Truth or Dare: Chapter 17

We were having one of those great first dates you can only have when it's not an actual date.  ~ Sarah Jessica Parker

By the time Saturday night came, I had an overwhelming amount of friend requests, messages, and wall posts, all about how I managed to get a date with Ethan.  Everyone in the group had eventually gotten around to make a Facebook to both my satisfaction and my disappointment.  It was nice to be able to concentrate on my homework without Facebook being pulled constantly up.  Since I didn’t tell anyone, I’m guessing Ethan was the one who spread the message out. 

Even my Vegas friends found out, which proves that they were stalking my wall.  Dylan and Josh were constantly teasing me about getting a date.  For example, a specific message from Dylan said: “Hey kylie, u can give me back the stuffed animal from x-mas, it seems u wont be needing it anymore(; *waggles eyebrows suggestively from vegas*”  

I responded: “I actually prefer to keep them, but thank you so much for your generous offer.  You are too kind.”

Elena and Alyssa, on the other hand, were overly ecstatic, demanding photos every time we talked, and then gushing over how cute it was: me dating behind my parents back.  It was a forbidden relationship if you will, something they found extremely cute.  I felt so bad, not rebel bad, but just plain bad about doing it.

‘Mr. Popularity was going out with the new kid’ was now the main talk around the school.  I swear, if our school newspaper didn’t get canceled a few years back (due to a fire extinguisher incident and a dog), it would be the headline.  I could see it in my mind: Ethan White going out with __(our reporters keep on forgetting her name, but we know she‘s new and not even that cute plus she can‘t skateboard to save her life)__.

Okay, maybe not that bad, but pretty darn close to it.

Wow, I’m a terrible person; I’m lowering my own self-esteem.

It wasn’t that big of a deal, was it?

Then again, the thing Becca was about to say a couple days back kept on echoing over and over again in my head, and I was desperate to find out what she meant.  Desperate enough to ask her what she had meant to say, but she only turned her nose up in disgust, and ignored me.  And then, whenever I brought it up with Ethan, he would hastily change the subject and pretend he didn‘t hear me.  One thing was for sure, he had something to hide.  Something that almost everyone knows, everyone that is, except me.

Worst part was that no one would tell me.  Not even Chez or Ever, and I felt for sure they knew something about it.  Chez was still talking to me, acting completely happy for me, but Ever had been avoiding my glances a lot and talking to me less and less to the point where it became annoyingly awkward.  I wondered, briefly if it had anything to do with me and Ethan going out.  There were no ties that I could possibly put together, so I discarded that idea as preposterous.  Maybe she’s just been tired lately.

Most likely not.

Sighing in frustration, I glanced at the clock.  5:07 P.M.  I promised Chez I would be at her house by 5:30.  Getting up from my comfort zone, I stretched, yawned widely, then stumbled to the bathroom.  Feeling extremely irritated at my hair condition, I stepped into the shower and quickly washed my hair.  Wrapping a towel around myself,  I went outside into the freezing cold temperature of my room.

Anxiety pounded constantly through my ears, as I dug through my closet, wondering what exactly I should wear to a date.  Nervously, I pulled out clothes after clothes, digging deeper and deeper.  

Too formal?  Toss.  Too casual?  Toss.  Maybe?  I tossed it onto the floor, causing an ever growing pyramid of rejected clothing.  Ew, when was this from?  Tosses, in disgust.  MOM, WHEN DID YOU BUY ME THIS?  Tosses, feeling embarrassed.  Yes, I should totally wear a witch costume to the movies.  Tosses, laughing at the thought.