38. The Loss.

Story promotion;

Name; lerifairyxo

Called; Every Thought Of You.

Description;
When Maisie's parents die in a shooting, her and her elder brother Cole take a trip to America to help them recover. Since she was knocked unconscious looking for cover at the shootings, Maisie's been having dreams of 'a boy'. Could they find the boy who saved Maisie's life the fatal day of the shootings and could they discover what these visions of 'the boy' are about. But more importantly, could Maisie discover something she's been craving for since the loss of her parents. Could she find love?

******************

Chapter 38- The Loss.

Through early morning the next day, Lexi had finally been taken to the intensive care unit. I was distraught that there was a chance that she may never wake up, but at least I knew she was stable for now and things could go either way.

Throughout the time Lexi was being moved, I had tried to find a doctor who operated on Lexi, so they could tell me if my baby survived.

I also knew Jake was being treated somewhere in this hospital, but I didn't know what was happening with him. I should have felt guilty that he had nobody here to wait for him, or comfort him, but truth is, I wasn't guilty at all. I was glad he was lonely.

"Doctor!" I shouted, as soon as I saw a doctor through the deserted halls. "Do you know anything about the operation on Lexi Cooper?" I asked with frantic need.

The doctor looked up to me with confusion. "I've only just started my shift, sir. I don't know anything about it yet, I'm sorry for your inconvenience." The doctor apologised.

I huffed off in annoyance. Giving up, I decided to go up to Lexi's room to check if she was allowed visitors now. Brooke went home to collect some items for Lexi and I. I wasn't planning on leaving.

I stood outside her door and took a deep breath. I was scared to go in and see the aftermath. I didn't want to see the paleness of her face.

I pushed open the door and it felt like the world had stopped spinning as soon as I laid eyes on Lexi. Her face was as white as a sheet, so deathly pale. There were bruises scattered across her gorgeous face, leaving me feeling equally as bruised on the inside.

"Oh baby." I sobbed as I went and sat down on the chair next to her. I took her delicate hand in mine. "I miss you, baby. I miss you like crazy. I'm so sorry you are here and not in my arms." I apologised.

Brooke kept telling me it wasn't my fault, but I couldn't take any notice of her, whatever she said I knew it was partially my fault. A lot of things happened that I wished never did. I regret half the things I did that day, things could have been different.

"I love you so so much. I've fallen head over heels for you, you're gorgeous, sweet and the most amazing girl I've met. Please baby, wake up for me. Maybe not now, maybe not in a week, but baby, please wake up. I love you." I whispered while laying my head on Lexi's hand.

I couldn't help but reminisce the memories we shared. The first time we kissed was one of my greatest memories. The feeling that came out of the kiss really hit me. As soon as my lips touched hers, the attraction was so over powering, so strong. It felt as if I was being lifted from the surface with electricity shooting from my every pore.

Reality really hit home. These memories were just memories. What if we could never relive them again? What would I do if I couldn't see, hear, or touch Lexi again? If something happened, I'm sure a part of me would go with her. A huge part of me.

Suddenly, a nurse softly made her way through the door. I jumped up from my seat like an eager dog.

"Thank God." I whispered. "Please tell me you know about my baby. Did my baby survive? Please tell me my baby survived!" I pleaded frantically.

"Are you Miss Coopers' boyfriend?" The nurse asked, not answering the question like I hoped she would.

"Yes, yes! Please, please just tell me!" The nurse looked up to me with sympathy and pity edged on to her face.

"I'm so sorry, sir, we couldn't keep the baby alive. It went through too much trauma to survive." The nurse said with softness. A tear escaped my eye again.

I slowly moved backwards, until I collapsed into the chair. I laid my head on the bed and let the tears fall.

"Once again, I am sorry, sir." The nurse apologised. I nodded my head hoping the nurse would leave. I didn't want her to see a grown man cry, I wasn't ashamed, I just wanted to be alone with Lexi.

The nurse left a couple of minutes later after knowing the machines and Lexi were doing just fine. She didn't say anything or even make that much noise, which I was grateful for.

My baby didn't survive. I didn't even get the chance to see it, to know it, to bond with it. I didn't even know what gender it was, and I was never going to know what could have been. What if the baby was the only thing that kept me and Lexi together? Deciding Lexi wanted to leave me.

I didn't want the baby for that, I wanted the baby because I wanted a family, I wanted a family with Lexi. I had always dreamt of having my own child, with the most gorgeous wife. At the time I knew my dreams were far away, when in reality they were right in front of me, and knowing my dream could have come true to get them crushed by the nurse is heart breaking.

But I still had Lexi, who was also my dream, and even without the baby, I'd still love her as much as I do now. I loved Lexi and I loved the baby, I always will.

