weak and pale, but atleast she was awake.

The doctor suddenly came barreling into the room.

"She's awake doctor!" I stated.

"Yes, this is great news. But we must do check up for any signs of brain functioning problems or memory loss." The doctor explained.

"What do you mean?" I asked, starting to panic.

"Well, the longer the person is in a coma for, the worse the outcome. Lexi may suffer memory loss and or brain functioning problems because when you are in a coma, only minimal of the brain is functioning, every other part shuts down." The doctor continued.

I looked at Lexi with worry.

"Don't worry, my love. Everything will be okay." I promised before kissing her forehead and moving away.

I was so happy Lexi was finally awake. This day was seriously the best. My heart had suddenly lifted and everything became so much brighter. I missed her so much, I had been going crazy.

However, I was still nervous and worried about Lexi's health. I hope she could recover. I needed her to get better now she was awake. I couldn't lose her again.

After a couple of tests, the doctor finally had stopped interrogating Lexi into doing things. Moving her eyes to follow her finger, squeezing her hands and moving certain limbs of her body.

"Is she okay?" I asked. The panic suddenly washed over me like a wave again. I was so nervous. What if she couldn't remember the times we spend together? Or the first time we kissed? What if she couldn't remember me?

"She is a miracle. From the tests, she seems to remember most things. There is no sign of anything wrong with her brain or body. However, you must immediately seek one of us if she does seem to forget anything at all. She will have to stay here for another week or two until it is safe to take her home. She's fine Mr Knight." The doctor smiled. I let out a rushed breath before thanking the doctor and making my way to Lexi.

"Do you want me to ring Brooke?" My mother asked. I nodded my head and mouthed a thankyou to my parents before taking hold of Lexi's hand.

"Can you speak?" I asked. Lexi shook her head before shakily lifting her hand and pointing to the water cooler. I smiled before pouring her some water and putting it against her lips. "There you go baby." I whispered. As soon as she was finished I put the water back down.

"How long have I been asleep?" Lexi croaked. I smiled in delight. She spoke back!

"A month." I stated. Lexi looked up to me with confusion.

"Really?"

"Yep, and I missed you so so much."

"I missed you too." Lexi smiled weakly. "Where's Jake?" Lexi suddenly asked me with a look of worry and nervousness on her face.

"Don't worry, baby. He won't get to you again." I promised. "I am so sorry for what I did. I shouldn't have let you go, I shouldn't have let you out of my site. I should have protected you like I told you I would. I promise, I will do whatever I can do to protect you from here on out. I am so sorry baby. I love you so so much, please don't leave me."

"Don't be silly, I wouldn't leave you." Happy tears began to prick my eyes once more. "Don't cry, Mike." Lexi let out weakly and softly.

"I'm sorry. I've just missed you so much. I thought I lost you." I croaked.

"I'm here now." Lexi stated. Her eyes began to droop slightly and her voice was getting softer and softer.

"What are you doing? What's happening?" I panicked?

"Chill out, I just feel abit sleepy." Lexi stated before closing her eyes.

I squeezed Lexi's hand.

"Lexi? Babe?" I said in worry.

"Son, she's sleeping. Don't panic, she's awake and breathing." My father suddenly said from behind. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thankyou so much, dad." I thanked, for everything.

"Don't mention it." He stated.

Suddenly, Brooke came rushing into the room.

"Is she okay?" She puffed.

"Everything's okay. She's just sleeping now." I said with a smile. Brooke let out a sigh of relief before smiling and wiping the tears away.

"Thank God." She muttered before making her way to Lexi and retrieving her hand. "Hey, bestie. I can't wait until you wake up from your little nap, I have some serious gossip." Brooke stated while sitting in the seat next to her.

I smiled before looking out of the window. I mentally thanked God, I thanked everything and everyone for helping Lexi through this. It wasn't Lexi's time to go, I know that now. This was the most magical day, my girl was finally awake, and I was finally whole again.

----------------------------------------------------
Vote vote vote vote vote vote vote
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lexi is awake! Yes!

Okay, so there's going to be one more chapter and an epilogue now:) so two more chapters:D

I love you all, I seriously do!

Please vote, vote and vote! VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Comment what you thought:)

Hope you enjoyed, lyyyyyyy