Truth or Dare: Chapter 28

***Author's Note: For all our short term memory people (which include me) the previous chapter ended like the following--

“Wait right here.,”  I ordered, stepping into the park to take a closer look at the two people sitting there.  I can’t be jumping to crazy conclusions; there is a reason for everything.  With that in mind, I walked close to them.  Jason, ignoring my order as usual, came along.

Soon, I came within the distance in which I could see them nearly perfectly fine, but I still couldn‘t hear them. 

At that distance, my breath caught in my throat.

Don’t judge too quickly; don’t jump to conclusions, I thought over and over again, gawking at the two people there.  First off, I hardly ever see them together in the first place.  Secondly, one of them was dating someone, so why weren’t they with them.  Thirdly, I had thought that the other had already liked someone else.

Enjoy(:

************************************************************************************************************

It was official.   This was shaping up to be the Most. Embarrassing. Day. Ever.  ~Helen Boudreau (from Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings)

Then again I could be jumping to conclusions.

I was surprised, though, that Jason could recognize that messy blonde hair and the slightly curled brown hair from so far off.  Dustin and Evelyn, without a doubt.  Silently, I debated on whether I should take the risk on creeping closer.  Finally, curiosity got the best of me, and I hopped to the next nearest oak tree, feeling very much like a spy.  The name is Kylie, Kylie Verita, Agent double-‘O’-seven, I thought wryly, seeing Jason follow in a very similar fashion.

Soon, I managed to creep close enough to hear snippets of the conversation.

“…she would…trouble…now things… complicated…”  I heard Ever say.

“She isn’t…know and… really… her.”  Dustin replied.

“…think I might…”

I strained my ears to hear as much as possible, but they kept on lowering their voices as if afraid to be overheard.

“What?”  Dustin almost screamed, and I cringed at the sudden noise.  “No way.”

“Maybe.”  Ever shrugged.

They were talking louder now; much, much louder.  Suddenly, I saw Dustin turn towards our direction, and I immediately held my breath out of pure nerves.  I let out a sigh of relief when he turned away.  Not wanting to push my luck, I gestured for Jason to get back onto the path we were originally on.

“Kylie?”  I heard Dustin call.  Biting my lips to prevent from responding, I immediately decided not to go anything.  Maybe he won’t think it’s me, I thought, embarrassed that I had been seen by someone.  I ducked my head even lower and hunched my back, letting my hair fall in front of my face.

“Kylie?”  another higher pitched voice said.  I dragged my brother by his hand, keeping my mouth tightly shut.

Suddenly, I felt a tight grip on my shoulder.  Startled, I gave a little jump and turned around meekly.  “Oh, hi, Dustin!  I didn’t see you there!  What a coincidence, I was just passing through, buying come milk for my mom because we ran out of milk at the house, and she is convinced we need all our--umph.”  I stopped my rambling as Dustin slapped a hand across my mouth.