"I hope you didn't hear that, baby." I whispered. I didn't want her to know just yet, I didn't want her to hear that, not like this. I knew that when she woke up, I would have to tell her. It was going to be so hard, but there was no other way. "Why didn't you tell me I was going to be a daddy? Even though that Christmas present was the best one I have ever received. In fact, it's in my pocket right now." I stated.

I took the present out of my pocket and gave it a quick kiss before laying it next to Lexi. "This is going to be your lucky charm, baby. Because our baby is looking down on us and protecting you. Whenever you feel lonely while your sleeping, just know that me and the baby are always here for you and that we love you." I croaked, while yet another set of tears escaped my eyes.

I gave Lexi a lingering kiss on the cheek before settling down beside her. "I'm not going to leave, my little bunny." I promised.

Just as I closed my eyes, the click of the door resonated throughout the hospital room. I cracked my eyes open and sighed in relief once Brooke came barrelling in.

"I've got you a few clothes and toiletries and things. There are flowers off Kevin and a few off the neighbours too." Brooke explained while piling them all onto the table. I nodded.

"What's the matter?" Brooke suddenly asked while looking at me with worry.

"The baby." I muttered. Brooke gasped before making her way up to me.

"What do you mean? D-did the baby...?"

"Yes. My baby didn't survive." I whispered. I didn't want Lexi to hear this, I was certain she could hear me. I got up and moved Brooke to the other end of the room. "I don't want Lexi to hear us." I stated. Brooke looked at me with confusion.

"She won't be able to..."

"She can, I know she can hear us sometimes. I don't want her to hear this." I cut her off. Brooke nodded anyway.

"What did the nurse say?" Brooke asked.

"She said the baby didn't survive because the baby went through too much trauma, they couldn't keep my baby alive." I explained.

"Oh Michael." Brooke gasped. She took me into another hug while I could feel her tears soaking up the back of my t shirt. I wrapped my arms around her for comfort.

"Kevin will be up tomorrow, if that is okay with you?" Brooke suddenly sniffled after a couple more minutes of crying. I nodded my head.

"That's okay. Where is he now?" I asked.

"In the house, he didn't want to intrude." Brooke stated. Kevin and I didn't get off on the right foot, but I believe he is genuinely an okay guy. We weren't friends at first because I was a jealous fool. "Do you know anything about Jake?"

"I've heard nothing, and I don't care either." I grumbled.

"Yes, but what if he didn't survive? If he did he would get taken to jail anyway. You know as soon as Lexi wakes up, the police will be over for questioning." I groaned in annoyance.

"Damn them." I mumbled.

"It has to be done, especially if you want Jake taken to jail." I nodded my head in understanding.

I looked over at Lexi, and so did Brooke. We spent a couple of minutes looking at Lexi, deep in thought. It was silent, but that was a good thing.

"Brooke?" I suddenly whispered.

"Yes?

"Why does it hurt so much? Why am I in pain? Losing my baby was hard enough, but what if I lost Lexi aswell?"

"Because you're in love, Michael. Love is the best feeling ever, but it can leave you feeling the worst pain. The higher you fly the harder you fall when things go wrong, so you must have been flying damn high, Michael. It's the same for Lexi, too, you know." Brooke stated. "And don't think negative about this. Lexi is a fighter, she'll pull through, I know she will." Brooke reassured, I had a feeling she was trying to reassure herself more than me.

"What happened with her and Jake? Why did he even do all of this?" I asked. I knew something happened in the past between Lexi and Jake, but I couldn't quite fit the pieces together. It hurt to know Lexi kept things from me too. I knew Jake broke the trust between the two because I knew Lexi had issues trusting me. She was fragile, vulnerable and scared, I could see it through her eyes. Jake must have really left Lexi broken. Why would he do such a thing?

"Look, I can't tell you, it's not fair on you or Lexi. Lexi will tell you when she wakes up, she will if you ask. I'll tell you one thing though, her past was awful with Jake. Jake's a sick man, a very sick man." Brooke stated, deathly.

Many scenarios were running through my mind, but I didn't know which scenario was the one. I was furious with Jake for leaving Lexi the way she was. I hated Jake, I despised him. If he wasn't dead, I'd kill him anyway. When Lexi wakes up, I am going to get the story out of her, I need to know what happened between them both.

"I hope he rots in hell, he took away Lexi and my baby." I stated.

"Trust me, I do too."

---------------------------------------------
Vote. Vote. Vote. Vote. Vote. Vote
-----------------------------------------

Here you go, my fans:))) man, I love you allllll so much! We have only a couple of chapters left, including the epilogue! Wow, wowowowow.

!!!!!!!! VOTE GUYS, VOTE IF YOU WANT LEXI TO SURVIVE!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed it!! X