12. The Parents.

Chapter 12-The Parents.

"What do I wear?" I muttered to myself while I sprawled out across the sofa.

Michael went straight home after I forcefully agreed to meet his parents. Now I was still deciding on what to wear. Do I wear a dress? Or do I just wear a pair of plain jeans and a shirt?

"Well, obviously I wouldn't go all out considering you're not even his girlfriend. Take it casual but not too casual," Brooke said while shrugging her shoulders.

"Yeah, you're right. I've only got an hour to get ready. Should I get ready now?" I asked sounding bored and tired. I was tired. My head was still hurting and I'm sure my eyes were getting heavier by the second. I just wanted to go back to bed, but I guess that wasn't an option anymore. Brooke shrugged again.

"Up to you, isn't it? I would if I was you though'" Brooke stated. I nodded my head.

"Can't I just decline and take a rain check?" I whined childishly. Brooke shook her head.

"Nope, you need to go. You told him you would go, so you're going," she scolded.

I buried my body further into the sofa. It was like living with a mother. It was great, but weird.

I sighed before standing up and dragging my body up the stairs and into my room. I was seriously regretting agreeing to this dinner party or whatever they wanted to call it. I was tempted to call it off and say I couldn't come. But on second thoughts, I knew I had to for Michael and for Brooke. Maybe Brooke had plans. I couldn't call it off and ruin everyone's plans, it wasn't fair.

I couldn't help wondering how weird these last couple of months have been. If someone told me that I would be living happily in a house with a great friend, having a job, having another weird friendship with a man who isn't Jake and meeting his parents I would have laughed.

Funny thing is though, that's what was happening. Everything just changed so fast. I didn't think I could keep up with my life anymore. I was getting happier, that wasn't lie.

I was getting better and more confident as a person, which was great. I'm no longer living in fear that I may get beaten to a pulp in the evening. I now only live in fear of being found.

There are many states and places in America so the chances are I could be free forever. However, leaving so suddenly and not knowing what Jake is doing leaves so many questions in my head. Has he got another girl? Is he trying to find me? What is he going to do? It was petrifying to think of the answers to these questions, I think I'd rather not find out at all.

I flopped backwards onto the bed and sighed in frustration. This was a proper girl emergency. I didn't have anything but jeans and comfortable clothes. I had one dress which Brooke forced me to buy but it was way too classy and expensive for this occasion. I'm not even his girlfriend, I don't need to dress up.

I suppose I could try and make something good out of what I have. Maybe my favourite pair of jeans and a glamorous looking top? I stood up and made my way over to the closet. I opened the door and started looking through the small area of clothes, taking items of clothing off of their hangers and flinging them behind me. Nothing seemed to be good enough.

After the hangers looking bare and making my closet seem like a pig sty, I was now even more frustrated than how I started. I mentally screamed. Why did I have to agree to this? I can't handle any of this.

"Lexi?"Brooke called out.

"What?" I snapped. I then sighed in guilt. "I'm sorry! I'm just so frustrated! I can't find anything," I sighed. I heard Brooke chuckle and I looked at the half open closet door with a strange look.