Truth or Dare: Chapter 37

***A/N: I will *try* to upload as much as I can [after all, the Watty Awards end in November and I need this done by then-- crap.  Aha anyways...

<-- VOTE/LIKE/TWEET/+1?!  VV Comment?!  Thanks for sticking with me so far, and enjoy!

************************************************************************************************************

By forgetting the past and by throwing myself into other interests, I forget to worry. ~Jack Dempsey 

“What do you want?”  I asked.  I had meant for it to sound tired but it came out much more bitter and cold-hearted than I had originally planned.  Blake immediately sat up at the tone of my voice and shot me a worried look which I returned with a weak smile.

“We think you should come back,”  the voice said softly at the other end, obviously catching my harsh tone.

I bit my lip while taking in a shaky breath, my mind flowing with different retorts that I wanted to say but my mouth refusing to cooperate.  I don’t know what prompted it, but I raised my gaze pleadingly towards Blake to help.  As if through a mutual connection, he held out his hands, beckoning for the phone.  After a hesitant moment, I handed it over, feeling slightly more relieved that I didn’t have to talk to him again.

Him.

Is it possible for someone to want to break down because of a word?

Nervously, I shook away the thought, instead turning to focus at Blake who was listening intently to the person on the other end.  After a while, his somewhat indifferent expression turned to something I could not identify.  Puzzled, I felt the tension within the air and watched as he slowly clenched his hands.

“Yea,”  Blake finally said after a while of listening, his voice sounding strained.  “Well, you don’t understand anything, cousin.”  He spat out the last word in disgust, and I flinched slightly away at his sudden change in attitude.

My mind quickly worked out the conversation, feeling nearly positive that they were talking about yours truly: moi.  Shifting uncomfortably, I pretended to be interested in some pigeons that were currently fighting over who would get the last piece of stray bread that had fallen to the floor.  Though my eyes curiously raked over the birds, my ears perked up as I notice Blake begin to speak again.

“What the heck?  Look here, Ethan, I don’t care what your stupid excuse is,”  Blake said tightly.  Awkwardly, I shifted from foot to foot, unsure what to do.  Gingerly, I tilted my head up towards the sky, pretending to examine a miniscule speck in the distance while listening in on the conversation at the same time.  

Excuse?  I mused, resisting the urge to rub my chin as if I had a beard.  Are they talking about-- my mind practically choked on the word, refusing to even let me think it.  Are they talking about it?  I finally forced out of my mind.  Stop over dramatizing, Kylie, I chided myself, feeling extremely self-conscious at this internal conflict.

“Calm down.”  Startled by his sudden change in voice, I turned back to look at him.   His composure, in general, looked much more relaxed.  “We’ll meet you there, okay?”  Without even a good-bye, he roughly stabbed the ‘end call’ button and passed my phone back to me.  “We’re going to meet them again.”

“Now they remember us.”  I rolled my eyes.

“Actually, they wanted me to bring you back but I offered to try and get your mind off of things so they agreed,”  he contradicted.  On the inside, I smiled a bit, knowing that at least they hadn’t completely abandoned me.